What was the last movie you watched?

Tried to watch La-La-Land Monday night - we did not make it 30 minutes in
...trite songs, too much Autotune, actors that really couldn't dance (flashy hands is no substitute for Dancing) ...
we opted for a soak in the hot tub instead - much more satisfying.
We were not fans of Glee, but at least the songs were well done there.
Life is too short for poor films.
Time to watch All That Jazz again ...

Could not agree more. I have no idea where all the hype came from for that one.

Another good musical that has good music and halfway decent story is Burlesque.

I could tell from the previews that I wouldn't like it. I mistakenly rented the Depp vehicle Sweeney Todd. Not realising that it was a musical. That lasted about 5 minutes.

I could tell from the previews that I wouldn't like it. I mistakenly rented the Depp vehicle Sweeney Todd. Not realising that it was a musical. That lasted about 5 minutes.

I did not care much for the Johnny Depp version. They cut out too many songs I liked from the original. There is a DVD version of the Broadway version starting Angela Lansbury that I prefer.

On "Mother" it is too difficult to explain, there are so many things wrong with it. Try going to "Rotton Tomatoes" and read the reviews of the non-professionals. Many of the professional reviewers had the " Yes, the artist painted a black 4' by 8' picture, but his choice of black was very interesting and showed a kean sense of spaceial awareness!" attitude.

The non-pros simply stated "But the emperor had no clothes!"

My wife and I hated the movie and at mid point I asked her if she wanted to leave. We decided to stick it out, we should have left!

"It follows" was like that. Critics gave it kudos for what amounted to a participation trophy, but it didn't do it for us.

Stalag 17 (1953) Directed by Billy Wilder. A Masterpiece film from one of the greatest directors ever.
The cast is absolutely perfect, particularly Otto Preminger playing Commandant Oberst von Scherbach and Robert Strauss as Animal.

Hogans Heroes was obviously inspired by (i.e. they completely ripped it off) this movie and they were sued by the authors of Stalag 17 for plagiarism.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How did you like it?
Seen it before when it was first broadcast.

I liked the overall acting of the characters, both the kids and the adults. Story stirs up emotions of purity of youth and hometown memories. Clear-eyed kid world versus cloudy adult world.

Certain aspects reminded me of Nightmare on Elm Street. The doctor's suicide seemed forced, not quite believable.

I believe this TV movie will remain the memorable standard versus the new theatrical release because the 1990 clown just seems more authentic.

P.S. - I haven't seen the new movie yet

Hidden Figures. I've never been to the South but when that woman first walked into that room and all the short-sleeved white shirts paused and looked at her I wondered if that was 1960's reality or was it dramatic effect?

I saw 'Hidden Figures' last Summer - a friend of mine works for NASA, and is a consultant on the film - saw his name in credits, twice... Having grown up in a southern family, I have little trouble doubting that those women were treated shabbily, and that the scene and general movie tone was pretty accurate...

probably ...great balls of fire,jerry lee lewis movie with dennis quaide,who really can play piano great,a good rockin cool movie,an i love the boogie piano..

Wind River.

Very good, but... I didn't really get why, all of a sudden, everybody shot everybody else. I kind of got it later in the film (I think).

I saw 'Hidden Figures' last Summer - a friend of mine works for NASA, and is a consultant on the film - saw his name in credits, twice... Having grown up in a southern family, I have little trouble doubting that those women were treated shabbily, and that the scene and general movie tone was pretty accurate...

Before it was a film, "Hidden Figures" was a best-selling book, in case you want more details on the story. I did like the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures_(book)

Back
Top Bottom