Unusual Speakers on EBay George Bischoff

Google is your friend. Melos and Strathearn should certainly give you some hits. The biggest obvious risk is the surrounds; it could be hard to identify the components. It seems like a lot of money for a high-risk project IMHO.

The woofer is a Dynaudio 8" polypropolene mounted inside out(the magnet facing out. The mid range is a rebuilt Strathern planar(it's not a ribbon) and the tweeter is a modified piezo done by Mark Porzili(not a dome). By the way the woofer damping material is lint from the dryers at Mark's fathers dry cleaning shop and it turned out to be quite good. The woofer is crossed over low enough so the wave length is long enough to not see acoustically the mid range cabinet in front. the idea was to put all 3 drivers on the same axis, a sort of concentric 3 way. And the production was stopped for economic reasons. It was sold as a Melos speaker. Not long after the same men began designing the Pipedreams line source speaker.

The woofer is a Dynaudio 8" polypropolene mounted inside out(the magnet facing out. The mid range is a rebuilt Strathern planar(it's not a ribbon) and the tweeter is a modified piezo done by Mark Porzili(not a dome). By the way the woofer damping material is lint from the dryers at Mark's fathers dry cleaning shop and it turned out to be quite good. The woofer is crossed over low enough so the wave length is long enough to not see acoustically the mid range cabinet in front. the idea was to put all 3 drivers on the same axis, a sort of concentric 3 way. And the production was stopped for economic reasons. It was sold as a Melos speaker. Not long after the same men began designing the Pipedreams line source speaker.
I grew up in Bound Brook NJ and knew George Bischoff personally back when he started his high end audio salon "Personalized Audio" in the 70's and this man including Mark P. could design the most amazing and naturally sounding equipment period! I remember this very exact speaker, and if I remember George telling me correctly, he called the bass alignment 4th order quasi something or other...and with the superior sounding Dynaudio 8" woofer, the Strathern mid-ribbon and that beautifully sounding and tiny piezo tweeter. What an amazing design!! He also built another big reference speaker system with a 12" Dynaudio woofer infiring like the 8" unit above along with the ribbon and ribbon tweeters. The bass response in that system was frightening.

Dang. The eBay listing doesn’t show pics anymore. I’d love to see these after reading this.
Off to google...

Back
Top Bottom