Garrard SL95B

Thanks, for your help! so you would recommend keeping this cartridge over the M44-7?

That depends on your system and how you listen to it.

If your system is in a large room and is used mostly for background music while entertaining or doing household chores, the M44-7, with its high output is the way to go.
N44-7 styli are easy to come by so if more than one or two persons will be using the turntable, the likelihood of damage is much greater.

If in a small room where you sit and listen without distractions, then the more refined, lower output and flatter frequency response of the M95 would be preferable.
N95 styli are no longer made by Shure so NOS styli, like the link I posted, are not cheap. I would only recommend using the M95 if you will be the only person using the turntable.

You could also get another sled so that you could have two cartridges ready to go. One for you and one for others. I think the sled for the SL 95B is model C2.

One more option, keep the M95 and get 2 styli. A NOS original Shure N95EJ and a after-market N95EJ which should be about 1/3 of the cost of the original

Thanks, I will keep this one and pickup the stylus you sent the linked to. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again

Thanks, I will keep this one and pickup the stylus you sent the linked to. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again

Get a after-market as well. You'll need it when setting up the turntable and testing it. Those original Shure N95's will be gone soon. The after-market styli are also good for playing older worn records.

You have a Shure M95ED cartridge which is excellent. For your particular turntable, you'll want a slightly stiffer stylus than the N95ED (yellow grip). The best stylus for that cartridge in your tone-arm is the N95EJ (light green grip). It tracks between 1.5 and 3 grams, perfect for a high quality changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...903004&hash=item33d71de659:g:w8IAAOSw-K9ZIzls

I just bought this one and will pick up an after market one as well.

Thanks

You have a Shure M95ED cartridge which is excellent. For your particular turntable, you'll want a slightly stiffer stylus than the N95ED (yellow grip). The best stylus for that cartridge in your tone-arm is the N95EJ (light green grip). It tracks between 1.5 and 3 grams, perfect for a high quality changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...903004&hash=item33d71de659:g:w8IAAOSw-K9ZIzls

I think the cartridge is very good and worth keeping, downgrading to the EJ stylus (tracked around 1.75-1.8 on a good SL 95B) will do fine. When my local once Garrard dealer sold them new, he preferred buyers use a M75EJ or similar type option in one, the N95EJ is a great choice in yours.

I think the cartridge is very good and worth keeping, downgrading to the EJ stylus (tracked around 1.75-1.8 on a good SL 95B) will do fine. When my local once Garrard dealer sold them new, he preferred buyers use a M75EJ or similar type option in one, the N95EJ is a great choice in yours.

I wouldn't consider the EJ a "downgrade", it's appropriate for the task at hand. Mismatching a stylus to a tone-arm would be a downgrade.

I'd agree, the M95EJ is just right for this Garrard. I am looking at getting another soon, it will be running a M75 EJ T2 as it's main cartridge. The previous owner bought too much stylus for his Garrard tonearm. EJ is no Downgrade, it's called the appropriate tool for the job at hand. It will perform and track well properly setup, it makes music very well. I love them on expensive, high end manual transcription arms no less. And it's got the classic Shure sound we know and love.

This is what it looks like.

You removed the platter incorrectly. There's a C-clip in the middle; it'll be a bit corroded and it looks really big but it'll pop out real easy if you work it gently w a screwdriver. You unscrewed the whole main platter from the center section, leaving you unable to get at and lubricate the bottom of the spindle. (You've also obscured the top access to the main cam, but quite frankly you're better off on that score.) Anyway, let us know how it runs. I've worked on several SL-95Bs and sad to say they all run about 1 rpm slow. I believe it's from all the pulleys out there being slightly worn down from use. (I have to get a frequency meter to check my ac, but I'm in nyc so I'm assuming it's a solid 60-Hz so that's not what's slowing it.) Like I said, i"d be really interested to hear how it works for you. You might need to replace the idler wheel too. (BTW, my experience is that SL-95Bs have to be pretty much totally disassembled to get them to work right and the tonearm can only be done by someone who really knows what they're doing.

I usually clean the brass motor pulley with a q-tip dipped in alcohol, also the inner rim of the platter with a rag dipped in alcohol.

The rubber disk, aka idler wheel, can be revived by carefully removing it from chassis and scrubbing the circumfrence with a green scotch pad and hot water.

When removing the idler, pay attention to the c-clip and any washers (sometimes clear plastic) and their exact location. Clean them with a rag. Place a drop of oil on the shaft that the idler rides on when re-installing the idler.
Great advice. :thumbsup:

It is amazing what a little rubbing alcohol can do, since I picked this up I could only turn the speed control to 33 not to 45 or 78 after a little cleaning the switch works properly now. I did notice that one of the wires to the rca outputs are cut at the plug and will need to be soldered. This will take a while but I am seeing progress, I ordered 2 stylus so we shall see.

The rubber disk, aka idler wheel, can be revived by carefully removing it from chassis and scrubbing the circumfrence with a green scotch pad and hot water.

I did a little more cleaning today and I very lightly scrubbed the idler wheel with a scotch pad and hot water. What effect should this have on the wheel? Thanks

Also I looked at the manual trying to figure out how to change the stylus does the headshell cartridge mount slide off? How do I change the stylus once it comes in? Thanks

I did a little more cleaning today and I very lightly scrubbed the idler wheel with a scotch pad and hot water. What effect should this have on the wheel? Thanks

The rubber idler will accumulate whatever the brass spindle and platter rim discards over time. Scotch pad and water will remove most if not all of the build-up. It will not restore the rubber to new condition, those idlers are now approaching 50 years old.

BTW, you don't have to go at it lightly....just scrub that sucker...:thumbsup:

P.S. I think I want one more good British changer before I die, I know where a SL 95B is hanging out for not much money, and some barter might grease things along. It has just the cartridge I want fitted. And the good plinth. It begs me to get it running like it hasn't in years, playing music again on demand. I plan mainly on using it as a single play automatic but plan to have all spindles for some 3 stacks on rare occasions. Hope sometime in the next week or two to begin phase one (with apologies to my late lamented friend, Roger Miller of England Swings) Yes, the country singer and off beat humorist. It will live in Oak Ridge, TN (in my living room) in honor of favorite people. It will live again and sing. I've owned two like it, and they began life in Oak Ridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom