Ancient Computer for Ultimate Security?

MannyE

Exterminate!
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but let me finish dammit. :)

I was thinking that in order to keep safe a computer must be disconnected from the internet.

Modern computers are hobbled when disconnected from a constant online connection mostly because the productivity hardware like Office won't really function without it. The Office of the past, that came on 15 floppy discs, didn't care or even know what the internet was beyond maybe registration and email.

So keeping in mind that a computer running, let's say either Windows 3.1 or not as cool but probably more viable 95 can work offline really well and be used for banking, personal files etc etc without the worry of a virus coming in from the net...

What do you guys think?

I often joke that the best way to secure a computer is to remove the power cord.
I think keeping it offline/offnet and limiting access is a great start.
So have a more modern machine for the processing speed and multitasking, but don't grant network access.

It kills me how much of the national electrical grid and infrastructure is online ... hardened or not.

Having a dual-boot machine with Linux and Windows is also a good resource because most of the malware is targeted at Windows.

I often joke that the best way to secure a computer is to remove the power cord.
I think keeping it offline/offnet and limiting access is a great start.
So have a more modern machine for the processing speed and multitasking, but don't grant network access.

It kills me how much of the national electrical grid and infrastructure is online ... hardened or not.

That would work if I can get my hands on the older software that doesn't need "constant contact" . I just have to figure out what will work with modern 32 and 64 bit systems without needing an emulator, which is way too fiddly. It needs to work for the non-technical in the house as well.

I toyed with the idea of trolling the thrifts for an old computer, but maybe I don't need to go that far back to use the more modern Win 95 as the OS and search for the older versions of the software I need. I figure that if Win 95 works on a new computer, then I can put together a super cheap new one with an i3 that will be blazing fast.

That would work if I can get my hands on the older software that doesn't need "constant contact" . I just have to figure out what will work with modern 32 and 64 bit systems without needing an emulator, which is way too fiddly. It needs to work for the non-technical in the house as well.

I toyed with the idea of trolling the thrifts for an old computer, but maybe I don't need to go that far back to use the more modern Win 95 as the OS and search for the older versions of the software I need. I figure that if Win 95 works on a new computer, then I can put together a super cheap new one with an i3 that will be blazing fast.

The issue that you are going to run into is a lack of hardware drivers. Windows 95 will not have drivers for current hardware.

-Dave

Better yet, an old Mac will work wonders. I keep my financials on an old Mac just for such a reason. Imagine trying to get into one of those with no i'net connection.

For the most part, I think keeping your computer safe is not all that hard. Put behind firewall, use good antimalware software, keep updated with security patches, don't run as admin, etc. And, MOST of all, learn to recognize the signs of bogus links, requests/phishing, etc. After all, even the best security has reduced effectiveness if you ask for/invite the problem by opening the attachment, clicking the link, etc.

Personally, if you are using the computer for online stuff occasionally (you mentioned banking?), I think using an ancient (relatively speaking) version of OS and browser is inviting more trouble, not less.

The latest and greatest OS are the best bet.
Years of hardening has been put into it.

As said, use a firewall and something like Windows Defender.

As long as you never click a link in any email from unknown source you are pretty safe.

If you hover the mouse over a link, the address will show in the lower left on Windows stuff. If that address looks funky, it's a trap.

Most sites require newer browsers with better security. They won't deal with old known compromised software.

I do my email online and never download it.
Things like Adblocker keep crap out.

Never click OK when you get some BS window saying you need to upgrade something. Only do upgrades through the actual system update methods.

Windows has gotten pretty good about protecting itself and you. Other OS are not as common a target.

My safest machine has a 64 bit version of Windows Vista that I got on there as a contractor years ago. Since it's an internal release, it is unknown to everything and everybody including Microsoft. It won't even upgrade through Microsoft. It probably looks like an attacker to the rest of the world.

Yep. I keep self-sufficient applications on my hard drive and do not use cloud services for storage or saving anything. And I do cut wifi when I do not need it to be on. Does that mean that I use MS Office 2011? Yes, but it does way more than I have a need for anyway.

My main surfing / email computer and spreadsheet computer are separate. Spreadsheet computer is Win 7 which I keep updated and with WiFi off. I also have a piece of tape on the camera, lol.

Better yet, an old Mac will work wonders. I keep my financials on an old Mac just for such a reason. Imagine trying to get into one of those with no i'net connection.
My wife still uses a G4 iBook (early 2004) for writing duties.
She has an old copy of Word on it and other than battery issues, its still working fine.
Crazy robust, and minimal hacker issues with a G4 processor

not a bad idea but some versions of Windows are known to be high-jacked at first
connect into the web (I recall XP but I could be wrong),

like dual authentication, use two machines. One for only transactions to only known sites
for financial transactions and nothing else. the other for surfing and no access to the
other (use cascaded routers as a minimum to prevent intentional/unintentional
network-sharing) and use different logons and think about not using universal
logins (for common file sharing on all devices)

then use VMs, privacy controls, and maybe Tor, to prevent some ransomware
from working.

encrypt critical volumes and use multiple clouds (dropbox, onedrive, etc)
to back up like crazy in case your entire machine is ransomware encrypted.

then make sure there are NO loggers (key on desktops/laptops, packet
on routers, and cameras of any kind through phones, windows, USB power
adapters, etc.

then you're safe for the next 10 minutes.

I still use Wordperfect and Star Office. I used WP 8 on all computers until I started using Win 7. Now I use WP 10. Nobody would be able to open those files. I keep all my important saves on drive that stay disconnected except when doing transfers. I really don't have too much important stuff and that is on my own cloud.

i once thought of trying an ancient windows like 95 on a modern pc but it would be a chore finding someone to write the drivers needed . thinking about it 95 run pretty well good back then on the old pc.s . one of my thoughts were virus attacks might not bother such an old system .
then i tried ubuntu . sorry about that but it works for me . p.s i have a sealed box of 3.1 floppy disks somewhere . must hunt them down . i haven't seen them for years .

Most open source software doesn't need to "phone home" if thats a concern. The OS crowd tend to be a bit fanatical about privacy and security, so running Linux stuff can be a good option for the paranoid. I used to do all that, but I eventually got lazy. Anymore I just run adblock and the internal Windows anti-virus crap and don't do obviously foolish things. It seems to work for me.

Most open source software doesn't need to "phone home" if thats a concern. The OS crowd tend to be a bit fanatical about privacy and security, so running Linux stuff can be a good option for the paranoid. I used to do all that, but I eventually got lazy. Anymore I just run adblock and the internal Windows anti-virus crap and don't do obviously foolish things. It seems to work for me.

I'm the same. I know that Linux and all the rest are probably better, lighter faster etc, but I no longer have the time or frankly, the desire to fiddle with stuff and at the same time learn an entire new "logic pattern" if you know what I mean.

What about Windows 98? Isn't it a 32 bit system? 98SE?

i once thought of trying an ancient windows like 95 on a modern pc but it would be a chore finding someone to write the drivers needed . thinking about it 95 run pretty well good back then on the old pc.s . one of my thoughts were virus attacks might not bother such an old system .
then i tried ubuntu . sorry about that but it works for me . p.s i have a sealed box of 3.1 floppy disks somewhere . must hunt them down . i haven't seen them for years .

What about 98? I bet there are still some builds (and probably super cheap) that can run Win 98.

Another vote for Linux here, but even windows 7 would work great without internet, and drivers would be pretty much a non issue.

I assume you are worried mostly about hackers, not someone physically in front of the computer.

We're running Ubuntu at work and I'm getting used to it. I have it on VM in Windows 10 at home. The VM install is clunky but I managed to do everything I needed one day the first time I used it. I haven't been on a Unix type system in forever.

I should dig up a good used box and get a native Ubuntu installed. There seems to be no end of software available. Not that I need to use much outside of work.

Windows NT (3.51?) was solid once you had enough hardware to install it. Remember when 8 meg ram was huge?

Windows 95 wasn't NT code based.
I remember crashing it in 10 minutes with some mistakes in my C code.

Windows 2000 was nice.

Windows Server 2003 was a rock!
I worked on that at Microsoft.
Not many drivers but it never crashed.
We used it as a desktop system.

Windows XP, IIRC, needed service patch 2 before it was safe to go online. I've forgotten the name of the infection now. It's probably still out there.

As long as you only go to decent sites and don't click OK on pop up windows claiming you need to upgrade or click links in emails, your fairly OK.

There is some great freeware I like but you need to be careful where you get it. Any popular stuff gets hacked and jacked and offered in poison sites.

Back
Top Bottom