Fisher found on roadside dead -almost

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A friend called me Monday and said he found a small console on the roadside on trash day that says Fisher on it. He asked if he should leave it or pick it up for me. I said if it has tubes and isn't a block of rust I'd be interested.
It ended up being a very neglected Philharmonic console. Cabinet was in terrible shape and looks like it had been used as a workbench for decades and the sides were delaminating but the insides were beautiful! Amazing thing is it works really well even though the speakers were buzzing like a bee hive. Funny what people throw out but I'm guessing the cabinet had a lot to do with it's being out on trash day :p

Attachments

• Fisher console.jpg
    Fisher console.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Fisher console 2.jpg
    Fisher console 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 140
  • fisher console 3.jpg
    fisher console 3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 140
Pull the speaker boards, turntable board, and the Radio. What's the chassis #. It looks like a P-22 or P-28?

Pull the speaker boards, turntable board, and the Radio. What's the chassis #. It looks like a P-22 or P-28?
Chassis has 290-T on it. Has those unusual output tubes.
Found out why the speakers were buzzing. Someone poked quite a few holes through the front grills and the speakers.

1964 P-29 Philharmonic IV. The AT-6 should be salvageable. GAWD I hate kids and others who pencil or stick a perfectly good speaker. The ELL-80's are good for about 6-8 watts in push pull. Equivalent to two EL-95's. You've got the OPTIONAL MPX-77 Multiplexer in it. Now you can A/B a unit with the MPX-65 against it.

Same Philly chassis I have. Mine came out of a cabinet that was not nearly as bad but it was also damaged. Its a right decent amp. No mag phono stage but its got a very decent FM stereo tuner and a couple of line-level inputs. All self-contained and whatnot. Not a ton of power but it sounds good for the power it makes.

The AT-6 looks pretty good. It worked but the stylus was bad as it skipped across a record. I will A/B against a MPX-65 as this does have a great tuner section. It sure sounds great with decent speakers. Surprisingly good. Nice little amp/tuner combo.

Back
Top Bottom