585... Worth It?

musichal

poet emeritus
Let's face it. McIntosh and Klipsch together are a classic pairing. Especially tubed models. Or any other old tube amp with Klipsch, especially the old, big Klipsches, like my '76 Khorns. But Mark Levinson and Klipsch? That sounds like some rube hit the lottery. And while I hit no lottery, I am the AudioRube. Me and my listening pals take turns sitting in the sweet spot, just four feet from the spittoon.

Here at AK, we have a democratic representation of audio enthusiasts. The high-enders usually want nothing Klipsch around, with their screechingly shrill upper mids/lower treble, their honky no-wonder-they-called-them-squawkers mids, and spitty tweets all combining to run them from the room with ear-bleed. Some of the diy-guys are certain they can build better gear themselves; I only know I can't. Vintage collectors prefer silver faces and strung tuners, and would much rather rejuvenate a classic amp than buy a new one. Those who pride themselves on spending the absolute least amount possible think buying modern amps for big dollars is wasteful.

Obviously, those are caricatures, painted with a wide, virtual brush, but including kernels of truth. So who cares what I think about the sound of this unlikely pairing? Well, nobody. But almost all of us care about sound, at least to some extent. There are a very few who's real enjoyment comes from taking a broken component and bringing it back to life, but don't listen as much as they tinker. However, tinkerers include some who are obsessed with SQ, too. We're all over the place in the spectrum of audio.

I've loved Khorns from the first time I ever finally heard a pair in the 80s, back when I could hear the (about) 16khz flyback noise of television as clearly as a doorbell. They failed to make my ears bleed. Later, after hearing speakers with smoother response, I recognized some of the Khorn's colorations. Shrillness at high volume being among them. Oddly, I have heard the same from speakers more highly regarded among some audiophiles, that somehow eluded the often vehement criticisms Khorns endure.

At any rate, several of those "better" speakers just lacked what I like about Khorns - their huge, yet intimate, presentation. Bottom line, as far as money goes, I have three grand in a pair of highly presentable (cosmetically) Khorns, but I had a midfi preamp and a BOTL $230 amp to drive them. I'd heard Khorns sound much better, and being basically house-bound, I listen to a lot of the thing that draws most of us here, the music. So I saved up and began the process of deciding on amplification.

I kept resisting the idea of actually spending a lot; maybe a Yamaha integrated would suffice. But I didn't pull the trigger. I remember how good Khorns sounded with NAD, then how much better with Audio Research. The latter was the kind of sound I wanted. I bought a custom-built ST-70, and that was a very nice improvement, until I discovered that tubes and I don't play well together. I put too many hours too soon on an amp. So I sold it in B-town and shipped it to Honolulu.

And added that back into the kitty, taking a nice loss on the sale because I included all the sets of tubes I'd ordered, but the kitty was growing anyway. I was looking at separates, of course. And then along came Mister Pig with his new-to-him JBLs that certainly look like they mean business (would love to hear them) and his powerful NuVista integrated amp. Influenced me to look at better integrateds.

I searched, I read, I waffled. Didn't want a built-in DAC, I was sure. When I found the Mark Levinson No. 585 review in Stereophile, I became intrigued. Way, way out of my range, financially. And it had a DAC. A damn good one. Then e-stat came along, telling me I could rip all my CDs to FLAC using a Raspberry Pi. Beyond my current skill-level, but I am a reasonably intelligent guy and hope to figure it out. Will likely be PMing him a few questions in the coming weeks. So maybe I do need a good DAC, after all.

Kitty kept growing, as I kept waffling, failing to pull triggers on the Halo Integrated, or a Bryston cubed, or anything else. Only considered new, because I've been burned too many times buying used, but Mister Pig suggested a used late-model amp, and the No. 585 could be had, in excellent condition, for slightly more than half the new price of twelve grand.

"You can buy a pretty decent used car for that." (Christine)

"Haven't driven in six or seven years. Listen to music hours every day."

When I started thinking about life expectancy (how long would I get to listen to this system?), I realized that I needed to change my thinking. Screw that, I want a 585, and that is where I'm headed.

So now that I have it, is it worth the money? Sonically, resolution, timbre, dynamics and every other aspect have improved greatly. So for me, every cent.

Subject cont'd from... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mark-levinson-no-585-integrated-amp.790622/

No audio enthusiast substrata were harmed
in the writing of this, uh, whatever-it-is.

Last edited:
You can't take it with you, and very few tombstones are engraved with the words... 'If only I had scrimped and saved more'.

You done well! Enjoy this fine addition like you do with your Khorns! The sting of the money spent now will be soon soothed by the years of enjoyment of great sound...

Congratulations on your new to you ML 585. Buying this level of gear previously owned is the way to go.
Could it be time to start a Levinson owners thread? There are a few of us out here.
Happy listening!
Jimmy

Suspect it will take all of a week to forget what it cost.

Some things in audio you've just got to do and, as long as you have the discretionary $ on hand, its the right decision.

Let's face it. McIntosh and Klipsch together are a classic pairing. Especially tubed models. Or any other old tube amp with Klipsch, especially the old, big Klipsches, like my '76 Khorns. But Mark Levinson and Klipsch? That sounds like some rube hit the lottery. And while I hit no lottery, I am the AudioRube. Me and my listening pals take turns sitting in the sweet spot, just four feet from the spittoon.

Here at AK, we have a democratic representation of audio enthusiasts. The high-enders usually want nothing Klipsch around, with their screechingly shrill upper mids/lower treble, their honky no-wonder-they-called-them-squawkers mids, and spitty tweets all combining to run them from the room with ear-bleed. Some of the diy-guys are certain they can build better gear themselves; I only know I can't. Vintage collectors prefer silver faces and strung tuners, and would much rather rejuvenate a classic amp than buy a new one. Those who pride themselves on spending the absolute least amount possible think buying modern amps for big dollars is wasteful.

Obviously, those are caricatures, painted with a wide, virtual brush, but including kernels of truth. So who cares what I think about the sound of this unlikely pairing? Well, nobody. But almost all of us care about sound, at least to some extent. There are a very few who's real enjoyment comes from taking a broken component and bringing it back to life, but don't listen as much as they tinker. However, tinkerers include some who are obsessed with SQ, too. We're all over the place in the spectrum of audio.

I've loved Khorns from the first time I ever finally heard a pair in the 80s, back when I could hear the (about) 16khz flyback noise of television as clearly as a doorbell. They failed to make my ears bleed. Later, after hearing speakers with smoother response, I recognized some of the Khorn's colorations. Shrillness at high volume being among them. Oddly, I have heard the same from speakers more highly regarded among some audiophiles, that somehow eluded the often vehement criticisms Khorns endure.

At any rate, several of those "better" speakers just lacked what I like about Khorns - their huge, yet intimate, presentation. Bottom line, as far as money goes, I have three grand in a pair of highly presentable (cosmetically) Khorns, but I had a midfi preamp and a BOTL $230 amp to drive them. I'd heard Khorns sound much better, and being basically house-bound, I listen to a lot of the thing that draws most of us here, the music. So I saved up and began the process of deciding on amplification.

I kept resisting the idea of actually spending a lot; maybe a Yamaha integrated would suffice. But I didn't pull the trigger. I remember how good Khorns sounded with NAD, then how much better with Audio Research. The latter was the kind of sound I wanted. I bought a custom-built ST-70, and that was a very nice improvement, until I discovered that tubes and I don't play well together. I put too many hours too soon on an amp. So I sold it in B-town and shipped it to Honolulu.

And added that back into the kitty, taking a nice loss on the sale because I included all the sets of tubes I'd ordered, but the kitty was growing anyway. I was looking at separates, of course. And then along came Mister Piggy with his new-to-him JBLs that certainly look like they mean business (would love to hear them) and his powerful NuVista integrated amp. Influenced me to look at better integrateds.

I searched, I read, I waffled. Didn't want a built-in DAC, I was sure. When I found the Mark Levinson No. 585 review in Stereophile, I became intrigued. Way, way out of my range, financially. And it had a DAC. A damn good one. Then e-stat came along, telling me I could rip all my CDs to FLAC using a Raspberry Pi. Beyond my current skill-level, but I am a reasonably intelligent guy and hope to figure it out. Will likely be PMing him a few questions in the coming weeks. So maybe I do need a good DAC, after all.

Kitty kept growing, as I kept waffling, failing to pull triggers on the Halo Integrated, or a Bryston cubed, or anything else. Only considered new, because I've been burned too many times buying used, but Mister Piggy suggested a used late-model amp, and the No. 585 could be had, in excellent condition, for slightly more than half the new price of twelve grand.

"You can buy a pretty decent used car for that."

"Haven't driven in six or seven years. Listen to music hours every day."

When I started thinking about life expectancy (how long would I get to listen to this system?), I realized that I needed to change my thinking. Screw that, I want a 585, and that is where I'm headed.

So now that I have it, is it worth the money? Sonically, resolution, timbre, dynamics and every other aspect have improved greatly. So for me, every cent.

No audio enthusiast substrata were harmed
in the writing of this, uh, whatever-it-is.

Glad to hear you got the 585 installed and playing music, without the wife killing you. It is also awesome to hear that it is a significant improvement in every aspect of audio playback. A person who loves music and audio really should have a superb system at one time in their life. Buy it once and buy it right. Sounds like you have gotten exactly what you were hoping for, and I hope you get many many hours of musical bliss from the system.

Regards
Mister Pig

Yeah but....the.....the Klipsch aren't doing that amp justice, I got ear bleeding just thinking about it.:p

Ha ha ha , congrats brother, happy listening any damn way you want to.:beerchug:

"This one says digital input."

"How many wires are you hooking up?"

"Until we are done, I guess."

"Well, how many do you have in your hand right now?"

"Two."

"What color are they?"

"Red and white."

"And what does red mean?"

"You said match the letters, red is right."

"And is the digital input right or left?"

"I don't know. They don't put the red and white next to each other. They don't even use colors. All the rights are on the left, and all the lefts are on the right - if Mark Levinson is so smart, then you'd expect him to get that correct. Left and right is pretty basic."

"He's what they used to call an idiot savant, baby. Can't even feed himself, but an electronics genius."

"I used to believe you when you said stuff like that, but now I can tell you're lying."

"I liked you better then.. so gullible. Anyway, do any of the digital inputs have a left or right marking anywhere?"

"I don't see any. Wait, I remember you said digital have just one wire because they mix ones and zeros so they could put the left and right together."

"Close enough. So how many wires are you hooking up?"

"Two. Oh, that means it's analog, you said. So I don't hook up analog into a digital thingy because bad things will happen."

"Okay, so if you aren't connecting there, then you need to look somewhere else. Maybe somewhere that has a left and a right?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I remember now. Okay I plugged them into same-labeled thingies, one on the left and one way over on the right. It would be faster if you just told me instead of test me."

"The idea is that the next one you plug in will be faster after I remind you what you know - you're applying what you've learned."

"Well, you're right, I guess 'cause I just hooked up the tuner while you said that."

"Smart girl. Good girl. Such a pretty girl. Lie down, roll over. Come on, be a good, good girl."

"I'm gonna get up and beat you with something if you keep using your Jumper voice on me."

"I tremble in fear."

"Now I don't see anywhere to hook up the Klipschorns."

"You mean they forgot to put binding posts on ours?"

"I don't see any."

"Unless they did leave them off, they should be pretty big."

"Well, I don't see them! Just tell me."

"Katrina."

"Katrina? Oh, hurricanes. Yeah, I remember now! Hmm, the left one is on the right, so I have to cross the wires?"

"I don't think so. Try this. Drop one pair, and keep one in your hand... Now which one are you holding?"

"It comes from that speaker over there."

"Is that the left or right speaker?"

She twists sideways, "That's the right speaker."

"So plug your bananas into the one labeled Right."

"Ohhh, I see. That's why they put them on the wrong side."

"Exactly."

"Well, finally, everything is hooked up. Can I plug them in now?"

"Plug the antenna into the tuner first."

"Now which one is the tuner?"

"It's that little bitty one in the middle, the Sony HD model."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember. Okay, done. Can I plug into the wall now?"

"Please do."

"God, I hope it all works, but I'm not getting up off the floor until you check them all."

"You really are learning, baby."

Last edited:
Yeah but....the.....the Klipsch aren't doing that amp justice, I got ear bleeding just thinking about it.:p

Ha ha ha , congrats brother, happy listening any damn way you want to.:beerchug:

I would rebut with something about Martin Logan, but truth is I like the brand. Spent a lot of time (hundreds of hours) with a friend's. I do like my Khorns more, but, hey, nobody's perfect.

"This one says digital input."

"How many wires are you hooking up?"

"Until we are done, I guess."

"Well, how many do you have in your hand right now?"

"Two."

"What color are they?"

"Red and white."

"And what does red mean?"

"You said match the letters, red is right."

"And is the digital input right or left?"

"I don't know. They don't put the red and white next to each other. They don't even use colors. All the rights are on the left, and all the lefts are on the right - if Mark Levinson is so smart, then you'd expect him to get that correct. Left and right is pretty basic."

"He's what they used to call an idiot savant, baby. Can't even feed himself, but an electronics genius."

"I used to believe you when you said stuff like that, but now I can tell you're lying."

"I liked you better then.. so gullible. Anyway, do any of the digital inputs have a left or right marking anywhere?"

"I don't see any. Wait, I remember you said digital have just one wire because they mix ones and zeros so they could put the left and right together."

"Close enough. So how many wires are you hooking up?"

"Two. Oh, that means it's analog, you said. So I don't hook up analog into a digital thingy because bad things will happen."

"Okay, so if you aren't connecting there, then you need to look somewhere else. Maybe somewhere that has a left and a right?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I remember now. Okay I plugged them into same-labeled thingies, one on the left and one way over on the right. It would be faster if you just told me instead of test me."

"The idea is that the next one you plug in will be faster after I remind you what you know - you're applying what you've learned."

"Well, you're right, I guess 'cause I just hooked up the tuner while you said that."

"Smart girl. Good girl. Such a pretty girl. Lie down, roll over. Come on, be a good, good girl."

"I'm gonna get up and beat you with something if you keep using your Jumper voice on me."

"I tremble in fear."

"Now I don't see anywhere to hook up the Klipschorns."

"You mean they forgot to put binding posts on ours?"

"I don't see any."

"Unless they did leave them off, they should be pretty big."

"Well, I don't see them! Just tell me."

"Katrina."

"Katrina? Oh, hurricanes. Yeah, I remember now! Hmm, the left one is on the right, so I have to cross the wires?"

"I don't think so. Try this. Drop one pair, and keep one in your hand... Now which one are you holding?"

"It comes from that speaker over there."

"Is that the left or right speaker?"

She twists sideways, "That's the right speaker."

"So plug your bananas into the one labeled Right."

"Ohhh, I see. That's why they put them on the wrong side."

"Exactly."

"Well, finally, everything is hooked up. Can I plug them in now?"

"Plug the antenna into the tuner first."

"Now which one is the tuner?"

"It's that little bitty one in the middle, the Sony HD model."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember. Okay, done. Can I plug into the wall now?"

"Please do."

"God, I hope it all works, but I'm not getting up off the floor until you check them all."

"You really are learning, baby."

While you guys were doing that, I had unpacked 2 rebuilt Phase Linear 700B's (from member Bonzoro), that are being run to 2 (stacked) sets of DQ-10's.
First, the signal from the pre-amp/DAC. had to be split.
Then speaker wires run through the (drop) ceiling.
Just for fun, the two amps had opposing setups for the Red & Whites...huh?

It's all working now, but one set of speakers plays the music backwards.
I was wondering if you could check with your installer, and see if she does online tech service consultations?

Back
Top Bottom