ADS 810

Meemsy

Hello all,

Going to have a listen to a pair of these tonight.

Don't come up too often around here.

Seller states at one point he had a mishap with a pre-amp and took out both 8" in one speaker.

At which point he had a "tech" do some work.

Now there is only one working 8" in each speaker leaving one non working as a kind of passive.

Would you pay $200 for them in this condition.

Thank you for any input!

Meemsy.

$_27.JPG

I have a pair and they are very good speakers. The woofers that are not working can be fixed, and they won't work as passives because they are in separate enclosures inside the cabinet. They look nice and the cloth grills act like a dust filter for the sticky dome mids and tweets. Are they worth it? It's really up to you, they will need the woofers repaired or replaced, figure on at least $100 for that...maybe more.

I wouldn't do it. To be able to take out those 4 woofers surely something else got damaged as well. The other drivers may have damage and the crossover more than likely has burnt components to.

Only one speaker suffered the failure.

Afterward one working woofer from the remaining good speaker was swapped out to the affected speaker.

I do expect the crossover to be in a state.

If the cabinets are in good shape I'd pay $50.

I had a pair of L810's back in the 70's and liked them very much. For these, I'd probably replace the components via mcmelectronics.com or other similar place. I've done that before with excellent results. Turned a pair of "Mini-advents" into awesome home theater speakers by grabbing a couple of woofers from them on the cheap. With a subwoofer they are killer.

Parts value:
2 woofers @39 US
1 midrange @69 US (don't know condition of the other one that was in the Blowed Up Speaker)
1 tweeter about 30, it varies there are lots of them on the bay.

Total for that is well about that 50 for cabinets in good shape mentioned above and I didn't even mention the cabinets. Crossover could be fixed if it had any problems. Easy to check the components and replace as needed.

Of course, Richard So can rebuild, replace all the parts but that gets some international shipping which is more expensive than it used to be so that part of the repair would cost more than the pricing he has on his site, about 50-70 per driver.

I would think these would be a buy at about 150-200CAD depending on the results of your evaluation. Prices for these has dropped over the last 10 years having been as high as 400-450 back then. They seem to be 300 a pair now (US prices).

I don't know how easy it is to get ads parts in Canada from the bay or shipped from the US which is pricey now.

Generally speaking most people find their ADS speakers inexpensively because they aren't on many radars (unless you are talking about the monsters). I have a pair of 710 I paid $40 for in awesome condition. Unless I was just fiending for the 810's I wouldn't pay $200 in that condition. I'm not even sure about $100 but it would depend on timing I guess.

Just as a point of reference, I bought a pair that were in essentially perfect condition (literally not a scratch on them) at an estate sale a couple of years ago for $125. No doubt they were worth more, but I doubt I could get $300 for them, and they're perfect. As has been suggested above, I think, given the condition of the ones you're looking at, $50 is about right.

If I were to buy these I would look up the price of the mid ranges and tweeters and then offer him half of that value then part them out and take the profit and apply towards a fully working pair of speakers just my humble opinion.

Regards Snow

Thanks to all for your input!

It's an hour drive and the seller has been pretty upfront with me.

I will go for a listen and report back on what occurs.

I probably would avoid because someone has already been in there.

This is where I would be too. You have no way of knowing the general competence of the tech involved.

That they connected one woofer in each indicates they trend towards the hack side of competence.

Surprised at all these answers. apparently the 810 is a common turd on the side of the road and not worth the work or worth very little because it is such an unrepairable device.

Folks here buy busted up electronics all the time for reasonable amounts of money, those larger SX Pios leading the value pack. sure one needs to leave some meat on the bone to get the unit right and the buyer needs to have interest in the unit for use instead of a flip, depending on the purchase price. Seems these are easy to find for many of the responders but the OP said they aren't that common where he is. He might need to jump if this is a speaker that interests him and he has the desire and ability to make them right. Not much in the crossover is hard to evaluate or replace.

Most of these responses seem like the comment is to maximize the value of the purchase for a flip, not purchasing something to use in the rig. We see all kinds of pricing for purchasing something to use whether someone gets a steal of a deal or pays a fair price as determined by market, prices separated by an order of magnitude or more at times.

I stated what some of the drivers were worth, limiting the 'working' ones to the speaker that wasn't damaged and that adds up. But I didn't put values for the boxes or the crossovers, leaving room for a rebuild to allow the buyer to have a nice set of speakers for what they are worth.

A pair of 810s are worth some coin when working properly and anyone can look at Richard So's site adsspeakerservice and see what it costs to make things new again, don't forget the shipping.

It is up to the buyer to determine the value of what he is going to purchase but with all the info in this thread it appears the consensus is these are trash that should be avoided. Where is the AK spirit of getting something and putting it back right, you know like Glenn, @GD70 does?

Surprised at all these answers. apparently the 810 is a common turd on the side of the road and not worth the work or worth very little because it is such an unrepairable device.

Folks here buy busted up electronics all the time for reasonable amounts of money, those larger SX Pios leading the value pack. sure one needs to leave some meat on the bone to get the unit right and the buyer needs to have interest in the unit for use instead of a flip, depending on the purchase price. Seems these are easy to find for many of the responders but the OP said they aren't that common where he is. He might need to jump if this is a speaker that interests him and he has the desire and ability to make them right. Not much in the crossover is hard to evaluate or replace.

Most of these responses seem like the comment is to maximize the value of the purchase for a flip, not purchasing something to use in the rig. We see all kinds of pricing for purchasing something to use whether someone gets a steal of a deal or pays a fair price as determined by market, prices separated by an order of magnitude or more at times.

I stated what some of the drivers were worth, limiting the 'working' ones to the speaker that wasn't damaged and that adds up. But I didn't put values for the boxes or the crossovers, leaving room for a rebuild to allow the buyer to have a nice set of speakers for what they are worth.

A pair of 810s are worth some coin when working properly and anyone can look at Richard So's site adsspeakerservice and see what it costs to make things new again, don't forget the shipping.

It is up to the buyer to determine the value of what he is going to purchase but with all the info in this thread it appears the consensus is these are trash that should be avoided. Where is the AK spirit of getting something and putting it back right, you know like Glenn, @GD70 does?

I agree. $50??? Any 810 seller would tell you to get out of their house for that kind of offer. And did I miss something cause it sounds to me like the only thing wrong is two woofers aren't working, all this guessing about what COULD be wrong sounds like excuses to lowball. Considering the work that needs to be done to bring these back up to speed, I think $200 is just a bit too much, but $150 is not unreasonable, you can always find good parts for these on ebay including a crossover if it really does need one for some reason.

I bought a pair of L810/2's for $200 and they have been my main speakers for about 2 years. I really enjoy them matched with a Yamaha Natural Sound receiver. Mine have a few dings on the cabinets but the drivers all work perfectly.

I would base whether I purchased these by the cabinet condition and condition of the sticky domes. If these parts are near mint, it might make sense to consider them. If the domes or cabs need work, I would look elsewhere for a better pair that hadn't been damaged/hacked up at all. I see them as a $300 pair of speakers with $150 worth of needed repair per your description. I would offer $150, based on my long distance info so far.

Back
Top Bottom