What do you consider your primary headphones?

beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm. I can wear them for hours on end and hardly notice. I work in a noisy office environment that would otherwise be distracting. Paired with a JDS Labs C5D, i have no complaints.

Is there a difference between the AKG 240 "Made in Austria" and made in "China" headphones?
Negligible. The big differences are between the 600 ohm K240 Monitor and the 55ohm K240 Studio/MK II. Many prefer the older models to the newer models. Even Head-Fi ten years ago never cared for the K240 Studio preferring instead the closed back 55ohm K271.

Negligible. The big differences are between the 600 ohm K240 Monitor and the 55ohm K240 Studio/MK II. Many prefer the older models to the newer models. Even Head-Fi ten years ago never cared for the K240 Studio preferring instead the closed back 55ohm K271.

I'm only just becoming aware of the differences in headphones- open back, closed, semi-open, ohms, headphone amps,etc. I'm now in a situation where I cannot really crank it up as I would like, and am using headphones at home, really , for the first time since the early 1970s, in the army. Had been thinking of the Sony MDR-7506 phones for awhile and finally pulled the trigger. I like them well enough, being aware that there are better sounding headphones available for more money, I think. I also just purchased a pair of the AKG K240 headphones made in China. I really like the sound. Noticeably different than the Sonys. So now, I am really impressed with the semi open sound and am looking at getting a better , to me , pair of open back headphones. Research, learn, look, buy.

Hey Great thread...
And I have a question.
I have enjoyed Grado 80, 325 and RS-1 cans in the past, broke one, sold the others..
And currently really like simple Sennheiser HD-600, Fostex RP-50's (Van Halens studio cans) which are fun to mod
...... and a lowly pr of Realistic (Koss) sealed cups from the early 80's
But I ask anyone in the know what a basic, good sounding set of AKG cans would be to hear for <2 bills?
I had the luxury of watching "Rockstar" on a premium systen at my brothers last week and instantly figured whatever AKG model Marly Mark was wearing in the studio scenes is probably something I need to hear for myself...
Any suggestions what to dive in to?

I can recommend the AKG K240 Mk ll's, but you may want to hurry or wait a a few weeks. Most of the AKG pro headphones are on back order now. Can't say why for sure. A hiccup in the supply change or a make-over?

Two bills would get a K7XX from Massdrop. However what you’re usually seeing used in studio scenes are the newer K240 Studio or the older, 600 ohm K240 Monitor. The latter is out of production but can be easily found on EBay.

If going vintage AKG there are 3 pairs of K240 Sextets on the 'bay presently. Many feel these were the best sounding version of the K240's. They were expensive to produce and much of the following improvements were about getting back to this sound. I haven't heard them and there may be caveats so do your homework first.

Not as simple question to answer as one might think.

My main pair is some old Sennheiser 580's. Sometimes I switch out to a pair of grado 80's, which seem better suited to rock.

For the gym and walking in the park, a pair of cheap Koss Pro 1's and for travelling, the trusty old Koss Porta Pros, simply because they can be folded.

MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 are my favorites. Great for the money.

View attachment 919842

As I type this, I'm listening to some streaming lounge with the Concept CE-H headphones I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I absolutely agree, I got a pair of the Sony V6 earlier this spring, and I love them. Such a great sounding headphone for not a lot of money. They're my 'doing homework at school' headphones, which double-duty as my computer gaming headphones. Really way nicer than I was expecting.

AB7346DB-BC57-44DA-A640-EB058BB297F8_zpsghx16scj.jpg

Two bills would get a K7XX from Massdrop. However what you’re usually seeing used in studio scenes are the newer K240 Studio or the older, 600 ohm K240 Monitor. The latter is out of production but can be easily found on EBay.

Those K7XXs from Massdrop will be pretty hard to beat for that type of AKG sound... Big soundstage, very open sound, a bit bright in the upper half of the range, not a huge amount of low end.

That sound doesn't work for everyone and isn't my first choice for stuff with a prominent bottom end, but man I find it pretty amazing for classical, acoustic jazz, female vocals and still very good for many other genres.

Definitely works better with an amp in my experience.

Been using a set of Sony mdr7506 since the late 90's. Replaced the ear pads several times. Recently used the beyerdynamic 250 ear pads and it is an improvement. Also recently put some felt padding in the cups and I think everything is improved. The low end really thumps and the mids and highs are sweeter , very balanced.

I did just get a set of beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm. Not sure about these. The mids are recessed . They are pleasant . Did some mods like added dynamat and heavy felt to the cup. I added too much felt and it kind of killed the low end , removed a bit and it is better but the sonys are way better.

Last edited:
I still use my Sennheiser HD600s predominantly at home, but for work I just picked up a pair of Etymotic Research HF5s that work well in my noisier desk location.

I Sennheiser HD600s balanced cabled driven off 8 ohm tap of McIntosh MC2205
II (close second) Sennheiser HD580s balanced cabled driven by same McIntosh

Back
Top Bottom