Where to plug a preamp into this?

432HzBob

Lunatic Member
Hi I want to use a Yamaha C-50 preamp with 2 TT inputs as a phono pre to a Luxman R-115 receiver.
The Luxman has the utility of 2 tape loops, a separate processor loop, 3 cd and aux inputs, 2 pre-outs (0-4 volt), and remote control which is important in my listening area and to feed a seperate amp.
Am I safe to use the Yamaha pre-out (3-4 volt) into an Aux input on my receiver?
Will it toast anything or give cruddy sound?
Am I stuck using tape outputs on the C-50 to Aux input on the Luxman?
Will this bypass all the Yamaha tone controls that I would like to use?
I run many sources into the R-115 (computers, bedroom system, tv, dvd, tape, walkman) so it needs to remain as the everyday driver and distrubutor of signal.
Whats the best way to plug this Yamaha into a receiver for use as the phono preamp?
rack1.jpg

lux back.jpg

Take the Yamaha output from a pair of Tape Out jacks, into Aux or other line-level input on the Luxman. This skips the Yamaha line stage, and its tone controls, volume knob, etc., which is a good thing. Use the controls on the Luxman instead.

The pre out voltage is controlled by the volume knob, from 0 up to several volts depending on input signal strength and position of the knob.

If you are insistent to use pre out instead of tape/rec out, as suggested by sql, there is nothing forcing you to set the volume knob so high as to output 3-4V into the Luxman.

Ditto SQL's solution. No need for two line stages in the gain block.

You're simply tapping the C-50's phono stage output from the tape out jacks.

Why do you need two sets of tone controls? Is there something wrong with them on the Luxman
Thanks everyone for the advice.
The C-50 has a more adjustable bass and treble controls crossover setup.
I bypass the tone controls on the Luxman, and frankly, its phono stage is not that good.
Any tone adjustments I need to make are done on a Yamaha EQ-50 but most of the time that is off as well.
Mostly flat settings are what I usually run unless an album has a bad mix and needs help.
The C-50 preamp is for the dual TT inputs and adjustable cartridge load feature as I frequently rotate carts.

Well, you could use the Luxman as an input switcher, taking its Tape Out into the Yamaha. It looks like the Luxman doesn't have a Main In, but you could replace that power-amp functionality with a chip amp, for $20 or a little more. It sounds like you're not too keen on the Luxman's sound quality anyway...

The R-115 has been the daily driver Chevy 350 of reliability for several years for me but I recognize its strengths and limitations.
It has good SQ, a decent tuner (I still listen to FM), if not the usual "somewhat laid back and darker" Luxman tone and a boatload of inputs and outputs for sending and receiving signal. This also dovetails into a bedroom unit and another system in another room.
Probably enough RCA and speaker cables running around here to wire an aircraft carrier by now.
The Phono section is strictly average and uninspiring and a Cambridge Audio 640P phono pre puts it to shame.
I have to believe, from reviews, a Yamaha preamp is the way to go for phono listening.
Since we all realize this hobby is never truly "finished", it was something I wanted to try and see if I could stumble on something that worked better.

Back
Top Bottom