Raspberry Advice Please

My PI 3 is on his way. I planned to plug my usb HD and use runeaudio.

If its a usb powered hard drive you might run into trouble. Sometimes the pi won't boot at all and sometimes it won't see a usb powered drive plugged directly to it. The pi 3 usb ports by default output 400mA each or 1.2mA total. ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs ) A regular desktop usb port is usually 500+mA output. If you don't have a good (3amp) power supply for the pi it won't always work. Easiest way around is to use a powered usb hub for the drive with a seperate power supply for the pi. I have a 1TB western digital that will boot about 50% of the time without the hub. Most of the USB powered hard drives require over the 500ma that the pi can do per port, many needing 750ma or even a full amp of power. You could also get a USB female to dual male cable which will give you two 400mA to one female for your hard drive. ( http://a.co/ctKYUaR ) Works for me most of the time. The powered usb hub always works. Just something to consider when planning your system. Hope that wasn't confusing,

Marc

I also ordered a power usb hub to make sure I don't run into trouble. Thanks toi for confirming it was a good buy.

Still waiting for stuff to arrive

I got a generic pifi dac+ on the bay for less than $20 and use volumio. I control it from my phone and its the easiest setup there is. I don't use squeezbox so I can't comment on that. If I want to use streaming not on volumio I boot to raspbian os on a different sd card and use the tv as a monitor. With the pifi dac+ hat It sounds much better than any of my other sources (no TT..), and it uses rca cables so works with vintage well. I play mostly FLAC on the pi, but even with good mp3's it sounds better than my ipods or iphone, and tons better than my android tablet. Sounds just as good as my Sony C79ES cd player, although to really be sure I'd need better speakers....

Sorry for thread jacking but OP never responded back.

I just received my Raspberry pi 3 today.

I decided to try Runeaudio.

Quick and easy installation, worked right away no issues.

I'll definatly need a powered hub (still waiting for it to arrive). I'm sharing my hard drive with the computer for now.

The app is easy to understand and quick, I'm really excited and I like the results.

Next step : get one or two micro SD cardiaque to get a retro consol and a movie player/internet browser.

I've got one Pi running Runeaudio and one running Volumio. Both are sourcing from a NAS server running on another Pi. I find Runeaudio easier to use, but Volumio was easier to connect to the NAS drive.

Now if I could just get my Windows 10 machine to play nice with the NAS drive so I could put the kids iTunes library on it...

Back
Top Bottom