$1500 to spend a Amp/Reciever, What would you get for Classic Rock ?

I guess this thread is showing how differently we perceive what we hear. L100;s have always made me want to cut off my ears and run away.

The Def Techs I heard (model # unknown) were underwhelming to me. They reminded me of any number of "monkey coffins" I've heard over the years. That is, boxy with a truncated soundstage.

Perhaps I should mention that I'm especially sensitive to any accentuation in the treble area. To whit: any excess treble or harshness exacerbates my tinnitus.

I agree, our perceptions may not be similar. But I have to respectively disagree with your description of the Def Techs. The soundstage , as set up in my listening area is expansive and dynamic. What are your reference speakers ?

I have gone to quite a few live concerts over the past six months. Small venues mostly. I didn't find it that difficult to come back and listen to my home system. Although the sound quality varied from venue to venue , from superb to so -so. , you just can't beat live music. For me, it is important to hear live music to help keep things in perspective.

As for some good rock speakers, Infinity made a nice little box with a 12 inch driver, a mid, and an EMIT, that in my opinion is far better sounding. It will play loud, bass is great as the bass driver is a dual voice coil, which provides far lower frequencies than the other speakers your comparing it to. The mid range is very musical, and the hi's are quite extended compared to all the others with their less capable paper tweeters. They are found often for a reasonable rate and they have really nice veneer as well. I like the TOTL models better but for your application it would fit your requirements.

Infinity Quantum Jr.
I have a pair but these are not mine but just picture off the net. I own a Yamaha CR2040 receiver that rocks quite well with these speakers, and both can be found for far less than many other brands of gear.

cool+3:4.jpg

Wow...another pair of old-school 70s speakers! I've never heard them before but I've always liked the lighter color veneer that Infinity used. A very good looking pair of speakers.

I had a pair of Definitive Technology BP 7006s which I believe are similar to your BP10s. I agree with you...Definitive Technology really doesn't get the respect that they should. IMO, they are a very very good speaker! The other thing I loved about them was their look. To me...they just simply looked awesome!!! Here are a few pictures of my BP 7006s. I hope you like them!!! :)

View attachment 1022075 View attachment 1022076 View attachment 1022077

Well here's another example of tastes being different! Personally I think they look awful. Like the monolith in 2001 and I wouldn't be surprised to come in one day and find a group of monkeys finally starting to use tools around mine. But they certainly do not get the respect they deserve. My BP 2002 towers are awesome.

And by awesome I mean they have a huge soundstage with pinpoint placement of instruments and midrange clarity that, well sounds like they cost $1,000 each... which they did when I bought them new. The ability of these speakers to serve as great music speakers and then not bat an eye and deliver crazy HT sound makes them the perfect choice for the HT enthusiast that also likes to listen to music.

Turn that around and there's no way my Yamaha 690ii can touch the Def Techs on HT... they might have an edge on music, but if I had to choose only one pair to keep, there's no contest.

Last edited:
Well here's another example of tastes being different! Personally I think they look awful. Like the monolith in 2001 and I wouldn't be surprised to come in one day and find a group of monkeys finally starting to use tools around mine. But they certainly do not get the respect they deserve. My BP 2002 towers are awesome.

And by awesome I mean they have a huge soundstage with pinpoint placement of instruments and midrange clarity that, well sounds like they cost $1,000 each... which they did when I bought them new. The ability of these speakers to serve as great music speakers and then not bat an eye and deliver crazy HT sound makes them the perfect choice for the HT enthusiast that also likes to listen to music.

Turn that around and there's no way my Yamaha 690ii can touch the Def Techs on HT... they might have an edge on music, but if I had to choose only one pair to keep, there's no contest.

That is exactly how I used my Definitive Technology speakers, Home Theater (HT)! I totally agree that the Def Techs present an amazing soundstage. I have an ultra modern sound room that had the BP 7006s up front and the BP 7004s in rear. Star Wars never sounded so good! :) Here are a few pics of my BP 7004s:

A09.JPG A02.JPG A03.JPG

That is exactly how I used my Definitive Technology speakers, Home Theater (HT)! I totally agree that the Def Techs present an amazing soundstage. I have an ultra modern sound room that had the BP 7006s up front and the BP 7004s in rear. Star Wars never sounded so good! :) Here are a few pics of my BP 7004s:

View attachment 1023375 View attachment 1023373 View attachment 1023374

Often people who are "underwhelmed" by the bi-polar DefTechs have heard a pair that were too close to the back wall. One of the drawbacks of these speakers is that they need a LOT of breathing room. The farther out into the room they can go, the better they sound. I think the recommendation is a minimum of 18 inches away from the wall, but I tried to keep at least two feet of space all the way around. These days they are a little cramped, but when I really want to rock I pull them out into the room and crank it.

I agree with sensei91,
It may be time to start getting out of mainstream equipment ?
I would say Speakers first so that you can actually Hear the upgrades that you WILL be making,
(if you’re as hooked as I am)..
Spend as much as you can , even more than you can afford ( slightly) so that you don’t want to upgrade in the near future..
$1500 -$2000 will get you a lot of choices..
Don’t go mainstream, go Internet Direct ..
Do some investigating and maybe visit the company and listen in person..(if near)
I took a chance on TEKTON Design and am Happy with my purchase,($1600)
just a step above any brand I’ve heard in any retail store..
Talk to Eric he will have something in your price range and your music taste..(or he’ll make it)..

I’ve never heard these but, I would like to try some “SALK” ,or “Daedalus” ,maybe some “Spatial” open baffle speakers myself..
I have heard some “Ryan” speakers at LAAS 2017 that were impressive..
Buying direct , your just gonna get more for your money

Last edited:
They are listed in my signature; Magnepan 1.7's w/dual 12" TL subs. However, my sound reference is the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Kimmel Center.

JoeESP9, you are very very lucky to live in Philadelphia and have the opportunity to hear the Philadelphia Orchestra regularly!

I was born and raised in Cleveland and I was 9 years old when I heard the Cleveland Orchestra for the last time. I have not forgotten it!

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about classical music but I found over the yeas that I do like Mozart. Also, unfortunately, I don't have the speakers that play classical well. That aside, the piece that always blows me away is Mozart's Quartet no. 20, D, KV.499. I especially like the second movement, which you probably already know.

But in case you don't, as I was preparing this message, I found a fabulous YouTube video that covers the entire piece! The second movement starts at 9:37 and ends at 12:30. The part that gets me is the descending triplets that start at 10:00 and resolve back to the head at 10:11. I hope you like this piece:

I agree with sensei91,
It may be time to start getting out of mainstream equipment ?
I would say Speakers first so that you can actually Hear the upgrades that you WILL be making,
(if you’re as hooked as I am)..
Spend as much as you can , even more than you can afford ( slightly) so that you don’t want to upgrade in the near future..
$1500 -$2000 will get you a lot of choices..
Don’t go mainstream, go Internet Direct ..
Do some investigating and maybe visit the company and listen in person..(if near)
I took a chance on TEKTON Design and am Happy with my purchase,($1600)
just a step above any brand I’ve heard in any retail store..
Talk to Eric he will have something in your price range and your music taste..(or he’ll make it)..

I’ve never heard these but, I would like to try some “SALK” ,or “Daedalus” ,maybe some “Spatial” open baffle speakers myself..
I have heard some “Ryan” speakers at LAAS 2017 that were impressive..
Buying direct , your just gonna get more for your money

I get your point. For me, I love restoring old vintage stuff...plus I love the sound of it!!! I'm very lucky because I truly have found the sound that I've always been looking for. Plus, at this point, if I went up-scale in price...I'd be forced to go to "single's" bars! :)

They are listed in my signature; Magnepan 1.7's w/dual 12" TL subs. However, my sound reference is the Philadelphia Orchestra at the Kimmel Center.

Yes, right, you did mention that, sorry I missed it.
Are you also listening elsewhere ?
I had a chance recently to purchase an older used set of Maggies, but I thought they might need some work, and I am not that familiar with them to take on as a project.. I have the room, but not in my main listening area.. Again, the problem for me is low volume listening on them. But I was tempted, I have a C 28 Mcintosh preamp that I am not even using , and was thinking about getting them and another power amp.
Regardless, I am sure you enjoy them .
I am fortunate to have the Harford Symphony orchestra close by, and an excellent NPR station that plays Classical and Jazz. FM reception for me is stellar , with just a powered Terk indoor.

Your Maggies are around twice the price as the BP10, so that is also an important point.

I also use a live DVD recording for reference , which is Keith Emerson Band Live in Moscow. Out of all the DVD concerts I have , and heard, nothing approaches this recording IMO. You can play it in two channel also , , so I would suggest it to anyone, especially if you have subs. Make sure you use analog out , not HDMI. I was lucky enough to meet and talk to the lead guitarist on the DVD a few months ago before a live concert. The soundstage of the BP10 is really demonstrated quite well on this recording.

I first heard Magneplanars in 1976 in a store (no longer in existence) in downtown Philadelphia. I immediately sold my two month old B&O S-75's to a buddy and bought a new pair of MG-1's ($500). Interestingly, both pairs were identically priced. Since then I've had nothing but planers or ESL's of one type or another in my room.

As for music. I listen to just about everything except gospel and bluegrass. However, my main interests are Jazz and classical. I regularly attend classical concerts at the Kimmel Center and that is my music reference. I also frequently attend live Jazz concerts being played at various venues and clubs in and around Philadelphia

IMO/E planars, ESL's and many open baffles get the midrange right. That's where the bulk of all music is centered and many box speakers IMO do a mediocre job of reproducing it. Yes, planars, OB's and ESL's are often deficient in the extreme lows and the top end usually isn't as prominent as many speakers, especially those with horn tweeters. However, the IMO all important midrange sounds better on them. FWIW: I dislike the sound of most horns.

My 20+ year old Acoustat Spectra 22's were replaced by Maggie 1.7's only because a transformer in an interface self destructed. I fully iintend getting the interface fixed. Although I "started" with MG-1's I also owned MG-2's and MG-3a's before moving to ESL's (Acoustat Model 3's) in the mid-80's. As for the lack of bass in OB's, planars and ESL's, I use a pair of DIY 12" transmission line subwoofers (EQ'd flat to 18Hz) to augment the low end. I've never felt that my ESL's or Maggies were ever deficient in the top end.

BTW: The Acoustat Model 3's in the room they were in at the time reproduced the 32Hz organ tone in Thus Spake Zerathustra with pants flapping authority. In that room a subwoofer was not needed or even considered with the Model 3's. My current room doesn't natively produce deep bass from panels. Hence the dual TL subs equalized using a DSP.

Trying to remember who in Philly sold Maggies...Radio 437? Muchnicks?? I was a mystery shopper for Harmon International then, and went to all the stores....

Back
Top Bottom