Upgrade From Separates To Integrated Amp... Long Post

musichal

poet emeritus
I put a certain amount of money each month into my audio kitty. Pretty much my last remaining hobby, other than writing, being mostly housebound. My system sounds great to me, and I do enjoy it, but I know it could be better because I had many opportunities, years ago, to hear a variety of electronics with Klipschorns. The best sound I ever heard from them was connected to a 110lb-each pair of Audio Research M300 tube mono-block amps and an SP-10 two-chassis preamp. I listened to that set-up five days a week, hours per day, for more than a year. TOTL components in their day, and kind of good.

Right now I'm using a latest-generation Emotiva XSP-1 preamp - their TOTL stereo pre - with a bottom of the line Emotiva BasX A-100 amplifier, aka the Flex-Amp. I own two of those little amps, and probably have more respect for them - at their ridiculously low price - than most of you. I think the pre-amp, also, is damn good for its price. But it ain't ARC. My Emotiva components are competent, very competitive at the prices I paid, but certainly not extraordinary. And my cabinet won't accommodate a full-width amp and preamp (the little BasX amp is half-width).

While it is true that the super-efficient Khorn doesn't demand high power, I know a bit more would only benefit. I have 50wpc, and a bit more headroom can't hurt. An integrated amp will fit my cabinet, and the models I am considering offer more, and better.

I require at least five unbalanced inputs, and greatly prefer at least six, making the search a bit tougher. A tape loop would be nice. Don't care whether it has HT bypass. Pre-out, or sub-out preferable. Remote control absolutely required, including source selection as well as volume and power - the more the merrier.

I'd prefer to spend twenty bucks. However, that don't buy what I want. I'd really like to keep it at three grand or less, but would go to four (maybe even five) for the right component, which is hard to find. Analog inputs in my price range tend to number one, two or three quite often. Another problem is I can't get out to visit a dealer - my shopping is online.

Last night I found an integrated that had plenty ins and outs for my purposes, and gets good reviews - the Rega Elicit-R. I've never heard one, nor any Rega gear actually - there were no dealers in my home state. The one I found last night was for sale at Audiogon, 6 months used and like-new condition. Guy's ask was $1800; a new one from AA is $3k. I read and read everything I could find and decided to buy this one, but couldn't recall my password from when I registered on Audiogon years ago. So I decided to go to bed and order it when I woke up this morning.

And it was gone, of course. I plan to keep watch for another used one, but would also appreciate suggestions for others I should consider. I'm at a loss when I search and find strange, unfamiliar brand names and models.

Since my Emotiva XSP-1 is pretty new also, this seems wasteful. But I have three systems that all improve in ripple effects when I replace something in the main rig. I may end up with a pretty new BasX PT-100 for sale or storage in the closet or even gifting when/if I make this move.

I will not consider tubes. My systems run too many hours per day for that.

You may want to look into a small input selector. That way you can add several components to one input on the integrated. This may give you some more choices of amps. There is always at leased one source that isn't used as much as others and wouldn't be as big a deal when switching without a remote. I haven't looked for remote controlled selectors myself, but they have to be out there I would think. I built my preamp with five inputs and two pre-outs and still needed one more. Once I get moved in the next week and setup ill be looking for a small selector myself.

Can't help you at all in your search for TOTL gear, as I am more of a modest gear enthusiast.

Anyhow, while you await for your new gear, have you tried bi-amping your Khorns? You appear to have sufficient amps and your Khorns come bi-amp ready.

Just something to try, while you continue your search.

Regards,
Jerry

You may want to look into a small input selector. That way you can add several components to one input on the integrated. This may give you some more choices of amps. There is always at leased one source that isn't used as much as others and wouldn't be as big a deal when switching without a remote. I haven't looked for remote controlled selectors myself, but they have to be out there I would think. I built my preamp with five inputs and two pre-outs and still needed one more. Once I get moved in the next week and setup ill be looking for a small selector myself.

