avr vs dedicated amps

Oh, incidentally for whom it may concern I have instruction manuals for both these units and I will be running small subwoofer with this setup. Maybe at later date I will replace it also but I'm not a big basshead--hearing bass is OK, I don't need to feel it.

Amps. Always amps.

A great amplifier will stay with you forever while the AVR you got five years ago is obsolete. Even if you don't care about having the latest Dolby "whatchamacallit 11.7" you can upgrade the processor when you want or can afford to. Your amp/speaker combo will keep rocking no matter what the movie douche-bags decide the new codec is.

...Maybe at later date I will replace it also but I'm not a big basshead--hearing bass is OK, I don't need to feel it.

For HT when the alien ship come out of the ground or the dinosaurs stomp around and your place is vibrating in kind that's half the fun.

Pull the old onkyo out of stock? usually very good phono circuits. (should power up once in a while anyway) One thing I do is when listening too much? I pull out my transistor radio and listen to the crappy sound for a week or two.. then appreciate the 'sound' I have already stacked.
:D

I love the old American made Crown amps. Pro rack mount models. I'm always on the lookout for them. Crown D-75 amps are amazing. Not the D-75A because when they moved production to China these particular amps aren't as good. The D-75 is a tank and bridgeable to mono. Perfect for HT because you can stack 'em up high and they will never make a sound because they have no fans!

They are getting thin on the ground now however, and most are at least 17 years old or older (the 75 was discontinued in 2000) but they are still out there and they rock. Here's an article for more info. http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/crown/d-75.htm

The downside is a stack of 5 or 7 starts to get pretty big and they need ventilation to stay cool.

So whatdyou guys think--Emotiva or Crown?

QSC

index.php

For HT when the alien ship come out of the ground or the dinosaurs stomp around and your place is vibrating in kind that's half the fun.
Don't forget when starships crash as in Planet of The Apes but the deal is I like good drama now that decrepitude has set in and a good stereo setup will do just fine for dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom