Nad 1600 Hum

spdracer

Just received this preamp and there is a very noticeable hum at low volume in all modes. If I turn it up loud enough to drown out the hum it sounds great hooked to a nad 2100 amp. Had a Kenwood C-2 preamp prior to this without issue. Any ideas? I tried different connections, cables, settings without positive results.

I'd be looking at some ground loop basics for this. There are stickies and posts on this site that may assist.

Does the preamp have a 2 or 3 pin plug. Does your other equipment (connected to the same outlets) have 2 or 3 pin plugs? Sometimes where there are a lot of one type, and only one of the other type, you can get ground loop problems.

I'd be looking at some ground loop basics for this. There are stickies and posts on this site that may assist.

Does the preamp have a 2 or 3 pin plug. Does your other equipment (connected to the same outlets) have 2 or 3 pin plugs? Sometimes where there are a lot of one type, and only one of the other type, you can get ground loop problems.

That was my first thought when I heard the hum, until I realised that it's just humming on the right side. Also, the hum just about disappears after an hour of listening. Everything is 2 plug (old)

I have a 3140 integrated amp. Needs recapped. Sometimes just flipping the AC plug around helps on the hum issue. Also check to see if there are any loose ground points (chassis screws) to the case. Check all the caps to see if they look good. NAD cut costs on the quality of the caps on some models.

I have a 3140 integrated amp. Needs recapped. Sometimes just flipping the AC plug around helps on the hum issue. Also check to see if there are any loose ground points (chassis screws) to the case. Check all the caps to see if they look good. NAD cut costs on the quality of the caps on some models.

Never thought of the ground screws, will check them in the morning. All the caps look good to my eyes, but I'm no expert. One prong is bigger than the other on the plug so won't be able to flip it around.

Yea second the capacitor views on this. Old caps dry out - you wont see this. As they do this they lose their ability to filter undesirable voltages which can get thru and affect the sound.

The fact that you only have it in one channel seems to rule out powersupply issues (as the problem would then be common to both sides). Looks like you may have a full recap on your hands - which probably should be done anyway to maintain the unit.

I'm curious if this can do any damage to the amp in it's current state? Don't want to cause anymore damage running faulty equipment.

Could be a few things but a dry cap could actually be part of the problem in this case.

Only other thing I can think of is a grounding issue on one channel. Did you check all your screws? Check that all screws are tight and any ground connections are good and clean.

Cold joint, defective/cracked trace, other bad connection - circuit or ground.
Sounds like the problem is associated with a defect in the failing signal path. Transistor?

I've checked everything I can check. At least it's listenable, it does become almost totally silent after some listening, but knowing it's there drives me nuts. It's in my garage, if it was my main system it would never do.

IMO reading thousands of post of which if you gloogle nad audiokarma will give you enough reading material for a year.

Caps are notoriously bad... Also "today" somebody posted on finding a Proton P-1100 sm and Nad came up, too. go figure.. leesonic and other builders get a decent return for fully checked out and stable units. if diy? don't chase rabbits and check any nad unit out at the board level.
bink :D

Back
Top Bottom