No, I have too many separate remotes already. I need a component to handle all my sources so that my lovely wife will at least have a chance to learn how to use it. I want what I want, especially when I spend the amount I'm talking about - and, yes, I do understand it isn't much in the higher-end world. Hopefully someone who has an Elicit, or who has some experience with one, will chime in with their observations.

Can't help you at all in your search for TOTL gear, as I am more of a modest gear enthusiast.

Anyhow, while you await for your new gear, have you tried bi-amping your Khorns? You appear to have sufficient amps and your Khorns come bi-amp ready.

Just something to try, while you continue your search.

Regards,
Jerry

I considered that, but I'd then have to stack the little amps and not enough ventilation for that, and they would still remain BOTL amplifiers. The components I'm looking at aren't TOTL, either, but they are pretty good, by most accounts. However, it isn't just the amp section at issue - I'm looking for a better-sounding preamp section, too.

I considered that, but I'd then have to stack the little amps and not enough ventilation for that, and they would still remain BOTL amplifiers. The components I'm looking at aren't TOTL, either, but they are pretty good, by most accounts. However, it isn't just the amp section at issue - I'm looking for a better-sounding preamp section, too.

As I recall those Base 100's have internal fans. They are designed to be stacked.

The other very interesting feature of the 100's is they come with a gain control so you can vary voice "on the fly". As you can imagine, I am NOT a purist. I further vary in moods as to what I like. Early in the day, I like that bright "in your face" sound. Towards the end if the day, I much prefer that laid back, bass heavy sound. The ability to vary voice at will is for me one of the huge advantages of bi-amping.

To vary voice all you do is vary power sent to each speaker half.

Regards,
Jerry

The Parasound Classic 2100 may be worth considering. If you think it doesn't cost enough I won't be offended.:D

I considered it and the Halo P5 when I purchased the XSP-1, and I think that either would be more of a lateral move, and I'd still need a power amp. If I replace the Emotiva pre and amp, I want it to clearly be a step up. A really good integrated would be more space efficient.

As I recall those Base 100's have internal fans. They are designed to be stacked.

The other very interesting feature of the 100's is they come with a gain control so you can vary voice "on the fly". As you can imagine, I am NOT a purist. I further vary in moods as to what I like. Early in the day, I like that bright "in your face" sound. Towards the end if the day, I much prefer that laid back, bass heavy sound. The ability to vary voice at will is for me one of the huge advantages of bi-amping.

To vary voice all you do is vary power sent to each speaker half.

Regards,
Jerry

Thanks. I did buy and do own the amps and am aware of their capabilities. Made to stack? Maybe so, but not in my cabinet - a single has plenty of vertical clearance but stacked would be too close for my comfort. I have bi-amped speakers before, but am not interested in doing so now due to cabinet space constraints and other considerations.

The remote thing negates a lot of vintage higher end gear. Personally I'm partial to ARC and Conrad Johnson.

Yeah. I want an ARC SP-8 with remote control and tube-less. Easy peasy to find.

Requiring remote complicates my choices for sure. Some otherwise great choices offer volume and mute only. But that's where I am.

Or, perhaps the Parasond Halo Integrated. 160 WPC, MM/MC phono input, plus five additional unbalanced analog inputs (and a tape out), plus built in DAC, remote control, etc.

It is also under consideration. The Elicit-R offers quite a few more analogue inputs, but no DAC. I focused more on it when I saw the good deal I subsequently missed.

Last edited:
I put a certain amount of money each month into my audio kitty. Pretty much my last remaining hobby, other than writing, being mostly housebound. My system sounds great to me, and I do enjoy it, but I know it could be better because I had many opportunities, years ago, to hear a variety of electronics with Klipschorns. The best sound I ever heard from them was connected to a 110lb-each pair of Audio Research M300 tube mono-block amps and an SP-10 two-chassis preamp. I listened to that set-up five days a week, hours per day, for more than a year. TOTL components in their day, and kind of good.

Right now I'm using a latest-generation Emotiva XSP-1 preamp - their TOTL stereo pre - with a bottom of the line Emotiva BasX A-100 amplifier, aka the Flex-Amp. I own two of those little amps, and probably have more respect for them - at their ridiculously low price - than most of you. I think the pre-amp, also, is damn good for its price. But it ain't ARC. My Emotiva components are competent, very competitive at the prices I paid, but certainly not extraordinary. And my cabinet won't accommodate a full-width amp and preamp (the little BasX amp is half-width).

While it is true that the super-efficient Khorn doesn't demand high power, I know a bit more would only benefit. I have 50wpc, and a bit more headroom can't hurt. An integrated amp will fit my cabinet, and the models I am considering offer more, and better.

I require at least five unbalanced inputs, and greatly prefer at least six, making the search a bit tougher. A tape loop would be nice. Don't care whether it has HT bypass. Pre-out, or sub-out preferable. Remote control absolutely required, including source selection as well as volume and power - the more the merrier.

I'd prefer to spend twenty bucks. However, that don't buy what I want. I'd really like to keep it at three grand or less, but would go to four (maybe even five) for the right component, which is hard to find. Analog inputs in my price range tend to number one, two or three quite often. Another problem is I can't get out to visit a dealer - my shopping is online.

Last night I found an integrated that had plenty ins and outs for my purposes, and gets good reviews - the Rega Elicit-R. I've never heard one, nor any Rega gear actually - there were no dealers in my home state. The one I found last night was for sale at Audiogon, 6 months used and like-new condition. Guy's ask was $1800; a new one from AA is $3k. I read and read everything I could find and decided to buy this one, but couldn't recall my password from when I registered on Audiogon years ago. So I decided to go to bed and order it when I woke up this morning.

And it was gone, of course. I plan to keep watch for another used one, but would also appreciate suggestions for others I should consider. I'm at a loss when I search and find strange, unfamiliar brand names and models.

Since my Emotiva XSP-1 is pretty new also, this seems wasteful. But I have three systems that all improve in ripple effects when I replace something in the main rig. I may end up with a pretty new BasX PT-100 for sale or storage in the closet or even gifting when/if I make this move.

I will not consider tubes. My systems run too many hours per day for that.
Regas are no joke. The last time a friend of mine from out of state visited, we auditioned Eclipse 508s driven by a Rega Elex-R. He bought the whole setup for his second system.

I've also been extremely impressed with the Primare I32 integrated. It's a class D that I heard driving my Thiel CS1.7s. The build quality is excellent and it has power to drive just about anything. The comparatively light weight and low power consumption are bonuses. At $3000 it just hits the top of your budget unless you want the optional streaming module for another $1500.
As for your practical requirements of a remote and five inputs, it comes with a full featured one and it has 2 XLR and 3 RCAs. If you need five RCAs, you're an adapter away from that.

Last edited:
No. Line stage is fine.

I asked specifically because I recently picked up a used (the company is no longer in business) Thule Audio IA100 integrated amp (100 WPC into 8 Ohms). I have no idea how the sound quality would compare to your current Emotiva set up, but it's a very simple 2-channel integrated amp that has five unbalanced analog inputs and one tape out (as well as the flexibility of pre put and main in).

You seem to want to simplify things and the Thule is pretty compact and has a very simple, uncluttered user interface (one knob, one button and a small display):

Thule_IA100_2.jpg

Unfortunately, mine did not come with the factory remote (I'm using a Logitech Harmony universal remote with it currently). It shares a remote with their CD player, but all of the amp functions are grouped together in a separate section at the top of the remote. The remote interface pretty much mimics the simplicity of the front panel controls. Only it uses a pair of buttons to adjust the volume up and down and a pair of buttons to cycle through the inputs. I think your wife would appreciate the simplicity.

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps it will inspire you to look for other "simple" options that give you the basics and nothing else you don't really need. Since you already have a good DAC (I use a Modi 2 Uber with my Thule), perhaps you don't really need to get something with a built-in DAC and all the other bells and whistles many newer integrated amps seem to include.

Love to hear the Rega Elicit. I've been very impressed with a few integrateds over the years. Years back, a Musical Fidelity integrated proved that separates aren't better in all instances. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom