G-8000 4CH Adaptor switch?

KCguy33

Hello,
I've had a G-8000 for about 6 months now, and I have always wondered exactly what the 4CH/NR Adaptor switch is for. I know that it seems function like a tape loop for an equalizer, and I just wanted to see if that's what it is supposed to be used for, or if it should be used for something else. Thanks!!

it is a "tape loop" type function that was designed for a 4 channel adapter. This would plug into the adapter loop and turn your system into a quadraphonic system. The adapter consisted of a decoder to decode the 4 channel matrix info on the appropriate media. it also had an amplifier so you could connect your rear speakers to. On the front panel were volume and fader controls to control the sound field, as well as tape inputs to make up for the fact that the unit might be hogging one of yours. There were some nice power meters as well.

You could also stick a Dolby Noise reduction unit on that same loop, hence the NR.

The most popular 4 channel adapter models from sansui were

QS-100
QS-500
QS-800
QS-800a

You see the 500 most often, but its decoders are primitive. the qs-100 is the earliest model and neat looking, but falls in the same line as the 500. The 800a has the biggest amp and the best decoders for the price.

jpdylon said:
The most popular 4 channel adapter models from sansui were

QS-100
QS-500
QS-800
QS-800a

You see the 500 most often, but its decoders are primitive. the qs-100 is the earliest model and neat looking, but falls in the same line as the 500. The 800a has the biggest amp and the best decoders for the price.
That's useful info. I've never seen an adapter but then again I didn't know they existed. I guess I'll have to start checking eBay for one. Does the QS-800a have a similar decoder to the ones used in the 9001/8001?

I'll post this in the So Cal get together thread but if somebody has one can they bring it on March 24th?

There are two QS-1's on eBay right now. Where do those fit into the lineup? Which is the best one to have?

didbird said:
This ad includes pics and basic info on two other decoder/synthesizes, the QSD1 and QSD2.
The QSD series were decoders only, and did not have an amplifier for the rear speakers. however they are the similar the the ones used in the 8001/9001. If you really want to get rare, the QSD-1000 is the top of sansui's outboard decoders.

duffinator said:
Does the QS-800a have a similar decoder to the ones used in the 9001/8001?
not quite. If I'm not mistaken the 800a has the hybrid vario-matrix decoder used in the QRX-7500a. its not quite on par with the x001 decoders, but its much better then the other models.

duffinator said:
There are two QS-1's on eBay right now. Where do those fit into the lineup? Which is the best one to have?
Forgot about the QS-1 It has the same decoders as the QS-100, 500 which are fairly simple Out Of Phase System (oops) decoders. There are no logic chips in them. This makes for poor rear channel separation, but they are cheap. Your best bet if you want an adapter with decent separation is an 800a

My G-8000 has the four channel adapter, my 9090DB does not. Does the QS-800a work with any receiver/amp that has a pre out? How rare is the QS-800a and what's a typical price for one on eBay?

Thanks

YOu don't use it through the pre-out jacks. Rather, its a high level device that is used through a loop like your tape lop, or in the case of some receivers, they ahve a 4-channel adapter loop specifically for this purpose. So to answer your question, it can be used with any receiver that has a free tape loop (tape rec/pb)

The typical 800a goes for about 40-85 dollars in working condition, more if minty. YOu can sometimes find them in TS, CL, or yard sales.

revive,
I'am using the au7500 for a preamp, with 4ch. id like to connect an qrx 001 to the 4ch, for the rear side of the stereo.
i was thinking i could utilize the au7500 for rears and connect the terminals from it to the the rear speaker.
upon reading this post, is that not possible, would i instead need to connect with the terminal from the 4ch adapter ( the x001 )
for rears sound.
if connecting an amplifier in my case the KA7300 to pre in on the au7500 are the preamp functions still made available on the preamp,
i read where if the jumpers are disconnected they may not. thanks.

ooo. if connecting an 4ch source say an akai 1800d ss which source am i to use for playback the 4ch source or the preamp

ok, however after gaining some useful information from various sources i have ascertained
it can be also used for a separate power amplifier. can someone verify this.

Typically a line level output (tape out/4chout/NRout, etc.) has a fixed volume level as it's normally at the same stage as the Tape Mon input, which means a lot of the time it's between the phono preamp and the 1st gain stage of the preamp/tone control circuit. Yes you could power a separate amplifier but the amp would need at minimum a volume pot, and if the Bass and treble is after the output (test and see if the BASS and Treble affects sound quality) you won't have tone controls for the amp either if you like tone controls.

I just read thru the whole thread. Typical connections as follows:
1.) Use the au7500 as the Front Channels (this is the PREFERRED location).
2.) The QRX-001 gets connected to the 4channel outputs on the au7500. The QRX-001 is used 4 the back channels ONLY!
3.) Connect the amplifier of your choice for the rear channels to the QRX-001.
4.) Connect speakers (FRONT) to the au7500.
5.) Connect speakers (REAR) to the 2nd amp connected to the QRX-001.

4ch setup.JPG

Back
Top Bottom