Garrard SL95B

Ryanj52

I recently picked up a Garrard SL95B in a group of components I purchased. It looks like it is in good condition, but it doesn't turn on, I bought it from an Estate Sale so I didn't get any information from the owner. I read about the grease hardening, would this cause the turntable not to turn on? The turntable spins by hand, is there something I should check? I know that is a pretty open ended question.

Thanks Ryan

If the switch mechanism is sticking from grease, then it's possible levers aren't moving far enough to engage the power switch. Could also be the motor is frozen. Would need to be taken apart, cleaned and relubricated. Best thing to do is to take it out of its base, unplugged, and examine from underneath.

That is a really nice record player. As charlesdemar stated, a good cleaning and lubrication is in order.

Thanks Guys, what should I use to clean and lubricate it? If the motor is frozen is there any way to fix it, or would it need to be replaced? I will take it off the base and take a look at it.

Thanks Guys, what should I use to clean and lubricate it? If the motor is frozen is there any way to fix it, or would it need to be replaced? I will take it off the base and take a look at it.
In most cases properly cleaning and reoiling the bearings with a light oil like sewing machine oil, then putting it back together correctly will get the motor spinning again.

Use 91% isopropyl alcohol and lots of q-tips to get the old grease off. A very light coating of white lithium grease or super lube synthetic grease is usually fine with Garrards. You just have to make sure you get all of the old grease off BEFORE you apply any new grease on it. Usually the only good way to do this is to remove the e-clips and the linkages, clean, regrease, and reassemble. Go slowly, never force anything, take lots of pictures as you go so you know how it goes back together.

Have you removed the platter?

I did tonight, I started cleaning the grease off of the parts, the grease is very sticky. I noticed some of the philips head screws have wear like someone has already worked on it before.

With the platter off, you can check to see if the motor is working by turning it on and see if the brass stepped pulley is spinning.

I usually clean the brass motor pulley with a q-tip dipped in alcohol, also the inner rim of the platter with a rag dipped in alcohol.

The rubber disk, aka idler wheel, can be revived by carefully removing it from chassis and scrubbing the circumfrence with a green scotch pad and hot water.

When removing the idler, pay attention to the c-clip and any washers (sometimes clear plastic) and their exact location. Clean them with a rag. Place a drop of oil on the shaft that the idler rides on when re-installing the idler.

I usually clean the brass motor pulley with a q-tip dipped in alcohol, also the inner rim of the platter with a rag dipped in alcohol.

The rubber disk, aka idler wheel, can be revived by carefully removing it from chassis and scrubbing the circumfrence with a green scotch pad and hot water.

When removing the idler, pay attention to the c-clip and any washers (sometimes clear plastic) and their exact location. Clean them with a rag. Place a drop of oil on the shaft that the idler rides on when re-installing the idler.

I cleaned the inside of the platter and the brass pulley and the turntable is spinning again, I still need to clean a lot of the underneath better I started but haven't finished. I am atleast happy it is spinning again, the turntable didn't come with a needle and I don't know much about needles or cartridges, would anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

I still need to clean all of the old grease off, but after I do that and buy a new cartridge, now that the platter is spinning do you think are the odds are pretty good that I will get sound out of this turntable? I understand that some of the features still may have issues, are there any other major issues I should know about, I am still learning. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom