ADS metal grille

Clyde F

Hello...I recently bought a nice pair of ADS l1290/2 speakers and the metal grilles came damaged...the metal posts got pushed through the metal grille during shipping...anyone know how to fix this?

Hello...I recently bought a nice pair of ADS l1290/2 speakers and the metal grilles came damaged...the metal posts got pushed through the metal grille during shipping...anyone know how to fix this?
Get some different grills, they should never have been shipped that way but it's too late now. Take a couple of pictures for us and we'll see if we can make any practical suggestions.

Get some different grills, they should never have been shipped that way but it's too late now. Take a couple of pictures for us and we'll see if we can make any practical suggestions.
Any idea where to locate some new grilles if I can't repair them?

Why does a/d/s make such cheap little grill pegs? I had to make a grill for my pair because one was missing, probably due to the pegs breaking off.

Can you give us a picture or two to better see what you are dealing with?

Why does a/d/s make such cheap little grill pegs? I had to make a grill for my pair because one was missing, probably due to the pegs breaking off.

Can you give us a picture or two to better see what you are dealing with?
As Porkloin noted, go to mikes thread for some references.

Why does a/d/s make such cheap little grill pegs?
In all fairness to ADS, I don't think the L1290 grilles are cheaply made, but they are not made to take much abuse, like most speaker grilles I've seen. They are actually a nice design, they don't vibrate and the fit is secure...unless the speaker does a face plant!

If the posts punched through and tore the metal you first need to flatten the perf material back so you can see how much damage there is.

Use a nylon or plastic hammer and set the grille on a flat piece of hardwood; then post those pics.

Expanding on soundmotor's advice, if the grilles were not ripped too much, you can just remove the pegs, which aren't cheap hardware and do some bodywork to the metal grille smoothing it back into place. These are easy to work.

If the metal was ripped out, you could find some material and reinforce the holes at all the locations so they look the same, gluing a chunk of metal to hold the pin in place. Maybe a 1" square of aluminum sheet painted black and glued with a black glue (JBWeld is dark gray). If the hole is larger than the bolt from the outside will cover and that cosmetic issue needs to be addressed a thin larger washer could cover that problem.

I found that using metal hammers, hardwood and a smooth piece of vinyl flooring would get the grilles smooth and flat. Obviously, the tools selected will dictate the amount of force needed. I hit the grilles harder with the wood than I did the with metal hammer, finessing the grilles back to like new. The vinyl (I have two layers on a workbench, keeping its surface nice) allowed the metal to move without letting it bend past the correct shape when hit with proper force.

Don't know if this helps compared to what soundmotor said as he worked at ADS, I didn't. Anyway a drag and drop picture of the issue would be great for further comment.

Here is a 1590 grille I put back to right.
1590-2e.jpg

We
Expanding on soundmotor's advice, if the grilles were not ripped too much, you can just remove the pegs, which aren't cheap hardware and do some bodywork to the metal grille smoothing it back into place. These are easy to work.

If the metal was ripped out, you could find some material and reinforce the holes at all the locations so they look the same, gluing a chunk of metal to hold the pin in place. Maybe a 1" square of aluminum sheet painted black and glued with a black glue (JBWeld is dark gray). If the hole is larger than the bolt from the outside will cover and that cosmetic issue needs to be addressed a thin larger washer could cover that problem.

I found that using metal hammers, hardwood and a smooth piece of vinyl flooring would get the grilles smooth and flat. Obviously, the tools selected will dictate the amount of force needed. I hit the grilles harder with the wood than I did the with metal hammer, finessing the grilles back to like new. The vinyl (I have two layers on a workbench, keeping its surface nice) allowed the metal to move without letting it bend past the correct shape when hit with proper force.

Don't know if this helps compared to what soundmotor said as he worked at ADS, I didn't. Anyway a drag and drop picture of the issue would be great for further comment.

Here is a 1590 grille I put back to right.
View attachment 1020453
Ok...thanks...gonna give this a try...here is what my grills look like now

Attachments

• damaged grills.jpg
    damaged grills.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 50
Those look like they are in pretty good shape. A bit of metal massaging and you should have something nice to hang on your speaker.

You might be able to slip a thin washer in there to help hold the grill in place. Paint it black to make less conspicuous.

Thanks for all the help...was able to flatten out the grills pretty well and used a washer that worked and looks nice...will post a picture when I get them completed

Yeah, flatten the grille where it bent thru and then just use a washer or even a black nylon washer (ACE Hardware) and the old peg should still work fine. Add the same washer to the other pegs to make it match if it alone stands out too much as different. I have come up with some pieces that make up decent replacement pegs if needed.

I've used one or two pound rubber mallet and wood blocks with vinyl flooring sheet underneath grill.
Rubber mallets seemed more forgiving with large soft contact area. Can be used directly on grill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom