Marantz 150 Coming Home to Roost After 38 Years - What to Do???

toddalin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a friend that I've known since the 60's.

In the '70's, he became a Marantz fan and had one of their integrateds and turntable. I don't remember the models.

Anyway..., at one point, in 1979, a Marantz tuner with the scope (Model 150 IIRC) came up in the Recycler (printed C/L of the day) and I purchased it with him in mind. Of course he wanted it and gave me what I paid (who remembers???) I also convinced him to buy a pair of JBL L100s.

I got a call today that he still has the tuner and wants to send it back to me, no charge. I said sure and I'd pay for the cost of shipping (NY to LA). He said maybe it has a couple scratches.

I also asked of the other equipment. The integrated lost sound in one channel..., so he put it on the curb for electronics recycling to take away :( and he gave the turntable and JBLs away.

He said that he hasn't used the tuner since ??? and asked that I fire it up and try it out.

Is there anything that I should do before plugging it in and turning it on??? Unfortunately, I can't even get FM reception where I am in the hills.

Thanks

Last edited:
OK, so I was wrong..., 38 years is a long time.

Actually, it turns out that it is a 2130. The unit is in good condition, a bit dirty, with a couple scratches. It powers up and the scope appears to work, though I've not put an antenna or amp on it yet.

DSC_00561.JPG

DSC_00571.JPG

Todd, the 2130 was the top of the line Marantz tuner in 1978-79 and essentially was their best solid state tuner with Quartz lock tuning, same as the 2600. The 2110 was the tuner conceptually used in the 2500, IMO. You might be able to rig up an easy T-shaped FM antenna, should be available still from a local electronics firm (pretty sure Orvac Electronics in Fullerton, or another larger electronics supply house in Westminster should have it, otherwise, order from Best Buy or Amazon?). There's also good DIY indoor FM antenna plans on the web.

I suspect if you can take off the faceplate for cleaning, it will shine up really well, just be careful with the lettering as usual. I have 2 2110's and they work quite well. The problem for you as you mentioned is difficult reception in the area physically, and whether there really is anything worth listening to on FM in the LA/OC area nowadays? You should check with your local cable or TV provider to see if there are ways to get any FM signal off of their signals, used to be when cable was more analogish, but with digital cable now, all bets are off.

Still, this is a really nice tuner, and still sought after by FM fans who love the oscilloscope. Very very regretful about the loss of the amp (integrated or basic), if bought around that time period, was probably a very nice unit, and as you know, eminently fixable.

If you've already fired it up, there's not much risk in leaving it plugged in and warmed up so the caps can reform and you can see how its working. If it plays, its likely ok, and for the nth degree, probably could use a good tuner alignment, plus checking on all the tuner display bulbs and indicator lights. With even a rudimentary antenna, you might be surprised at how good it will pull in signal and sound. With a proper antenna, it can be very very good.

Of course, if you're really going to use it long term, a good recap / rebuild of the power supply and the usual suspects in the audio chain should be done, but the tuner should not be touched unless alignment or tuning issues are noted or can be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Actually, someone has the matching 1152 DC amp (75Wpc) in South County for a bit over three bills. This would be the same vintage..., mid-level. And of course there are plenty of 1060s and 1090s available locally for a couple/three hundred.

00A0A_dvuPRL1RoH9_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Cool story. I'm glad the 2130 found its way back to you. If you like the idea of listening to FM at home in the least, I would get this baby back into top shape and figure out the antenna situation.

Back
Top Bottom