"SORRY! SPEAKER IS SOLD"

lattiboy

I almost started crying when he told me they were already gone....

hfIwGzkl.png

The seller did a typo and most likely sold them for a $1000 bucks of more.

So would you still have been a buyer?

The seller did a typo and most likely sold them for a $1000 bucks of more.

So would you still have been a buyer?

No, I offered him 250 and he said that they had already been picked up but he would've held them for me at that price.

Surprised they weren't bid up - Then again, I've been the recipient of such deals in the past, all about timing

Yeah, I was mad I missed out, but I've gotten extremely lucky in the past. Still, this might be the best score anybody gets this year in the whole state

Note, location.

There is some stupid rich population here that can literally burn money.
To them, even bothering to try and sell something is a "hassle".

I have hauled away free things you would not believe.

My town has these overtones. Many here cannot be bothered to figure out the problem before they haul gear to the transfer station, AKA dump. Several years ago I picked up a Troy-Bilt self-propelled mower, a model discontinued the prior year. It was covered in silty dust and did not run but good spark. Air filter clogged and fuel bowl full of mud. Replaced filter, cleaned bowl & jet, and mower ran great. Used it until last summer when a nicer Toro self-propelled showed up, again covered in silty dust! Same exact issues and it is the mower I am using now. I really think it came from the same person and they buy ~$400+ mowers, use them until they quit, then take them to the dump. The list of gear I've put back into service includes a Honda generator (clogged vent in gas cap) and Toro 2-stage snowblower (slipped drive belt). Not complaining but is really is something how basic diagnostic & repair skill has just fallen off within the last 10-15 years.

My town has these overtones. Many here cannot be bothered to figure out the problem before they haul gear to the transfer station, AKA dump. Several years ago I picked up a Troy-Bilt self-propelled mower, a model discontinued the prior year. It was covered in silty dust and did not run but good spark. Air filter clogged and fuel bowl full of mud. Replaced filter, cleaned bowl & jet, and mower ran great. Used it until last summer when a nicer Toro self-propelled showed up, again covered in silty dust! Same exact issues and it is the mower I am using now. I really think it came from the same person and they buy ~$400+ mowers, use them until they quit, then take them to the dump. The list of gear I've put back into service includes a Honda generator (clogged vent in gas cap) and Toro 2-stage snowblower (slipped drive belt). Not complaining but is really is something how basic diagnostic & repair skill has just fallen off within the last 10-15 years.

I would agree. I live in an area full of blue collar workers and farmers. Here, most guys can fix just about ANYTHING. Unfortunately I did not inherit that gene...I can do basic repairs but I usually don't tackle anything MAJOR. Wish I were a little bit handier but compared to many guys these days I'm actually doing all right!

I think part of the problem these days is there is just SO MUCH STUFF out there...it's often not worth the time to repair things. Just look for another new or used such and such at a reasonable price and move on.

My riding mower (early 1990s Cub Cadet) just had an issue and Dad and I (mostly Dad) found a bent push-rod. We took it to a local mower repair guy and told him to let us know if the repair would exceed $200. 6-8 weeks later he calls and says to pick it up, the bill is nearly $600. I could have bought a pretty decent used mower for that price or a little more (for example my uncle bought a used John Deere (not sure of model) for $700). Not sure what we would have said had we known the bill would be so high, but what's done is done now. He did offer to find us a hood (my mower's hood has been long broken) and cut us a deal on the next repair. Just an example of repair vs. "replace" (whether new or used).

Last edited:
I would think the type of person that Blaine describes would have at least produced a better ad with punctuation and not written with all caps. The drive and sophistication of scammers looking for emails and phone numbers is increasing (though they don't usually respond as in this case...who knows).

Last edited:
My grandfather sold his classic Mercedes thus: ad in newspaper, first caller early the next morning says "is that price a misprint?" Grandfather says no; they come over with cash and snap it right up. He didn't tell me it was for sale, even. It was all I could do not to scream. Grandmother said they had to take the phone off the hook later that morning.

PS: God, those Focals are beautiful.

I would think the type of person that Blaine describes would have at least produced a better ad with punctuation and not written with all caps. The drive and sophistication of scammers looking for emails and phone numbers is increasing (though they don't usually respond as in this case...who knows).

I did say "stupid".

Back
Top Bottom