speaker Lab K-horns... What's the rub?

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
Curious about these knock-offs... would you put them in your collection?
Woofs - JBL K-130
mids- h350, k55
tweets - side mounted T35

Opinions and info wanted-

Hmm, I'm not sure about the JBLs? Are they 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Speaker Lab Ks can be great! I have a pair recapped, with Crites tweeters. Maybe someone will know if that's a good woofer for horn loading. You can pick up Klipsch K33 woofers pretty reasonably priced also, which are optimized for the horn.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the JBLs? Are they 4 ohms or 8 ohms? Speaker Lab Ks can be great! I have a pair recapped, with Crites tweeters. Maybe someone will know if that's a good woofer for horn loading. You can pick up Klipsch K33 woofers pretty reasonably priced also, which are optimized for the horn.
the k-130s were 8 ohm. but I lost my chance at them...

Built a pair of the Speakerlab Khorns in college. Had no clue what I was doig. The SL 15" woofer is 8 ohms and the K-33 is 4 ohms. SL xover had no autotransformer (can't recall if there was an lpad on the mid and tweeter). Best to use woofer with same TS specs as K-33. Some people use Eminencne Delta 15 from Parts express or Crites. I just used a pair of Crites 15" case woofers in a 1" think LaScala build and was very please..

would you put them in your collection?
Woofs - JBL K-130
mids- h350, k55

Opinions and info wanted-
I acquired a pair but I didn't have any corners left. So I took them to my daughters house. They are the bomb! Maybe it's the room but they sound better than my khorns. I would never hesitate to get a pair. Even if it's just the bass bins. They are the key platform for the rest. You can match up the mid/tweet part later.

Worth it.

Just an observation but, if the tweeters are standing vertical verses horizontal, they they are actually in the correct (as designed) orientation. Klipsch flipped them 90 degrees. I wasn't there but I'm guessing to make it more space efficient verses improvement on sound.

Having bought LaSclas when I was a young lad, I was perplexed when I saw a T-35 brochure with a vertical orientation (I also owned some EV's so picked up literature from both when I could)... you'd think the manufacturer would know the correct way to put it! (horizontal)... wasn't until later I figured out my mistake.

Just an observation but, if the tweeters are standing vertical verses horizontal, they they are actually in the correct (as designed) orientation. Klipsch flipped them 90 degrees. I wasn't there but I'm guessing to make it more space efficient verses improvement on sound.

Having bought LaSclas when I was a young lad, I was perplexed when I saw a T-35 brochure with a vertical orientation (I also owned some EV's so picked up literature from both when I could)... you'd think the manufacturer would know the correct way to put it! (horizontal)... wasn't until later I figured out my mistake.
Coytee from what I recall reading about the orientation you are exactly correct. That said the difference in the two mounting positions does not result in a very big difference in dispersion patterns so no foul was considered done but If I was building new I would mount them vertically.

Confused... are you saying that EV recommends using them vertically? ...that the T-35 is designed to be mounted like this : upload_2017-9-24_12-55-42.png

Not like this : upload_2017-9-24_13-0-9.png

I always assumed it was about dispersion angle and optimizing a larger "sweet spot" . If I looked like this:upload_2017-9-24_15-48-28.png

And I was 9 ft tall, then I might like a vertical t-35....

Coytee from what I recall reading about the orientation you are exactly correct. That said the difference in the two mounting positions does not result in a very big difference in dispersion patterns so no foul was considered done but If I was building new I would mount them vertically.

I've looked for "official" documentation on this, and I can't find it. I am just curious, not challenging.

Confused... are you saying that EV recommends using them vertically? ...that the T-35 is designed to be mounted like this : View attachment 1011386

Not like this : View attachment 1011392

I always assumed it was about dispersion angle and optimizing a larger "sweet spot" . If I looked like this:View attachment 1011585

And I was 9 ft tall, then I might like a vertical t-35....
the T-35 is a diffraction horn and has its widest dispersion horizontally when positioned with the long axis vertical. This info is on line and on my old hard drive (but the hard drive is no good to either of us).

Back
Top Bottom