joshvito's larger listening room - advice needed

General acoustic treatment for your home

Acoustic 1. The room should be more spacious to have a good acoustics.

Acoustic 2. Add a foam panel on the walls to absorb the reflections.

Acoustic 3. Use diffusers to scatter the reflections that have been trapped on the walls.

Last edited:
Not much has changed in the room, except the size of my record collection. I also was gifted a Record Doctor cleaning machine.

Currently, I'm shopping for a wide audio rack. Id like to use both my turntables on the top shelf. There doesn't seem to be a vast amount of choice. The only one I seem to be able to find is the SolidSteel S4-3. And at $900, I feel this shouldn't be my only option.

I would say $900 is at the top of my budget. Specifically, I don't want any glass and I want something sturdy, as my TT weights 65lbs, so a cheap $100 rack with a weight limit of 50# won't cut it. I'd even consider two single racks if it was cost effective. I have a Salamander Archetype in another room, and was not impressed with the assembly process, so a couple of those are out of contention.

Anyone have any brands or online shops they suggest?

I would look resale for a MCM credenza. They are typically pretty wide and would easily accommodate 2 TT's. I could find them all day long within your budget.

Also, I am going to throw this out there. Bigger speakers. I know, I know, what you have are nice, but you have a nice size room that would take something bigger so why not.

I would look resale for a MCM credenza. They are typically pretty wide and would easily accommodate 2 TT's. I could find them all day long within your budget.

Also, I am going to throw this out there. Bigger speakers. I know, I know, what you have are nice, but you have a nice size room that would take something bigger so why not.

I have my eye on the newly released B&W 700 series.

Decided to go with some cost effective audio racks to free up some surface area for another TT and my record doctor. Savings will hopefully be spent on speakers and/or more comfortable seating.

xQmbmWb.jpg

Some advice - 1. Racks moved from between speaker (sometimes this is not possible) . This helps with imaging. 2. Cover the window behind with a thick rug. Helps with ringing issues.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the gear as far behind the speakers as possible. I do close the curtains from time to time, and notice a difference in the sound. Sometimes I just like to watch the outdoors while listening tho.

Added an upgrade to the listening room this week. New speakers. Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. I have only spun 1/2 a record so far, but these are definitely a bit different than the B&W's they are replacing.

I auditioned the Sonus Fabers along with Monitor Audio Silver 500's. The SF's imaged a lot better and sounded a lot more detailed when playing my test tracks.

Some unboxing/progress photos, if you're into that. https://imgur.com/gallery/FUzy7

hXYdf2W.jpg

Eventually I think I want to move the stereo to the left of listening position. I just need to pry myself away from listening in order to run another dedicated outlet. Ugh, crawling around attic is never fun.

Happy listening.

Back
Top Bottom