Hi Fi Hearing Aids

DustyOldPile

Vinyl Goddess
Well boys, I need to consider getting hearing aids. I have hearing loss in both ears.

I've resisted doing this for a while because to me it would seem that putting a tiny amplifier in your ear isn't going to help your hearing loss much. But...I can't take phone calls or understand virtually anyone unless we're alone in a quiet room.

Is there such a thing as a hearing aid for someone who loves music and quality audio gear?

Not sure, but my audiologist told me that there are aids that use DSP modeling based on a thorough analysis of what you ARE able to hear.

My wonder is how accurate the transducer is. If it sounds like a set of high-end IEMs, they might be pretty damn good.

The cost of entry is pretty high though...

I'm using a pair of ReSound Alera 9-61. Somewhat dated now and supplanted, while not faultless they work well enuff for music. Shortcomings with aids can include entrainment (occasional resonant enhancement of certain freqs) and other lesser artifacts. They beat the alternative.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had hearing aids for about 3 years now named Oticon Acto. I realize it will never be the same as normal hearing, but the aids sure make my listening experience more enjoyable. Sound is much clearer and open with the aids. My last test was in December, 2014.

I'm okay from 250 to 1,000 hz., but 1,500 to 8,000 hz. it goes from mild loss to severe. My right ear is much worse than the left. I'm at 80% hearing in the left from 55 to 65 db and 92% at 75 db.

The hearing aids I have are pretty sophisticated. They communicate with each other and can adjust anything coming in and balance out the sound. They eat batteries. Mine only last 5 to 6 days if I wear them all day. On a good note (pun intended), my insurance will now pay enough so I can replace a hearing aid every 3 years for up to $2,500. My audiologist told me to replace one in December and the other in January of the new year and they will both be paid for.

Last edited:
Nice! Very encouraging info!

My hearing loss is kind of weird. One ear picks up the very lows and the highs with no midrange. The other one is all midrange, but no lows and highs. Both ring like crazy.

Some consider the later analogue aids as preferably "hi-fi", but the modern digital aids are much easier to live with and can do an adequate job once one becomes accustomed to them.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just attended an audiology conference in Bend, OR. The newer upscale Phonak hearing aids have modes specifically for music and will actually auto-adjust based on noise/background spectral information. Also, the lyric invisible hearing aid is especially suited to retaining the pinna-related depth/sound localization cues, avoids the need for corrective DSP and (from what I've heard) is easy to forget it's in once it is placed.

There is no such thing as an audiophile hearing aid. There is quality$$$ and there is cheap. Nothing goes above about 10khz.

Wow, this is absolute nonsense. Phonak's Audeo line covers just as wide a spectrum as any high-end ear-phone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...fit-earphone-and-perfect-bass-earphone-page-2

The biggest thing to remember is that if you suspect you have hearing loss of any kind, talk to an audiologist. The less stimulation the choclear nerve receives over time the quicker you get progressive deterioration.

I've resisted doing this for a while because to me it would seem that putting a tiny amplifier in your ear isn't going to help your hearing loss much. But...I can't take phone calls or understand virtually anyone unless we're alone in a quiet room.

See above. By resisting using some kind of corrective aid you are actually facilitating additional hearing deterioration. Honestly, a lot of people do not realize this.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as an audiophile hearing aid. There is quality$$$ and there is cheap. Nothing goes above about 10khz.

I am going down this path right now, and it is pretty interesting.
There are several things one needs to be aware of.
A hearing aid can enhance and improve what you can hear now.
It can't restore what is lost. Forget about 20K; it ain't happening; getting past 8K is probably the best to hope for.
If you have tinnitis, it may be mitigated by the enhancement of sounds in it's frequency range as the aid does not enhance the tinnitus. Your tinnitis is champion since your hearing loss at that frequency allows it to stand proud. Restore that sound and it gets lost in the crowd or pushed down beneath the restored level.
EQ's are outclassed by hearing aids in the highs. Most are +12 dB, but your loss may be -40 to -50 dB and the boist the sid gives is much closer to the magnitude of the loss than the EQ could ever hope for.

I wore a set at work for about 45 minutes and was amazed at the content added. Today I got Kirkland Signature 7.0s and will have them installed as soon as Lee can work me in; I am a Costco employee and they are fully covered with a 180 day trial period. I opted for the KS ocer the Cala8's I trialed as they are well regarded aurally and only lack some Bluetooth bells and whistles the Cala8's have.
They are made by Siemens and should be quite interesting auditioning my speakers and comping LPs and CDs.

The bottom line; I WILL hear more. And I WON'T have full hearing of an 18 year old. But better is better and conversations will be easier, and that's what really matters.

If you have a loss, check them out and give them a chance; you'll probably be glad you did.

Andy, just remember, once you get in a crowd, they help you hear one or two people, but the crowd noise becomes unbearable.

making me wonder about something here .. i have a friend that needs to wear them but doesn't like them .shame really as shouting to communicate is never a good thing .
i was thinking something like a decent portable recorder .nice headphones too .set to record and monitor it . could even have music playback at the same time .

I just attended an audiology conference in Bend, OR. The newer upscale Phonak hearing aids have modes specifically for music and will actually auto-adjust based on noise/background spectral information. Also, the lyric invisible hearing aid is especially suited to retaining the pinna-related depth/sound localization cues, avoids the need for corrective DSP and (from what I've heard) is easy to forget it's in once it is placed.

Wow, this is absolute nonsense. Phonak's Audeo line covers just as wide a spectrum as any high-end ear-phone:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/phonak-audéo-perfect-fit-earphone-and-perfect-bass-earphone-page-2

The biggest thing to remember is that if you suspect you have hearing loss of any kind, talk to an audiologist. The less stimulation the choclear nerve receives over time the quicker you get progressive deterioration.

Sorry, Rifftrax, I have the Phonaks and they do not sail out to 20K. They hit the wall, as do their earphones, at 10K, and have a 35 dB falloff thereafter. They drop faster than my hearing. There also are very, very, very few insurance plans that will fully cover a $5 to $6K pair of hearing aids. Since I have Phonaks, and went to three different audiologists and PhD ENTs to get what I needed and could afford with our insurance, I'm not misspeaking.

Andy, just remember, once you get in a crowd, they help you hear one or two people, but the crowd noise becomes unbearable.

I don't do crowds, bars, or busy restaurants or noisy parties much anymore, and these should be abke to be volume adjusted via smartphone app.

I'm REALLY interested in how music will sound now as a lot of HF content will be restored. Time will tell, but I'm hoping for improvement in one on one quiet conversations.

My insurance covers them 100%, so it's silly not to give them a whirl. I'd be stunned if the benefits didn't far outweigh the negative.

I'll keep you all posted.

I had a pair of ReSound Alera 9-61 that were good for walking around regular service but not great with a 'music programming' due to entrainment problems and overload blasting on some tones and sounds. Later replaced by VA with newer ReSound Lynx 2 due to a dog related indecent. These are much better on the music programming and allow me to enjoy coversation, TV, and movies without losing words or annoying others. I can play music at lower levels with than without, and hear so much more. Different manufacturers have proprietary algorithms and programming that may suit an individual better than others. This is where a competent provider familiar with a range of products can be beneficial.

Yea, Pio, the DSP and eq algorythms really help with listening at lower levels. The interesting thing is, other than the limits you can't hear at all, the brain has pretty much been able to backfill the gradual loss of information, and tonal cues and vestigial instrument hearing can almost backfill much of the needed information.

When you start hearing closer to baseline again with hearing aids, everything totally sucks for the first couple weeks, and then your brain kicks into the new "normal," and you are back on your feet again. My ENT gave me a good tip by pointing out that you should start use of the hearing aid(s) at the lowest possible boost, and adjust them on a weekly basis until you get the level of improvement you want, or to the limit of their performance, usually a 6 dB boost.
Andy, the best improvement BY FAR is one on one hearing with your wife. These aids are aces in that situation.

Not sure, but my audiologist told me that there are aids that use DSP modeling based on a thorough analysis of what you ARE able to hear.

My wonder is how accurate the transducer is. If it sounds like a set of high-end IEMs, they might be pretty damn good.

The cost of entry is pretty high though...
i've had amazing results with the service and produce at costco.

My only casualty to Harvey was my left ReSound Lynx, the second one I've lost to moisture intrusion in spite of weatherproof nanocoated innards. I very much missed it until its replacement arrived yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom