Wiring

intoaudio

Changing out caps and transitors, resisters, etc is always suggested and discussed. Has anyone ever changed out the old hard wires inside their equipment. Would there be any actual benefit to this. Just asking the question is all. I would like to see what everyone's opinion is on this.

What would you change them to? The stuff McIntosh used was high quality and up to the task. Tinned also if memory serves.

Many have fretted over and replaced C32 ribbon cables because they do not like the look of them delaminated.

I have replaced the filter connection cabling with improved S/N as a benefit in a C28 restoration.

Have considered replacing the front to back input selection cabling for improved source isolation and better crosstalk specs in my test case C26 but time has not allowed.

What is your goal? What improvement are you expecting in what unit?

When c_dk asks that - it usually means the proposed idea is a waste of time...usually. ;)

I am not looking to change any of the wiring in any of my Mc gear. C26,Mc2505. I was just wondering is all because I always see cap threads and what not. All the wiring in my gear looks up to snuff and in good shape. Besides I wouldn't want to mess up a good thing.

Not nessesarily, some of the early preamps had some longish runs that in today's design concepts would be shielded better. Most of the switching now is done almost right at the inputs except for the "influence" boards for lack of a better term.

Tuners and now CD players left running and then bleeding into the phono stage of a C26 was a common complaint back then and a typical restoration will not address this.

I have never found any bleeding of sources, but then again I usually only have one source powered on at a time.

Speaking about the older tube equipment, the actual wiring was sourced from Western Electric if memory serves and is essentially higher quality than anything you'd likely be able to replace it with. However, as Teflon was yet to be invented, the insulation is plastic and rather foul-smelling while desoldering. This is the only real drawback.

Back
Top Bottom