How loud do you normally listen to music?

75-80 average. Peaks hit 100-105 from time to time. My family room is my listening room and its open to dinning, living, kitchen, foyer and hallway... so it's a lot of volume to average 75-80.

Very wide variety, but sometimes it just needs to be loud ;)

35822308342_57dea03fbf_z.jpg

If the cinder block basement walls start to crack. I might turn it down a bit.

Same as many here, in the low to mid 70's. But some music just needs to be played louder.

But I was listening much louder when I had the Kappa 9's in the system.

50-65 on my Klipsch Bell's sitting on the couch 8' away. No need to crank them. Now when I work out as I did this morning they might be 75-85ish song dependent.

When listening to classical music, most peaks are arond 75-85 dbA/fast. The average is of course much lower. Some peaks may reach the low 90s. I might go louder if we didn´t live in an apartment.

When I listen to rock and metal it has to be at a minimum of 75-80 to begin to be enjoyable. I like to listen to rock and metal at peaks of 95-97, or MUCH more on occasion.
But that´s not possible very often, due to neighbors.

Having recently broken down and gotten a smartphone, I got an app to answer this question (SPLnFFT). An early morning listening test playing M. Ward's A Wasteland Companion yielded (dbA):

Min: 28.6 Leq 57.2 Max 67.3
These really are typical listening volumes for me, at midnight or later, when everything's quiet. Sometimes during the day I listen a fair amount louder. I'll tell y'all how much louder next time that happens.

:)

This evening I was playing Raising Sand about as loud as I usually go, and got (dBA):

Min: 30.2 Leq 69.2 Max 81.5

Since using the new EAT tt w Quintet black...when I want to go loud I have been dialing up the Luxman 50% or high noon. This gives 89dB on my admittedly inaccurate phone app.
This must be about max for my amp/speakers/room combo. I can turn the vol to 1 PM or a bit past and still wont hit 90.

65 to 70 most of the time

70 to 80 when Il want it loud enough to ear music everywhere in the house.

Like most, it depends on what I'm listening to. From the quite passages of Chopin to the heart pounding of Days of the New. IMHO it takes power and performance to reproduce both. My nearest neighbors are a solid quarter mile away across open fields. They have never complained about volume or type of music, but they have asked about what they thought was a party a couple of times. To stay in their good graces I've told them I do take requests.

Last edited:
I'd estimate around 60-70dB, if it's a real kicking jam and nobody is home I'll crank it up a fair bit. Sometimes I'll keep the music low just to train my ears to pick up lower volume sounds.

Not sure about the db thing but I'm mostly about 10 11 o'clock on the volume nob and that's getting up there on my Yamaha a s 2100 9 o'clock for lower listing, with albums there not as loud as CD,s , cassette recording are about the same as albums depending on my output recording but there's just some song's that just says turn it up and some say not. I think room size means a lot with your system, I have a really nice system maybe 8 to 9000.00 invested now so sometime lower volume seems work better. Enjoy your music everyone.

I have VU meters but I'm not sure what there telling me so 9 o'clock is low, 10 is moderate, and 11 o'clock is getting up there. I'm 59 and I have high end equipment that will kick out the music but I think I'm enjoying the 10 o'clock volume the most.

Those who've used meters, are you using the C weighting, which includes the bass Hz? Although friends and family who have listened to my system thought it was well balanced with most recordings, however a few LP's & CD's were, both, bright & thin. Those few recordings must have been mixed that way and the meter showed it -- with the A & C scales reading about the same. In my listening room better sounding source material tends to be 6 - 10dB higher on the C scale, but it doesn't sound boomy or bloated.

I wonder if a general preference for a stronger bass balance exists or might many recordings be too hot, thus sounding better with more low end? My wife knows that average conversation is in the 70dB range and that 80dB isn't all that loud. When she complains about the volume, I'll sometimes show her the spl meter to "proove" it's all in her head and show her the meter readout. (set to the A scale) Our city drafted its noise ordinance using the A scale. Yeah! A lot of bass frequencies can be present at the property line while their sound meter indicates far less audio power and legal limits using the A weighted measurements. Hey, they received expert advice from an attorney when choosing the ordinance parameters.

Back
Top Bottom