Your Favourite MM carts/styli

While I tried a large number of cartridges over the years, one I was always happy to come back to was the Stanton 681. For most of those years, I used an LP12 with Ittok arm and the phono stage built into my Linn LK1 preamp, but it also sounded good on turntables from BIC, Garrard, and Thorens using a cheap Pioneer integrated amp. At one point I had upgraded to Stanton's low output 981LZ, but when that stylus was discontinued, I mounted a new 681EEE Mk III with no subjective loss of listening satisfaction. Even my Linn dealer was impressed, though he made some good-natured jokes about it prior to hearing it for himself.

With a Well Tempered Record Player I bought about nine years ago, the Grado Statement Platinum1 proved to be my favorite, using Grado's own phono stage (and used with Audio by Van Alstine amplification and Vandersteen speakers to take advantage of the Grado's strengths in stereo effects). For some reason never discovered, the WTRP hummed using the Audio by Van Alstine phono stage; Grado's own phono stage solved the hum issue and allowed the use of their lower output cartridge line.

At present, I'm using a Rega RP3 and the phono stage in the Audio by Van Alstine preamp, and the cartridge that seems to mesh perfectly for me is the Shure M97xE with stock stylus. The sound is natural, dynamic, and engaging, with flawless tracking and an absence of anything I find annoying or irritating. The equipment doesn't call attention to itself, making the music all that more absorbing. At this point, and having auditioned half a dozen cartridges in this setup, I can't imagine better sound than what I'm getting from the M97xE.

Right now, a Shure V15 II on a JVC JL-A20 that's mostly used for ripping and checking out used vinyl, an Empire 3000 MEX on a Technics SL-23 that's my main table and an AT12Sa on a Project One... just because.

Here are a couple off-the-radar ones that I've found that sound great:

AKG P8E with an X8S stylus. Beautiful airy, open 3D sound. The achilles heel on these is the "balloon" suspension assembly which doesn't hold up well over time. I rebuilt mine and the signal (not the cantilever) skews a bit to one side so I have to adjust with the balance knob. But it still sounds fantastic. It does not sound at all like an MM cart.

Acutex LPM 310. Doesn't have the "wow" factor of the AKG, but is a very smooth, balanced and solid performer. Reminds me of the AT140LC, my favorite AT MM cart/stylus.

I have Grace F9 with a busted cantilever and at some point I'm going to have it rebuilt. I've heard one on my system, and they are indeed the shizzle.

I also agree with @jrtrent about the Stanton 681. A fabulous cart with an OEM stylus (my go to is the Pickering 750). With the D6827, it's the best 78 cartridge I've ever heard.

I used a Lyra helicon for many years but last year decided to downgrade to my old shure V15 IV. I put it away after my kids broke the stylus. I put a jico sas on it . The Lyra is superior but for the money the shure is hard to beat. I don't feel I am missing much either.
It's mounted to a jelco 750d on a custom lenco l75.

Best sounding in an audiophile way: Pickering XLZ-7500S with self-made SAS stylus. Of course, I could be biased by pride of craftsmanship. To my ears it handily bests my Ortofon Quintet Black.

Favorite: Pickering V15. It's just all around awesome.

I just got my Grace F9E in today's mail. I'd run home and set it up so I can finally listen to it and find out why it's the shizzle, but I have a wedding to go to tonight. Damn!!!!!
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the Grace F9. I think it beats the pants off my Shure V15 III SAS, which is still fantastic.

ca
Best sounding in an audiophile way: Pickering XLZ-7500S with self-made SAS stylus. Of course, I could be biased by pride of craftsmanship. To my ears it handily bests my Ortofon Quintet Black.

Favorite: Pickering V15. It's just all around awesome.

I just got my Grace F9E in today's mail. I'd run home and set it up so I can finally listen to it and find out why it's the shizzle, but I have a wedding to go to tonight. Damn!!!!!
cant wait for the grace review!

This is great folks! Thanks so much for all the contributions. I was hoping for a good list of cartridge/stylus combinations that have proven themselves to others, that I could use as a resource for future explorations and sort of as a guide for things to look out for when checking out vintage sales. This is awesome.

