Tapes Recollected

That one caught my eye as well, and might be the next one I digitize.

I did like how Sully had a lengthy back and forth with John about what she did not like about the song, and then Gordy made the critique that a song was 'over-produced' and then almost immediately backtracked as John disagreed.

I think I may make a separate thread for posting links to the digitized live content of these tapes (as I work my way through them).

This thread makes the watch list!

Update: I confimed that the capstan is spinning too fast so I need to figure out how to adjust it. Jimmy Carter sound hilariously high pitched compared to other recordings of him doing Salt Peanuts with Dizzy Gillespie and Max Roach. Once the speed issue is fixed, I will redigitize the KFAT interviews, reupload them, and make a new thread specific to the digitized uploads of these radio and tv recordings. I appreciate the interest; I want to make sure that what I am providing is the best quality I can with my equipment.

I fixed the speed issue with my reel to reel. If you want to know how bad it was, consider this: That original rip of the John Stewart interview was 25:38. The new one, which sounds a lot better, is 29:53. I have reripped the interviews and will upload them tomorrow after work. I will be making a new thread for the rips (as I have quite a few rips to do and would like to keep them organized and accessible). I will link to that thread here once it is made so you guys can find it and subscribe if you want.

Edit: For fun, I did math. That means the tape was running roughly at 1.2x speed, which is roughly the equivalent of shifting the pitch up three half steps.

Last edited:
I was going to use 30 minutes total running time as a starting point for pitch shift. The original transfer was almost in 'Mickey Mouse' territory. Correcting speed during the analog transfer is much better than the digital fix I was going to do. Can't wait to hear the final result. Thanks for taking the time to get this right.

That excellent version of Guy Clark singing 'LA Freeway' in the KFAT studio may not be available anywhere, or at least difficult to find. The quality I heard from your tape was excellent.

Last edited:
I agree it is better to fix it at the analog transfer if possible. While the speed might be a little off still (hard to tell) it is nowhere near as bad as it was. It is impressive how much more I enjoy listening to the deck now that it is playing at the proper speed., which makes this process all the easier.

Anyways, I have created a new thread which will hold links to all of the files as I create and upload them. Also, the link in this thread no longer works.

Back
Top Bottom