Never thought I would ask... But

mmickk

What!!??....Wasnt me!
I would like some opinions from those who might have listened to two speakers. I have a pair of Polk SDA 2bs that I have been using for quite a few years now. However after moving to a much smaller place I have come to the conclusion that these are just not happy here. They sounded great in my old place as they had plenty of room. I think its time to pass them along and look for something that will work in my small room.

I have always liked Dynaudio speakers and was able to listen to a pair of emit m10's. They would be perfect for my new place. They are however pricey (for me) for such small speaker. I have heard good things about Elac uni-f1 UB5s but have not heard them. The price for them is almost half that of the Dynaudio emit m10.

Just looking for anyone's impressions between these two speakers? Thanks Everyone.

I hope someone here has heard both but it's going to be a crapshoot.

Would definitely recommend listening to anything you are planning to buy. But nothing wrong with asking for others' impressions first.

If you were to post some specs it might be easier to armchair it - driver compliment, sensitivity, power handling, freq. range, etc.

I have heard neither. If I had to guess, though, I would imagine the Elac's will sound similar to the Andrew Jones-designed Pioneer speakers, but with more detail, and better bass. You still might need a sub.

I would like some opinions from those who might have listened to two speakers. I have a pair of Polk SDA 2bs that I have been using for quite a few years now. However after moving to a much smaller place I have come to the conclusion that these are just not happy here. They sounded great in my old place as they had plenty of room. I think its time to pass them along and look for something that will work in my small room.

I have always liked Dynaudio speakers and was able to listen to a pair of emit m10's. They would be perfect for my new place. They are however pricey (for me) for such small speaker. I have heard good things about Elac uni-f1 UB5s but have not heard them. The price for them is almost half that of the Dynaudio emit m10.

Just looking for anyone's impressions between these two speakers? Thanks Everyone.

I've heard the ELACs. Very very nice.

I have the Pioneer BS-22-LR speakers by Andrew Jones in my study and they have a real nice sound. The Elacs are his work also, and I would go with them.

My present room is now my living room area and measures 12' wide by 22' long. The only way to setup is across the width due to entry door at the end. So the listening position is about 8-9 feet from the TV and speakers. It is difficult to position the SDA's properly from the side wall on the right while the left side opens into the dining/kitchen area, so I get reflections from the right speaker (about 2' from side wall) while the left side is open. I just sold the old house but the area I had my setup in was at least 4 times larger and very open. The SDA's just worked so well in that space.

I am running an Emotiva xpa-2 amp with the BasX pt-100 pre-amp. These should have no problems with either the Dynaudio or Elac speakers. They have handled the 6ohm load of the Polks just fine over the years.

I am already running a Velodyne sub. It took some work but found that aiming it up the length of the room it worked great with the Polk's. For movies and content with good bass they can really rock the room.

I haven't meet anyone that has heard the Dynaudios but man I was impressed how good they sound. Lively and accurate, good size for this room. But I assume that the Elac's would work well here as well. I need to find somewhere where I can listen to the Elac's. Just need find that place and a time I can work with.

Thanks again everyone.

My present room is now my living room area and measures 12' wide by 22' long.

Haven't heard the m10's but I like what I hear from AJ's offerings i.e. the BS22's and Elac B5 so I would guess his newest offerings would be a good bet.

Your new room has it's challenges. For now, try and hang a thick blanket on the right wall 'temporarily' at the first reflection point (this would be where if you put a mirror there, you could see the speaker in it). That may help bring the soundscape into more focus. If that helps we can come up with more attractive ideas.

Any speaker will have it's challenge in 'that' room but some will do better that others but try treating the room first. Good luck.

Maybe you should get smaller Polks of the same vintage. They made a bookshelf version SDA speaker, the SDA CRS. There's also the Monitor series.

Can I ask why you are only considering those two speakers when they aren't even at the same price point? Why not take some time, expand your search and listen to some speakers? That shouldn't be hard given that you live in Houston.

to Nightwisher // I think I am ready to move on from the SDA series at this point and am looking for something newer. All I really have are vintage speakers and if i need a vintage Polk fix I have my RTA 12c's that I doubt I will ever sell.

Cubdog // I have over the last year listened to several speakers that were pretty good but have not caught my attention like the Dynaudio's. So at this point I think that I am trying to justify spending what they cost. You know how it is, you want the best you can get without paying so much for it. :oops:

Thanks Guys..

Last edited:
If you LIKE the Dyna's, then WHY are you trying to find someone to talk you out of them? Get them. Yeah, they're spendy, in comparison. The Elac's are going to be good speakers, no doubt. But if you say the Dyanaudio's grabbed you, would you really be happy with something else? Buy once, cry once.

I went away from my SDA 1Bs with all the mods when I got a pair Snell KIIs. The Snell's had a richness to the midrange and smoothness to the high end the Polks couldn't match.

I have not heard either model but am familiar with many Dynaudios.

If the cost is a concern at all, I'd probably get the UB5s and never look back. If I needed a pair of speakers in roughly that size range, the UB5s would be at the top of my list.

On the other hand, if you've heard the Dynaudios and they curl your toes and you buy the Elacs, are you the kind of person that can live with knowing you bought something that is almost what you really want?

Not sure what Elac's return policy is or what the policy is for your local Dynaudio dealer, but the best choice would be to buy the Elacs and the Dynaudios and compare them in your space for a week and return the ones that you decide not to keep.

Back
Top Bottom