• Genre

• Genre & Alphabetical

• Alphabetical by Artist

• Alphabetical by Artist & Album Title

• Grouped by Value

• Grouped by Condition

• Other (Please comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Just bear in mind that in Japan, when written, a person's name is surname first, then given name. While I don't like to alphabetize by first name either, it makes sense that Japanese stores would do it that way.

That is correct, and foreigners' names are not typically arranged that way, even when written in kana, so it makes sense that they would be organized in a screwy way.

Example: George's name is written ジョージ ハリスン ("jyo-ji harisun")...

GEORGE_HARRISON_ALL%2BTHINGS%2BMUST%2BPASS-309397.jpg

Last edited:
Organize my albums? Hahahahahahaha! That will be the day.

I organize my albums just like everything else in my life: "I know it's here somewhere."

Alphabetical by artist, then chronologically for each artist.
I used to do it that way but finally gave up due to spousal interference. She is not one to return anything, preferring to put them in any available spot. Arrrgggghhhhhh!

I have 4 (soon to be 5) of the homemade bins that someone here at AK designed quite a few years ago. They're designed to be made from a single piece of plywood, and hold about 500 records each, give or take, 'record store' style. I have them arranged alphabetically by artist, but not within the artist. For instance, all the Allman Brothers records will come after Aerosmith and before America. But the individual Allman Brothers albums can be in any order. Solo artists go under the last name, example, Alice Cooper is in the C's. (although technically, his early albums could be under A, but they're not because I want them all together). Bands that have a name in them will be under the first letter if it's a nickname, example Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes will be under "S", or under the bandleader's surname, example The J.Geils Band will be under "G". Artists with one name will be under that name. "Cher" under C, not under "B" for Bono or "A" for Allman or...so on.

Classical, country, holiday records get separated out and stored elsewhere, in milk crates. Jazz and pop are all together. Records are separated with dividers with the letter on them.

Am I the only one that stores records from right to left? You know, so when you're flipping them on a shelf, alphabetically, you see the covers 1st. Just makes sense to me, but my other buddies go left to right.

1. Genre
- Classical
- Solo Cello has its own place
- Rock
- Jazz
- Blues
- Punk
- Country
- Bluegrass
- Hip-Hop
- Spoken Word
- Soundtrack
- Funk & Soul

2. Alphabetical by:
- Artist last name
- Band first letter
- Artist first name if group name (Huey Lewis & The News under H, rather than L)

3. Chronological by album release date

4. Live albums & greatest hits go at the end despite chronology

5. I put solo albums and departure albums after the band
- Roger waters after Floyd
- Dave Mason after Yes
- Phil Collins & Peter Gabriel after Genesis
- George Harrison after Beatles
- Etc.

I'm going to sub-divide my Rock category; I'd like to get a little more granular. It's also disjointed having Def Leppard next to the Doors. My thinking is I'll go:
- Classic Rock
- Progressive
- Hair Metal
- Heavy Metal
- Psych
- Pop
- Post-Punk

That should cover it. Just need a nice rainy day and a six pack.
Not sure how I forgot folk. I have about 100 folk albums in their own section. Nick drake, Paul Simon, etc.

Also reggae. Maybe 20 albums there.

image.jpeg

I love the fact that you have sections dedicated to such diverse genres as "Solo Cello," "Bluegrass" and "Hip Hop." Congratulations for being open-minded and exploratory.

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind." ~ Duke Ellington
I hadn't looked at it as particularly open minded, but I'm happy to accept the compliment. Just makes life easier, and I enjoy the ability to match my mood / desire with an appropriate album. Also, solo cello pieces are my favorite type of music, both for listening enjoyment and system fidelity.

I have multiple sections.
I have a group of my original LP's from my pre 2009 collection (approx 300 LPs), which has a bunch of 80's 12" singles, bootlegs, punk, and rock - basically valuables to me.

Then in 2009 I started to concentrate my music collection in purchasing vinyl again. I was given a few collections from different people and bought a ton from estate sales and thrift stores. That was up until about 2014-2015 when the vinyl craze became known to the general public- well most of them. I have also purchased new releases as well.

I keep the personal collections that were given to me together. I tried to alphabetize the rest.

I do have a large selection of "To be given away" that is not sorted.

So, it's all over the place.

Hmmm...since my collection is always growing, it is organized by genre. Within the genre set, it is alphabetical by artist/band where the albums are then ordered by their release date (as identified on the LP or jacket). Just keeping simple....

Am I the only one that stores records from right to left? You know, so when you're flipping them on a shelf, alphabetically, you see the covers 1st. Just makes sense to me, but my other buddies go left to right.
No, you are not....for me that's the natural order. Left-to-right is doable...just not my preference.

Firstly, alphabetically by artist name and secondarily by each artist's album titles.

All my new vinyl is upstaire with the livingroom system but the LP's are not in any order. The basement/vintage vinyl is a bigger collection with no order. I just dig around until something catches my eye. While I'm digging through them if I see one I haven't played in a while I might set it out front so I'll remember it

My albums are in the order that they are listed on the Discogs app...except soundtracks, comedy albums, and Christmas music. Those go in a separate section.

I guess I could do something differently, but I'm lazy and this seemed to be the simplest way.

While I'm digging through them if I see one I haven't played in a while I might set it out front so I'll remember it

Like minds, different approaches. I've taken to setting the HTPC to sort by random titles and then click thru to the album if something catches my attention.

Even been known to dig out the vinyl and give it a spin if I'm feeling enthusiastic - and can find it. <G>

PS - sorting by genre can be problematic, especially with a digital collection. There must be literally hundreds of sub genres that are assigned to albums when the files are cut. I've taken to going pretty much vanilla on those, using the old stand by's like Classical, Rock, Jazz, and the like. With digital, I also have the option of picking from various play lists that can narrow down the selection process, and big bonus, if I don't like the way that's working, it's easy enough to change.

Last edited:
Alphabetically by first name* then chronologically.

If it is a soundtrack or compilation, it goes by album name.

*Exception is for classical music where I go by last name because I can always remember Tchaikovsky but sometimes forget Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Though I admit if I sorted it by Pyotr, I probably would remember better).

*Exception is for classical music where I go by last name because I can always remember Tchaikovsky but sometimes forget Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Though I admit if I sorted it by Pyotr, I probably would remember better).

I'm sure there's some who sort it by "Pjotr Il’ič Čajkovskij" ... :D

Back
Top Bottom