What's the best looking DIGITAL receiver of all time?

Jeesus jebbezus did I count 79 buttons on that?What on earth were they thinking?

IIRC, it's actually around 90, many of the buttons are double ended (up/down). Anyone got a model with more buttons?

I have the front panel and PCB here floating around- I had to replace several of these:

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

It pays to have several thousand of these in stock (all different shaft lengths) for repairs. I even had to do two on the weekend for my sons' remote controlled battle tanks transmitters.

Most common failure in electronics, these little tactile switches.

Seems like the challenge with digital was that this also allowed the companies to add all sorts of other gizmos and control options that frankly just are not needed so everything just got loaded up and cluttered. Frankly, in the long run I don't thjink this helped them as it got too complex for too many. Notice how more current stuff is going back to a sleeker look with some options only being on the remote and LED panels taking over providing the info of only what you are currently adjusting or using.

Seems like the challenge with digital was that this also allowed the companies to add all sorts of other gizmos and control options that frankly just are not needed so everything just got loaded up and cluttered. Frankly, in the long run I don't thjink this helped them as it got too complex for too many. Notice how more current stuff is going back to a sleeker look with some options only being on the remote and LED panels taking over providing the info of only what you are currently adjusting or using.
Agreed.As much as I liked the Pioneer VSX D1S it was too complex(not in a way I couldn't figure out..I just didn't want too) and after seeing some here there are a lot worse.

Last edited:
had one of these, never worked right or sounded goog

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
This one gets my vote as being head and shoulders above every digital receiver I've ever brought home
index.php
I dig that one

This is the Yamaha RX-V850 (1992?) which I have (not my pic). It's a bit of a conversation starter with people, mostly because it's just obscenely big. But I love the understated design and look, feel and build quality of it. And it's got gobs and gobs of power. It's got a learning remote which is also hilariously huge. Dolby Pro Logic, which of course I don't use, but stereo performance is awesome. The display (since we are talking about displays) is an LCD, backlit by a single incandescent lightbulb. This retailed for over $1000 in the early 90s, I got mine last year for 50 bucks, still practically NIB with the batteries, remote, manual and antenna sealed in their original bags. The original owner bought it, had it dynoed at 114 wpc in stereo, and then pretty much put it right back in the box, where it sat for 25 years until I came along. I guess it wasn't enough power for him. I asked him why he didn't return it and get his thousand bucks back, and he just kinda shrugged and went "Eh, I just didn't feel like it."

Yamaha_RX-V850_cup2_695x394_pixels.gif

Last edited:
I'm not sure but didn't Radio Shack have some in the mid 80's that looked darn good starting after their STA-2300?:)

I always thought the Onkyo Tx 8000 was a sleek clean looking receiver, that not only sounded good but didn't look like a jet fighter.

This one is currently in production and my choice.
MDMD209_34.jpg

Magnum Dynalab MD-209.

Good call! The Magnum Dynalabs have always been lookers. It's not a receiver, but the Magnum Dynalab FT-101A remains, in my opinion, the finest looking piece of audio equipment I have ever owned.

The MD 208 came in both silver and black, with curved wooden half cheeks and sculpted heatsinks:

1088466-magnum-dynalab-md208-receiver.jpg

1088455-magnum-dynalab-md208-receiver.jpg

1287940-magnum-dynalab-md-208-discrete-audio-receiver-stereophile-recommended-3000-msrp.jpg

1287941-magnum-dynalab-md-208-discrete-audio-receiver-stereophile-recommended-3000-msrp.jpg

1287942-magnum-dynalab-md-208-discrete-audio-receiver-stereophile-recommended-3000-msrp.jpg

This one even looked good from the back:

1287943-magnum-dynalab-md-208-discrete-audio-receiver-stereophile-recommended-3000-msrp.jpg

This is the Yamaha RX-V850 (1992?) which I have (not my pic). It's a bit of a conversation starter with people, mostly because it's just obscenely big. But I love the understated design and look, feel and build quality of it. And it's got gobs and gobs of power. It's got a learning remote which is also hilariously huge. Dolby Pro Logic, which of course I don't use, but stereo performance is awesome. The display (since we are talking about displays) is an LCD, backlit by a single incandescent lightbulb. This retailed for over $1000 in the early 90s, I got mine last year for 50 bucks, still practically NIB with the batteries, remote, manual and antenna sealed in their original bags. The original owner bought it, had it dynoed at 114 wpc in stereo, and then pretty much put it right back in the box, where it sat for 25 years until I came along. I guess it wasn't enough power for him. I asked him why he didn't return it and get his thousand bucks back, and he just kinda shrugged and went "Eh, I just didn't feel like it."

Yamaha_RX-V850_cup2_695x394_pixels.gif
I used to own one of these. A beast. I had to replace the bulb on the display though. Does your readout still work?

I used to own one of these. A beast. I had to replace the bulb on the display though. Does your readout still work?

Very nice receiver, I used to sell them and I picked one up a few years ago but have since sold it. One of the really nice things about it is that it does not have the motorized rotary input selector switch that has put so many similar Yamaha pieces out of commission.

The 1050 is the real beast of the series!

Yeah, like I said, the thing had only been taken out of the box once when I bought it. It was crazy. It's hard for me to imagine somebody spending $1000 on something like that and just sticking it back in the box for two decades but I guess the guy was a hoarder with money to burn.

I bet that Yammie Rx-V850 sounds nearly identical (doubt I could hear a difference) to my RX-950 from the same time period. The 950 is rated at 120 WPC so it has just a tad more power.

Interestingly, I bought an RX-750 recently (stereo only) that was rated at 85x2, but the 850 romped all over it. It wasn't even close. Bigger transformer and all, I guess. The 850 was rated at 80x3 for the front channels and I believe 25x2 for the back. All that juice has to go somewhere in stereo mode, I guess.

I bet that 950 is a monster. I've looked around for one but it seems they are super rare.

It could possibly be the same amp in both machines, just split up differently. 120x2 for the 950, 80x3 for the 850. They both add up to 240.

Last edited:
I agree, the JVC RX-1010V is pretty much the one that sets the bar. :)

I've got a RX-1001V and here's a pic of its insane remote in pieces (leaking caps needed replacing)...

View attachment 1012869

View attachment 1012870

Full learning remote with customisable backlit touch screen LCD- all in 1989/90.
View attachment 1012871

It is a beast.

View attachment 1012859
(not my pic)

I think the RX-1001V would set the record for the most number of buttons on any front panel, I'll dig out the front panel sometime- I never bothered to restore the unit after buying it cheap years ago. It has rosewood sides and is rather attractive IMO- if you like buttons and lots of VFD real estate.

If you like the 1010, check out the RX-1050!
LOL, After dark, I'd need a flashlight to read all those black buttons.

Back
Top Bottom