Replace Oppo DV-980H with Onkyo C-7030 for playing CDs

S-K

Currently running the Oppo with optical digital out into Onkyo A-9010 amp. Thinking of replacing the Oppo with the C-7030 after seeing all the good reviews. Do you think there would be much improvement? My speakers are Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. CDs tend to be in the realm of Jackson Browne, Al Stewart and Hawaiian music. Kinda new to this, so open to experienced opinion. Thanks!

If you're using the DAC in the receiver, I would use whichever one you like the UI of better, any difference in sound will be imperceptible.

I used the money I would have spent on the C-7030 towards a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers. Let's see how this works out. Definitely a step up from the Pioneer speakers. Thanks to all for the help.

I used the money I would have spent on the C-7030 towards a pair of Q Acoustics 3020 speakers. Let's see how this works out. Definitely a step up from the Pioneer speakers. Thanks to all for the help.

How do you like those 3020's?

Currently running the Oppo with optical digital out into Onkyo A-9010 amp. Thinking of replacing the Oppo with the C-7030 after seeing all the good reviews. Do you think there would be much improvement? My speakers are Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. CDs tend to be in the realm of Jackson Browne, Al Stewart and Hawaiian music. Kinda new to this, so open to experienced opinion. Thanks!

Oppo is a good transport. No reason to replace unless it is broken. With you speakers you won't notice any improvement if use high-end player instead.

I just bought a new 7030 as the parts that are used seem to have good specs.
It arrived with a nice dent on the back corner. All costs were reimbursed.
I enjoy free sound. (While it lasts)

Wise move.

By far the biggest improvement one can make to our stereo system is replacing mediocre speakers, Like those Pioneers with a much better speaker like those Q Acoustics.

Try using the Oppo's analog stereo outputs. It may have a better DAC. I agree swapping average CD transports is just a sideways move in terms of SQ.

It probably does have a noticeably better DAC than the Onkyo 9010 amp. It is one of the main reasons for buying an Oppo, or any other higher end CD player for CD's, as opposed to using something like my $180 Sony 4K/3D Blu-ray disc player for CD's. It doesn't even have a DAC but is fine, If a bit clunky through the DAC in an amp or receiver.

I ended up using the analog outs of the Oppo into the 9010. Speakers are the Q Acoustics 3020. Sounds good (better than the Pioneers). I have to say that all the posts on the Wharfedale Denton Anniversary speakers have me tempted to get a pair of those. Anyone know how the sound or musicality differs between the Dentons and the 3020s? I wonder if I am missing something, but maybe I already have a decent setup and should call it a day?

I think you would experience a nice sonic upgrade with the Denton's. They are a much higher quality speaker than your 3020's. That being said, your current setup should sound pretty good.

Well, I decided that I like the Pioneer BS22 better than the Q Acoustics 3020. I can't seem to listen to the 3020s too long. They seem too direct or harsh to me, not relaxed. I can listen to the Pioneers and just enjoy them. Are the Dentons voiced to be in the same/similar vein to the BS22s?

I believe Wharfedale are carried at the big box retailers. Go listen to them at a Best Buy. Just go when they aren't busy & don't let the commissioned salesperson pressure you. We all hear differently. I like bright speakers, apparently you don't. Its just a matter of preference (and my high frequency hearing loss). You need to hear them for yourself. There are lots of new & used choices. Enjoy the shopping - don't rush the decision.

I had an Onkyo C-7030 used through an Onkyo TX-NR828, and found I got significantly better sound when I replaced the 7030 with an Emotiva ERC-3. This is using the analog outputs of both the 7030 and the ERC-3; both have DAC circuits that sound better than the DAC in the 828. From reading the boards it looks like a tossup between Emotiva and Oppo for CD fidelity; but I've not tried an Oppo.

Well, I recently got a Chromecast Audio and have it connected to the DAC on my Onkyo 9010 amp feeding the Q Acoustics 3020. Spotify free sound pretty good to my ears...I can listen for hours without thinking about it. The Oppo CD into the 9010 sounded harsh to me, but the low-bit Spotify sounds good. Who would have thought? I am back to liking the 3020 over the Pioneer BS-22. I may still pick up a pair of the Dentons if they go back on sale for $399.

Back
Top Bottom