B&W Owners Thread

Couple of months ago I nailed a pair of Matrix 1s for $120/pr and I am in awe. They have some superficial cosmetic damage from being dropped, but there is no effect on sound quality. I doubt I will ever replace them.

Very nice score, l bet they do sound very good as they weren't a cheap speaker back in the 80's. I have owned the Matrix 2's for about 18 months and really like them also.

I have a pair of CDM1s I found on CL recently. I'm driving them with an Onkyo A5 for the time being , and I'm very imprressed with them. I may try them with my Citation 22 in the near future just for grins.

Are

you sure this vintage dm are thousands dollar
Yes, I'm sure. The Matrix series was the direct descendant of the original 801s and were followed by the Nautilus series. The DM (stands for Digital Monitor) series was designed by B&W to provide the budget listener with sound as close to the TOTL speakers at an affordable price.

A little Googling would take you a long way towards understanding the B&W speaker line

Very nice score, l bet they do sound very good as they weren't a cheap speaker back in the 80's. I have owned the Matrix 2's for about 18 months and really like them also.
Yeah, about 500/speaker back then. Those Matrix 2s were even better.

I have a pair of CDM1s I found on CL recently. I'm driving them with an Onkyo A5 for the time being , and I'm very imprressed with them. I may try them with my Citation 22 in the near future just for grins.
Had a chance at a pair of CDM1s, but missed out. They're very good speakers...bet they sound good with plenty of power.

Had a chance at a pair of CDM1s, but missed out. They're very good speakers...bet they sound good with plenty of power.
If you get another chance at a pair for a reasonable price, I would heartily recommended jumping on them. Every once in a while I almost think I need a sub but not very often. They are a VERY impressive small speaker, at least in my opinion.

Well I found out that the CDM1 likes a LOT of power yesterday. I hooked up my Citation 22 in place of the Onkyo A5 that's been running the CDM1s in the party hut, and WOW! I didn't think those little bookshelves would really benefit as much as they did from the extra 150wpc. A really good speaker is now absolutely staggering with the right amplifier behind it. I'm using the preamp section of the A5 right now but I'll be moving gear around again soon. I'm anxious to get the P306RS hooked up next, and see what that sounds like out there.

Last edited:
Well I found out that the CDM1 likes a LOT of power yesterday. I hooked up my Citation 22 in place of the Onkyo A5 that's been running the CDM1s in the party hut, and WOW! I didn't think those little bookshelves would really benefit as much as they did from the extra 150wpc. A really good speaker is now absolutely staggering with the right amplifier behind it.

Sounds like you have revealed what they can really do. Yes it seems most B&W's appreciate the extra power.

Sounds like you have revealed what they can really do. Yes it seems most B&W's appreciate the extra power.
I think there's more to be had. The Citation 22 pairs very well with the P306RS that's in the living room system, and as soon as I get my hands on the Kenwood C2 I bought, the P306 will be back with the Citation. I'm really anxious to hear this combo through the B&Ws.

Have had my 683 S2s now for two years. I thoroughly enjoy these speakers. They sound fantastic and look great. Looking foward to the carbon dome tweeter and the Continuum cone mid-range to make it down to the 600 Series.

Cheers,

Scott

I've been running my 805N's for almost 2 years now and still haven't had that itch to try something new. They just settle perfectly into everything I play... be it heavier rock, to electronic, or even for movie watching. That last one, movie watching, is a finicky thing. Mostly every new movie has overly bombastic lower end during action sequences and I would often find myself moving the volume up and down while watching. With my Elicit-R and these B&W's I never feel like things get too boomy. Still loving every minute!

I've got a pair of Matrix 804s and DM620s. Both are great speakers that I like a lot.
The 804s have incredible mid range and treble with a surprising amount of bass for a small driver though only if you run them with a pretty stout amp otherwise they sound lousy.

Back
Top Bottom