AKG P8ES cart

I really tried to like the next generation PMD AKGs, the 25 had a really interesting 6 facet diamond but they just didn't make the grade compared to the competition from AT and also a new product from Micro Accoustics....

Sorry Luke, I forgot it was you. The LP Gear option is very inexpensive at $35. I don't know of a $35 cartridge that is more than rock-bottom capable. If you like the AKG sound with the LP Gear stylus, you can spring for the costlier Shibata, and probably improve on it. C_dk thinks the old cartridges are overrated, and he's right that a NOS stylus for this cart would have the same suspension problem as mine. He commends new, current carts. Maybe he can suggest one, I don't have any. He's also right about Micro Acoustics — I had a 3002, it was amazing — but I broke it, and like the AKG it can't be replaced. If ever a NOS one shows up, the bidding with be fierce.

Yes, it will sound fine in a SME arm, if you're talking the classic Series II or III (don't know about the newer ones, I only used them with lo-complicance MC). Probably half the arms in use with the AKG back in the day were SME. Acc'ding to C–dk, the Series III would be better (lower mass), but everything I ever used on my II Improved sounded great — though LOMCs like a massier headshell and beefed up c'wt.

Last edited:
I did not think they were over rated 35 years ago, but to deliver better sound to our local clients we needed to find improved options.......we therefore auditioned cartridges continually from various manufacturers.

I think I have a 2002 around here someplace.....

So for nostalgia it is fun to see all these old warhorses but they were performance dead ends 30 years ago when the replacement stylus costs kept rising for the same old performance.....

A new production cartridge, properly calibrated, just seems to be a much better investment.

I think I have a 2002 around here someplace.....
It's not much use as a paperweight, so if you're not using it for something else — I'll PM you my address. Thanks!!
So for nostalgia it is fun to see all these old warhorses but they were performance dead ends 30 years ago when the replacement stylus costs kept rising for the same old performance.....

A new production cartridge, properly calibrated, just seems to be a much better investment.
Which ones do you recommend? My newest cartridges are 20 years old, a van den Hul, and an Ortofon MC30 Super... and my MMs older still (but they're NOS, so I don't have the replacement-stylus headaches...)

I have been working through a number of the new modestly priced AT cartridges and have posted some of the screenshots of their performance.

I have restored a MCA76 Ortofon headamp and have been rotating a MC10 and MC30 thru it.......if I get time I will post some performance test screen shots....will have to put the MA stylus under the scope to see what it's wear status is....

48-hour update. I should wait longer to make a final judgement, but I'm too enthusiastic. The AKG P8ES sounds fantastic! I won't say it's the "best" but if I could only have one cartridge for the rest of my life, and this was it, I wouldn't complain. As described in my post #11, the stylus was totally effed, suspension like a rock, it wouldn't even play. Now, after torturing it, it's glorious. Every detail, deep defined bass, lush midrange, all in a holographic soundstage.

I've no idea what its specs are, it came from Frankenstein's lab. Marinated in lighter fluid, drowned in alcohol, then twisted in all directions manually, it's a total freak. So much for "microscopic precision" and "tight tolerances". Bangsezmax fixed his with the WD40 trick, says it's off-center with other faults, but it's still his favorite MM. I haven't done comparisons yet, but I know it's right up there. The fix may be temporary, but if it lasts, the stone is NOS, with a long life ahead of it. It even tracks at the recommended 1g.

Luke, if you're still considering yours, I'd jump on that LP Gear stylus. I can confirm at least the cartridge body is first class.

Excellent news, bimasta. And THAT is why some of us are crazy enough to mess around with old cartridges.

Excellent news, bimasta. And THAT is why some of us are crazy enough to mess around with old cartridges.
I have three other carts that need very serious messing around. Hi-end cartridges well worth fixing. And I have the hubris to think I can fix them — which may prove very wrong. I was going to ask Needlestein for advice, he's a cartridge Mister Fix-It, and always describes the process very well. But since you admit you're also a "crazy", I'll seek your insights as well, if that's OK with you...?

Sure thing!

Sometimes, you have to take the mindset that you have nothing to lose -- either you fix it or it doesn't work. If it doesn't work, it was already not working, so no real loss.

Back
Top Bottom