Upgrade From Separates To Integrated Amp... Long Post

Exposure 2010S2 (used) or 2010S2D (new); 75 watts; 6 inputs; tape loop; remote; preout; made in UK.
http://www.exposurehifi.com/products/item/2010s2d-integrated-amplifier.html

Very clean design with a simple, uncluttered front panel/user interface. That's what I was envisioning when I posted my comments about my Thule Audio IA100. Thule is out of business, and while there is still a company that stocks some spare parts, I know many wouldn't feel comfortable buying a 10 - 15 year old integrated amp made by a company that is no longer around to support their products.

Love to hear the Rega Elicit. I've been very impressed with a few integrateds over the years. Years back, a Musical Fidelity integrated proved that separates aren't better in all instances. Please let us know what you end up doing.

As would I. I can see why the OP was intrigued by this model. It's another uncluttered amp that has everything the OP desires, but nothing more. Plus, it has a very good reputation for sound quality. Too bad the one on Audiogon was snapped up before the OP could pull the trigger. Perhaps there is still one in his future. It certainly seem like a good match for his needs.

I put a certain amount of money each month into my audio kitty. Pretty much my last remaining hobby, other than writing, being mostly housebound. My system sounds great to me, and I do enjoy it, but I know it could be better because I had many opportunities, years ago, to hear a variety of electronics with Klipschorns. The best sound I ever heard from them was connected to a 110lb-each pair of Audio Research M300 tube mono-block amps and an SP-10 two-chassis preamp. I listened to that set-up five days a week, hours per day, for more than a year. TOTL components in their day, and kind of good.

Right now I'm using a latest-generation Emotiva XSP-1 preamp - their TOTL stereo pre - with a bottom of the line Emotiva BasX A-100 amplifier, aka the Flex-Amp. I own two of those little amps, and probably have more respect for them - at their ridiculously low price - than most of you. I think the pre-amp, also, is damn good for its price. But it ain't ARC. My Emotiva components are competent, very competitive at the prices I paid, but certainly not extraordinary. And my cabinet won't accommodate a full-width amp and preamp (the little BasX amp is half-width).

While it is true that the super-efficient Khorn doesn't demand high power, I know a bit more would only benefit. I have 50wpc, and a bit more headroom can't hurt. An integrated amp will fit my cabinet, and the models I am considering offer more, and better.

I require at least five unbalanced inputs, and greatly prefer at least six, making the search a bit tougher. A tape loop would be nice. Don't care whether it has HT bypass. Pre-out, or sub-out preferable. Remote control absolutely required, including source selection as well as volume and power - the more the merrier.

I'd prefer to spend twenty bucks. However, that don't buy what I want. I'd really like to keep it at three grand or less, but would go to four (maybe even five) for the right component, which is hard to find. Analog inputs in my price range tend to number one, two or three quite often. Another problem is I can't get out to visit a dealer - my shopping is online.

Last night I found an integrated that had plenty ins and outs for my purposes, and gets good reviews - the Rega Elicit-R. I've never heard one, nor any Rega gear actually - there were no dealers in my home state. The one I found last night was for sale at Audiogon, 6 months used and like-new condition. Guy's ask was $1800; a new one from AA is $3k. I read and read everything I could find and decided to buy this one, but couldn't recall my password from when I registered on Audiogon years ago. So I decided to go to bed and order it when I woke up this morning.

And it was gone, of course. I plan to keep watch for another used one, but would also appreciate suggestions for others I should consider. I'm at a loss when I search and find strange, unfamiliar brand names and models.

Since my Emotiva XSP-1 is pretty new also, this seems wasteful. But I have three systems that all improve in ripple effects when I replace something in the main rig. I may end up with a pretty new BasX PT-100 for sale or storage in the closet or even gifting when/if I make this move.

I will not consider tubes. My systems run too many hours per day for that.

Hey musichal,

Im pressed for time right now, but wanted to respond.

have you looked into ONIX?
http://www.onix-hifi.com/

I just let go of my A-60 Dual Mono. fantastic sound stage, if you have not given one a listen its well worth the time.

Also look into "audio analog"

I collect integrated amps, have for a while.

If you can track one down the Pioneer A-71 and D-92 are some of my favorite alos the A-858 (same as the A-71 with no urifinish) Note the 717 is not the same amp at all... if you find one, its probably nice, but if you want good clean power you need to track down the 71 and the 91. fantastic Phono stage, have the ability to run DSD, and i run SACD so for me its a match made in heaven.

There are a lot of good vintage amps, but really your better off staying with someone under 30years old. The Mac MA 6100 is a classic. for tubes... Jolida..

Any way, good luck with it.

Kind Regards,
John

I designed my cabinet, had it built in high-grade walnut veneer plywood with solid walnut stiles and rails, then sanded and finished it myself (when younger, I'd have built it myself). Four feet wide, two feet deep and about 30" high. It is a very nice piece. Cost a pretty penny. It stays, period. Stereo has to adapt.
Musical, I can certainly understand and respect your reasoning, it definitely stays! :thumbsup:

I designed my cabinet, had it built in high-grade walnut veneer plywood with solid walnut stiles and rails, then sanded and finished it myself (when younger, I'd have built it myself). Four feet wide, two feet deep and about 30" high. It is a very nice piece. Cost a pretty penny. It stays, period. Stereo has to adapt.

Can you please post a link to some photos of the cabinet? It sounds beautiful and I'd like to see it.

Can you please post a link to some photos of the cabinet? It sounds beautiful and I'd like to see it.

Thought I had a couple pics on my PC, but can't find them. I've been saying for years now that I will take pictures of my stuff and post them, but can't get a round tuit. So, I'll rectify all that right now by saying that I will take pictures of my stuff and post them.

No love for Yamaha A-S801? Remote, on-board DAC, three RCA line ins plus coaxial, optical and USB inputs. 100wpc. Has a "loudness" control and a tone-kill button. Two speaker outputs. I really liked mine.

As an integrated amplifier owning pig, I would say the big Musical Fidelity are nice pieces to own. And they stand hoof to hoof with amp/pre combos in its price range. The NuVista 3M I own have plenty of power, lots of inputs, and remote control. The downside is its a chunky monkey. They can be had in the $2-3K range on the used maket, but they retailed for $5K ish and only 500 were made.

Now if you can pony up the benji's this one is the cats meow. Even better than the one I have. But not cheap.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649378472-musical-fidelity-nuvista-800-integrated-amplifier/

NuVista 800.

Blog-post-image.jpg

1187603-musical-fidelity-nuvista-800.jpg

5.jpg

NuVista-Demo-e1413815075943.jpg

Last edited:
Musical, I don't really have any understanding of your health concerns but I have to ask one question. Can your ol' ticker handle you staying with someone under 30 years old? I know mine couldn't and I'm 53. :D

Good catch, usually using my iPhone in AK.

Something*

Tho the later is quite funny!

:)

Kind Regards,
John

I probably should have left it alone, sure didn't mean to get personal. I was just poking fun at John's typo. No offense intended. :oops:

None taken, I was trying to be humorous, also.

No love for Yamaha A-S801? Remote, on-board DAC, three RCA line ins plus coaxial, optical and USB inputs. 100wpc. Has a "loudness" control and a tone-kill button. Two speaker outputs. I really liked mine.

Not a lot, I admit. Seems more a lateral move.

How about the Mac MA5200?

Won't fit my cabinet.

As a integrated amplifier owning pig, I would say the big Musical Fidelity are nice pieces to own. And they stand hoof to hoof with amp/pre combos in its price range. The NuVista 3M I own have plenty of power, lots of inputs, and remote control. The downside is its a chunky monkey. They can be had in the $2-3K range on the used maket, but they retailed for $5K ish and only 500 were made.

Now if you can pony up the benji's this one is the cats meow. Even better than the one I have. But not cheap.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649378472-musical-fidelity-nuvista-800-integrated-amplifier/

NuVista 800.

Blog-post-image.jpg

1187603-musical-fidelity-nuvista-800.jpg

5.jpg

NuVista-Demo-e1413815075943.jpg

Too ugly. J/K. Only four analog inputs. However, the more I think about this, the more convinced I am becoming that I need to wait a few more months (maybe) and step up a little bigger, to something like this. It would certainly have to be a used one. I'll read more about the NuVista; when I saw the 800, I thought of you, and planned to ask you about it. At just over 7" high, it is too tall - but I did think of a way to rearrange my gear to accommodate an amp this size in my cabinet, which puts a McIntosh back on the table, too. I've always loved the Mc look and longevity, but their old tube gear sounds better than their SS, imo, so it isn't likely. The Moon 340i looks interesting.

Seems I need to call around the OKC area and find out if a dealer exists who has something I can hear.

A nice amp, for sure, but it does not meet the OP's requirements of at least 5 unbalanced analog inputs.

Thanks for noticing that detail, MCM_Fan. Truth is, I could make do very well with four if there is a DAC with three inputs, Toslink and/or S/PDIF.

Back
Top Bottom