I Joined the ADS 910 Club!!

Yeah, decoupage, and put the papers to a proper use, first, then consider repair options again. They also make some really large papers these days too.

I had a couple of days to listen to these beautiful speakers with some volume (wife has been out of town), they are truly impressive, even with the ZigZag modified cones. I have a few songs I like to test speakers with, one of them is Joss Stone 'Snakes and Ladders', it has some seriously low bass on it and these 910's play those notes with authority. When I play this on most speakers, you just can't hear those notes, they are just not able to play them. I will admit that the low notes are more pronounced when played on the home theater with a subwoofer, but these are the first speakers that reproduce them nicely. Even the AR9's have trouble with that song, and that's saying something. Some of the other discs I like to play are, 'Thump! A Collection Of Australian Percussion Groups', Donald Fagen 'Morph The Cat', The John Scofield Band 'Uberjam', among others. Bass is one thing, but these have that ADS fantastic, creamy midrange that I just love, just an all around incredible speaker, no regrets on this purchase!! I can't really do a fair comparison with the 9's, I unhooked them to listen to the 910's, however going from aural memory, the AR9's seem to have a certain thunderous quality to the bass response, weather that's good or not I don't know...it sounds good. One this the AR's can't do is reproduce the mids and highs with the finesse of the 910's, IMHO.
Now, I know that I need to have these woofers redone and I have contacted Richard So. He suggested having all 4 woofers re-coned, rather than just doing 3 of the 4 (I kind of figured). I guess that makes the deal of $150 for these a little less impressive as the re-cone will be a few bills, but I don't think you could buy a set of speakers comparable for $500.
Did I mention that I love these speakers?
Paul

I had a couple of days to listen to these beautiful speakers with some volume (wife has been out of town), they are truly impressive, even with the ZigZag modified cones. I have a few songs I like to test speakers with, one of them is Joss Stone 'Snakes and Ladders', it has some seriously low bass on it and these 910's play those notes with authority. When I play this on most speakers, you just can't hear those notes, they are just not able to play them. I will admit that the low notes are more pronounced when played on the home theater with a subwoofer, but these are the first speakers that reproduce them nicely. Even the AR9's have trouble with that song, and that's saying something. Some of the other discs I like to play are, 'Thump! A Collection Of Australian Percussion Groups', Donald Fagen 'Morph The Cat', The John Scofield Band 'Uberjam', among others. Bass is one thing, but these have that ADS fantastic, creamy midrange that I just love, just an all around incredible speaker, no regrets on this purchase!! I can't really do a fair comparison with the 9's, I unhooked them to listen to the 910's, however going from aural memory, the AR9's seem to have a certain thunderous quality to the bass response, weather that's good or not I don't know...it sounds good. One this the AR's can't do is reproduce the mids and highs with the finesse of the 910's, IMHO.
Now, I know that I need to have these woofers redone and I have contacted Richard So. He suggested having all 4 woofers re-coned, rather than just doing 3 of the 4 (I kind of figured). I guess that makes the deal of $150 for these a little less impressive as the re-cone will be a few bills, but I don't think you could buy a set of speakers comparable for $500.
Did I mention that I love these speakers?
Paul
Your observations are the same as mine have been for almost two years now since I got mine. No matter the material, the 910's deliver. The more power and volume you feed them, they just gobble it up with ease!

Those ADS 910's look like great speakers... would love to hear a pair someday. I'm a big fan of soft domes...

Those ADS 910's look like great speakers... would love to hear a pair someday. I'm a big fan of soft domes...
Go to the Video thread. I posted 3 videos of the 910's in action. It will give you an idea of their sound!

Sweet! The 910's look to be in excellent condition! Where did you find them?

Cheers, Glenn
I got them off Ebay Im from the Grand Rapids area in Michigan and had to travel to Milwaukee for them.
They are in beautiful shape except upon getting them home i realized that one of them has the wrong tweet and mid. can hardly tell
but at some point ill send out to Rchard So for the correct ones.

Check out the video thread. My first few posts are the 910's. It will give you an idea of how they sound.
The video threat is a lot of fun to go through, lots of terrific systems!

I got them off Ebay Im from the Grand Rapids area in Michigan and had to travel to Milwaukee for them.
They are in beautiful shape except upon getting them home i realized that one of them has the wrong tweet and mid. can hardly tell
but at some point ill send out to Rchard So for the correct ones.
Richard will give you the correct advice.

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 7 months, but I finally got around to sending in my woofers to Mr. So for a re-cone. I sent them in today, and I already can't wait to get them back. I prepared myself for this by taking them out of rotation and replacing them with my ESS AMT 1c's. As soon as I get the chance (once all the snow melts) I'll move the cabinets to the garage and work on them. They have a couple of pretty deep dents in them, not sure what I'll do there, other than that they look like they should come out nice.
Anyway, just thought I'd give a quick update on these. I also should mention that I'm heading back to Allhartfidelity's place this weekend to pick up a rare set of Ohm Walsh Model G's, those should be quite the challenge to fix up.
PK

Back
Top Bottom