ADS L400 large vs small; Sat/Sub systems

hntjr

Presently I have a pair of Infinity RS 2.5. They are a little large for my room, so I am contemplating selling them and going to a Satellite Subwoofer system. In the running of Sat/Sub is the ADS SS2300 and the Infinity Modulus system as well as Infinity Infinitesimal speakers with a subwoofer. Other suggestions would be welcome to investigate.

The ADS SS2300 comes with L400 speakers, but from what I have read, there is a smaller L400 and a larger version of the L400 that came with the SS2300 system. How can you identify the larger L400 that came with the SS2300 system?

The Subwoofer PB-1500 and C-1500 Controller are hard to find. So if I bought the L400 what subwoofer with a paired controller would work well with this system of a Sub Sat? I'd like to have a Controller like the C-1500. Then again Infinity has a lot of servo controlled subwoofer, which would work well this this idea.

Anyone have experience with listening to the Infinity Modulus with subwoofer vs ADS SS2300 system vs an Infinity Infinitesimal with a subwoofer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nelson

Me,I'd probably not go looking for the ADS SS2300 set-up and instead just approach that much the same as the Infinitesimal/sub idea.
Heck one could even do the same with the Modulus if they HAD to.

The L400 as well as the Infinitesimal & Modulus are all very nice compact speakers,so IMO they'd all be in the running.
But I would'nt go to any great lengths/expense to insist on pairing them up with the original subs (ADS/Modulus).
Just too many other acceptable substitutes (no pun intended,LOL) out there that would be easier & cheaper to complete a nice sat/sub set-up.
And IMHO many newer subs would likely be easier to integrate into a wider variety of stereo systems.

Heck I'd consider any of the smaller ADS speakers for this,the L200(C) & L300(C) included.
As well as most of the smaller Canton speakers.

I'm absolutely thrilled with my Canton GL-260/AS85-SC speaker/sub combo in my headphone/nearfield rig.
And I would also consider their Plus S/Plus C combo as well (already have the Plus S).

If I were coming at this purely as a collector,then yeah sure having the whole system would be my goal.
But I'm far too pragmatic for that,plus I usually cant afford that approach,LOL.

JMO ~ FWIW

Bret P.

Just about all powered subs these days come with adjustable low pass filter, level, and some have phase control. Higher end models may even incorporate their own DSP/tuning system.

When running a sub/sat system, there are two basic choices -

Run the sat speaker full range meaning no high pass filter, or
run the sats with a high pass filter to cut the frequencies they can't reproduce well anyway.

Some powered subs have built in high pass filter for the sats but often they are fixed value. One wants to be sure that sort of high pass filter is about right for your sats. Usually, the recommendation is to have the high pass around or a little higher than the -3dB point of the sats.

If the sub does not have high pass, even simple series capacitors will provide 6dB roll off to the sats. Or, of course, sky's the limit if you wanted to go with external active crossover and all that sort of thing.

Well, I use a pair of Paradigm Servo 15s.

My brother uses a Rythmik Audio F12, which I believe is a servo controlled sub.

That said, I don't believe it's necessary to have a servo sub to get excellent subwoofage. In either of our cases, my bother and I, that the subs were servo was not the deciding factor. It just happened to end up that way.

The sat/sub system used the smaller model 400, not the much older model 400 (some of which are badged L400) or the later L400e. This system intentionally married small bookshelf speakers that were by themselves a little shy on bass, with the PB1500 powered sub. Listening to my pair as I write this... the 400 anyway, my PB1500 is stashed at home.

You can see the correct, smaller model 400 on the matching F400 stands (same one they used in the 2300 system brochure and PB-1500 owner's guide) on page 8 (for web view pdf anyway) in the 1980 model year brochure here: http://sportsbil.com/ads/1980-brochure.pdf

John

So many different ways to achieve what you're trying to, don't limit your options to a single manufacturers "system".

I run NHT SuperOnes with an M&K Volkswoofer and am happy with the results.

No HPF on the NHT's and the LPF is set to around 75hz on the Volkswoofer.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom