Can I handle these speakers: Ohm Walsh 3, Dahlquist DQ-20s

zim bida

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello,

around me both of these it seems pretty highly regarded speakers have come available for what seems reasonable prices and I am very tempted (even though I really don't need more speakers, nor have room for the ones I do have) to get one of these - they are priced about the same

however, in reading through threads here it seems that both of these speakers are very very power hungry and I am not sure that the sources I have on hand are enough to do either of them justice.

these are the receivers I have on hand which could possibly be used alongside these:
Luxman R-1050
Pioneer SX-750
Rotel RX-830 (I am pretty sure this is a no-go, but include it for the sake of completeness)
Denon X2200W

Are any of these receivers capable of handling the power needs of the speakers mentioned above? If so, any particular synchronicity between receiver/speaker or clear preference between the two?

thanks for you ropinions and guidance

Not sure about the Ohm speakers as I've had very limited exposure but I have experienced DQ20's and they are very fine speakers. They perform better with higher power amplification. I tried everything from 30 watt tube amps to 200 watt SS amps and the 200 watt amps won handily.

I drive my Ohm Walsh 2 with a 60W/Ch tube amp with no issues.

I also used to own an R-1050. It makes almost any speaker sound good - preferred it to both a McIntosh MA-6100 and a Marantz 2252B I used to own. It also did a good job driving my difficult to drive Soliloquy 6.2.

Of course, I suggest this assuming a medium room, and that you don't listen to music at scramjet levels.

I think the last time I heard Ohm Walsh 3s was back in 1982(?). I loved Ohm speakers, especially the Ohm L, C3 and Walsh series.

The Walsh series needs a good amp to get them going for Pop type music. They demand fast current that only tube or bi-polar can deliver.

If you are listening to Pop music, then I recommend a tube amp or a 1970's receiver or amp built with bi-polar transistors with 70w/ch or more.

If you are listening to Classical, Vocal, Folk or Acoustical Instrument music, then most 50w/ch receivers or amps will do from any era.

Given the receivers that you have:
Luxman R-1050 - 55w/ch
Pioneer SX-750 - 50w/ch
Rotel RX-830 - 20w/ch
Denon X2200W - 95w/ch

I think any of these will work with the Classical, Vocal, Folk or Acoustical Instrument type music, except the Rotel. The Rotel will just die when connected to the Walsh 3s.

Denon X2200W may work for Pop, but I'd rather use an old-school 70s built Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz and Sansui just to name a few. If you asked me to pick one, I'd go with the Marantz 2270. They are expensive...but, trust me...they're worth it!!!

The Walsh 3 is a great speaker when coupled with the right power. If I remember correctly, the Walsh 3s sold for $1,200 for the pair. So if you're into Pop music, don't go cheap on the power if you decide to buy the Walsh 3s!

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate them. Turns out the seller had only one working Ohm, so it's off to check out the dahlquists, though it seems that from replies they may be less of a fit to my setup

Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate them. Turns out the seller had only one working Ohm, so it's off to check out the dahlquists, though it seems that from replies they may be less of a fit to my setup
Seriously consider changing your setup to accommodate the DQ20's, it'll be worth it. :)

Speaker placement is more critical with the DQ 20, and they should be off the back wall and away from any corners. They also need a quality powered sub, they roll off at 40 hz. The tweets also have a fairly high failure rate, so be sure you check them.

well, while I was clearing some things out to make space for the dahlquists someone beat me to it. Sigh. Hope they enjoy them
ahh well, those things needed to be cleared out anyways

thanks for all the advice

ps
that does leave me freedom to pursue other speakers...

Zim Bida...what kind of music do you listen to? Can you name some artists? I think that this information can really help us make some useful suggests to you.

As to what I listen to, well that's kind of a hard question - I've got a strong strong liking for 60's and 70's african popular music, but am eclectic outside of that

here are the last 5 recordings I've been listening to
Los Camaroes - Resurrection Los, Vol. 1 (Reissue of 70s cameroonian music)
Gillian Welch - Soul Journey (2003)
Elmore James - Dust My Broom
EPMD - Strictly Business (1988)
Homemade compilation of 70s Ghanian Highlife

mostly I listen from lossless files served through network via aux ports, but also CD and some Vinyl, looking to get more of my vinyl out of storage

don't know if that helps

Yes...that's a huge help!!! First of all, I really like your musical taste. The only one I was familiar with was the Elmore James. The others were new and great!

From my perspective, with this music I think there are a lot of really good speakers for you to select from, which makes it sometimes more challenging to select a final pair.

Others on this board can make better suggestions than I, especially on the newer speakers out there.

Last edited:
thanks - if you are really interested I can send you a copy of the Ghanian Highlife, its all sourced from vinyl (I think maybe one or two songs were reissued but the rest are pretty obscure) , pm me if so

Back
Top Bottom