Short RCA + long speaker cable or long RCA and short speaker cable?

I’m a Newbie but my guess would be ..
If running True Balanced signal wire ,then go up to 10’-15’ with signal wires..
If running Single Ended signal wire , keep the signal wire short up to 2’-5’..
Max length for Speaker wire ??
Don’t think I would feel comfortable going more than 15’-20’ with Speaker wire..

Don’t think I would feel comfortable going more than 15’-20’ with Speaker wire..

Okay, he admitted he's a noob making a WAG, so let's go easy on him, fellers. Careful, noob, you never know when one of the lions might be hungry. :biggrin:

It's easy to go up in gauge with speaker wire to compensate for a longer run.

But, you can't go up a gauge or two with RCA cable...or can you? If not, then what can be done with RCA cable to compensate for the longer run, if anything?

True balanced as in XLR and or TRS? Heck, I have gone 50ft without problems there.

Low impedance paths (strong current) are more "stiff" than high impedance paths (weak current). From an EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) standpoint the strong current paths are more immune to interference than are the weak current paths. Therefore you want to have the least exposure (smallest length) in the weak current path - the line level RCA path.

It's easy to go up in gauge with speaker wire to compensate for a longer run.

But, you can't go up a gauge or two with RCA cable...or can you? If not, then what can be done with RCA cable to compensate for the longer run, if anything?

There is nothing to compensate for in line level at this length. It's a high impedance voltage bridge. The current of the signal is so miniscule there is effectively no loss of level.

And, with anything remotely resembling decent shield, the odds of picking up noise in home environments is about as close to zero as can be without actually being zero.

Last edited:
True balanced as in XLR and or TRS? Heck, I have gone 50ft without problems there.

Yeah, balanced can go a long, long way. Check my report out on a 700-800ft balanced cable made from Cat5 Ethernet wire. In DIY a few months ago, I think.

If the output impedance of the pre-amp is low enough and the input impedance of the amp high enough and you use good balanced inputs and outputs, then the shorter the speaker cable the better. . Unbalanced RCA isn't going to make that much difference either using low loss cable in either case. If you were using tube units of old with high output line level impedance, you would definitely keep the RCA cables very short and run heavy speaker lines.

If you were using tube units of old with high output line level impedance, you would definitely keep the RCA cables very short and run heavy speaker lines.
Not trying to worry anybody - but I once fed a computer audio jack (low output impedance) through about 24 feet of some well shielded RG6 coax (foil and braid) into a high impedance RC network (to attenuate and "pre-unequalize") which in turn fed an unused PHONO input jack (also high impedance).

The new jury-rigged AUX IN setup sounded great - clean, bright, full, not smothered and boomy. Except when I turned on and off the hall lights, the bedroom lights, the bathroom lights, etc. Pop pop pop pop ...

I have my setup - pre and sources - away from my amp and speakers. I am using a 25 ft Blue Jean interconnect and it is working flawlessly to connect to my amp. I have 5 ft speaker cables.

A pair of unbalanced (RCA to XLR) 6.5 meter IC's and four 5' speaker cables have worked well for me for many years. REW and a calibrated microphone say there is no high frequency roll-off in the audio band when using my (hybrid preamp) ARC SP-9MkIII.

It doesn’t matter, you won’t hear a difference

Sure will if you use different quality cables in the mix. No reason to further open that can of worms until we work out the answer for the OP.

.a long RCA cable is not preferred! The shorter the better. Long speaker cables are not as bad at 18'

With mono amplifiers, short speaker wire is the ticket. Easy to craft the best for the situation since they are short. The longer line level cables are not a problem at that short a distance and good cable here can make that work very well. I know Kenwood's highly respected L-0xM mono amplifiers came with 1-meter speaker wire for sonic reason and the preamp for the series got the long interconnect for the preamp to the amp.

Back
Top Bottom