Pioneer SA-8100 integrated amp channel problem....

kwkshift

Hello all,

I have a really clean SA-8100 thats all original. It was working well until recently when the left channel gets very quiet all the sudden. If I power-cycle the unit, the audio comes back for a minute or two, then fades back out.

What should I look at to diagnose what is wrong? I have a multi meter but no oscope.

Thanks.

Hi, they are a nice amp, l used to have one also. You won't need a scope so don't worry about that. First thing l would do is clean ALL of the switches and pots including the pre-out main-in switch on the back.

If it still does it after this take the cover off and let it run until it does it again and tap on the speaker protection relay and see if this has any influence (it may have pitted contacts for the LH channel), be VERY careful poking around in there with it powered up, and even with it powered off the large caps will hold charge for an extended period.

If the above has no affect then the next step would be to separate the pre-in main-out switch on the rear and use the Pioneer with another pre amp or another power amp if you have either to narrow the problem down to a certain section in the SA-8100.

Let us know how you get on :).

Reactions: mbz
I had cleaned it once when I got it but I imagine that it could use a bit more help since it was never opened its entire life.

Back
Top Bottom