Record Cleaning Machines-best bang for the buck!!!

Cylontymany

Looking to get my first machine! My head is spinning with all the different reviews and such... Which one should I get? Best value that does a good job.

Is it better than ultrasonic.

No. It's very good, though. A multi step cleaning process (enzyme, cleaner, rinse) will take care of most of the crud that affects used records. But I've found the Ultrasonic to be even better.

You could build a system in stages. Start with a vacuum machine like the VPI and add an ultrasonic cleaner later. These days I clean in the ultrasonic and then rinse on the VPI, and the combination is really outstanding.

Last edited:
No. It's very good, though. A multi step cleaning process (enzyme, cleaner, rinse) will take care of most of the crud that affects used records. But I've found the Ultrasonic to be even better.

You could build a system in stages. Start with a vacuum machine like the VPI and add an ultrasonic cleaner later. These days I clean in the ultrasonic and then rinse on the VPI, and the combination is really outstanding.

Good advice dcmfan. I currently only use the spinclean and shopvac which does not do as much as I want. Even though my collection is VG+ to Mint I need to find a better cleaning method.

I guess the best thing to ask is how many records do you have?
How many do you plan on having?
How many will you bring home a week?

What kind of money do you spend on your records?
Do you only shop goodwill, or do you try and get good copies at record stores.

You cleaning investment should match in some way to your collection and plans.

I would have to say that the best bang for the buck is the Record Doctor V, a Nitty Gritty clone, which comes in at $200.

I've used a VPI, they're nice but spendy. I've used a broken turntable, a vacuum cleaner and a wand that I built, then later a wand that I bought on Ebay. Worked well, but was a PITA. You had to get all the stuff out and set it up to clean records, it wasn't always "right there and handy" next to the turntable like the Record Doctor V is now. Even the VPI and similar take up a fair amount of room, whereas the Record Doctor V sits unobtrusively next to my turntable, ready to clean records before or after they're played.

I have had my Record Doctor V for about 2 years now, and can't imagine *not* having one. Very satisfied and the price was right for me.

I use a paint pad to apply fluid and lightly scrub the dirtier records.

Record Doctor V cleans every bit as well as a VPI or any other wet-vac system. I'm very, very satisfied.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDV

I personally would use a vacuum wand, and u can make one yourself, as there are many (diy) ideas online if you Google it. The only thing u need is a shopvac and some good vinyl cleaner spray. Id personally utilize ISO alcohol and distilled water solution. U can make this solution yourself and it's cheap to buy the ingredients.

The current bang for the buck RCM champ seems to be the Squeaky Clean by CanFab.

Cost is $145 for the current version. You supply your own shop vac for suction.

https://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

Regards
Mister Pig

True, it's the least expensive, but for another $55 you don't have to drag your vacuum out every time you want to use it, and instead have a compact unit that looks at home on your stereo shelf / area with the Record Doctor V.

I agree with Dusty up above with one exception. I've owned a Record Doc for many years now and it has performed flawlessly but a few years ago I added a Spin Clean and both of them combined really made a vast improvement.
Wet clean with the Spin Clean and then vac with the record Doc.

True, it's the least expensive, but for another $55 you don't have to drag your vacuum out every time you want to use it, and instead have a compact unit that looks at home on your stereo shelf / area with the Record Doctor V.

Except I never cared for not having a platter to support the record as I brush the cleaning solution in. I bought a VPI 16.5 for that reason, and the Squeaky Clean was not available then. At least the Squeaky Clean has a platter, which I would appreciate. I imagine the Vac set up might be an inconvenience, but that is for the prospective owner to say. Given the small footprint of the Squeaky Clean, it would be easy to store somewhere. Thank goodness there are a nice array of choices these days, something to fit everyone's record cleaning needs.

Regards
Mister Pig

It's really not an issue for me...if I have to scrub so hard as to need support, I do it on a folded towel on a countertop. Those times are pretty rare.

Being able to have the RD-V in my living room, next to the turntable at the ready vs. having a vacuum cleaner and a contraption sitting out on a flat surface somewhere outweighs those rare moments for me.

Another nice feature is that I'm not putting a clean side on a dirty platter after I get done cleaning the record. With a platter the size of the label and the vacuuming being done on the underside, it's also a quicker process. I wet down and spread/scrub on one side, flip the record, wet and spread on the other. Then turn the vac on, clean that side, and flip the record back, clean and done. Nothing touches the clean sides until it gets placed on the turntable.

There are a wazillion recipes for DIY record cleaner, but here's my mix.

1 gallon Distilled Water
1/4 cup Lysol surface cleaner
1 pint 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol
40 drops Kodak Photo-flow

Dump about 1/3 of the distilled water out of the gallon jug into a spotless, clean receptacle. Pour the other ingredients into the gallon jug. Top off with distilled water.

You can get about a 10 year supply of Photo-flow on Amazon.

Last edited:
I agree with Dusty up above with one exception. I've owned a Record Doc for many years now and it has performed flawlessly but a few years ago I added a Spin Clean and both of them combined really made a vast improvement.
Wet clean with the Spin Clean and then vac with the record Doc.

Back
Top Bottom