My Favorite is the stanton 500, and pickering v15. I use a Nagaoka mp110 also, and it is great, but it is too refined sometimes, I have a LP gear carbon A/T 3600 that has a nice lively solid sound , the stanton 500al has the speed and nice flat mids i really enjoy sometimes, it is really hard to find a cart and stylus without a reduced midrange thats too relaxed , With a quick change to the pickering de hifi stylus, i can get the nagaoka sound on the stanton also. Its hard to believe that this cart can be purchased used for $15, and they really dont wear out, a new stylus for it is $12, I am so happy to have discovered this inexpensive great combo !

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (88).jpg
    FullSizeRender (88).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170511_153218.jpg
    20170511_153218.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170715_193429.jpg
    20170715_193429.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 26
  • FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
At one point I had upgraded to Stanton's low output 981LZ, but when that stylus was discontinued, I mounted a new 681EEE Mk III with no subjective loss of listening satisfaction. Even my Linn dealer was impressed, though he made some good-natured jokes about it prior to hearing it for himself..
The 951LZ is as far as I know, a moving magnet design. The 681 is a moving iron one . . . if the stylus from the 681 works well in the 951LZ, the back of the cantilever in the 681 have to be made off a magnet, instead off the normaly iron one. Is the 681EEE Mk III an original Stanton stylus ?

There are many that I greatly appreciate but my tops would have to be:

Grace F8 or F9 with Soundsmith stylus
Shure V15III with JICO HE

I've got a Grace F9l on the way to me. Anyone with experience with both the L and the E able to speak to the differences?
Also what about the VN-35E on the ShureV15III?

Last edited:
I've got a Grace F9l on the way to me. Anyone with experience with both the L and the E able to speak to the differences?
I have the f9l cartridge with an f9e stylus and from what I've gathered the f9l has a bit higher output and the stylus on the L is a luminous vs the E an elliptical. I could be wrong here so if I am someone please correct me, but that's what I have gathered so far. I will be getting the Soundsmith stylus next week so I'll report back on that.

Audiofreak71

Ortofon 2M Blue on a stock SL-1200 MkII
Grado Reference Platinum on an SL-1200 MkII with fluid damping

The VIVIDLINE on the V15lll will surprise you! Anyone else have this combo? I believe the Jico HE is about the same thing.

I have 3:

Shure M35x (I use both the conical as well as a M97xE VL stylus)
Pickering XV15/1200E (use stock as well as VL stylus)
Audio Technica AT7V

For now all 3 are used on a rewired and damped Technics SL-1200 arm, that's all changing next week when my new (to me) SOTA is delivered.

I've always been an Audio Technica fan; even more so this year. I have a wide variety of pre-1990 AT carts/stylii, but one that keeps making its way back onto my #1 TT
is an AT7v cart with an AT140lc stylus. My AT155lc and AT15ss have a bit more detail and depth-of-sound staging, but the AT7/140lc is just so 'listenable', for lack of
better words. No particular emphasis on one part of the audio spectrum over another. Extended listening sessions are not fatiguing, rather consistently pleasant. :rolleyes:

I've been curious about this cartridge for a while, might pick it up as an alternative to my at440mlb. It's too bright on some stuff, but it seems this should cool it down.

The 951LZ is as far as I know, a moving magnet design. The 681 is a moving iron one . . . if the stylus from the 681 works well in the 951LZ, the back of the cantilever in the 681 have to be made off a magnet, instead off the normaly iron one. Is the 681EEE Mk III an original Stanton stylus ?
Sorry if that was unclear, but Needlestein was right--when Stanton discontinued the stylus for my 981 LZ, I tossed that cartridge. I bought a new 681 EEE Mk III cartridge and had that mounted on my then-new Cirkus LP12 with Ittok LVIII/2 arm. The 681 EEE Mk III sometimes gets a negative reaction from folks because they see it as a downgrade from the earlier 681 EEE Mk IIs, but the Mk III sure sounded good in that 'table, and the Stereohedron stylus for the Mk IIs had also been discontinued. I no longer have any Stanton bodies because I choose not to keep any cartridge once the original manufacturer ceases to produce replacement styli for them.

Back
Top Bottom