• Yes

Votes: 79 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 56 41.5%

• Total voters

loopstick

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know this sounds like a loaded question - but it's a poll. You can either vote Yes, or No, or nothing at all. Comments optional.

800.jpeg

LOL, having to watch and hear Joan Jett trying to sing and raunchy dance to "Do You Want to Touch Me" at the age of 50 something as if she were still 22 - My vote is unequivocally NO !!!!!
Of the top of my head, I have sat through too many old Geezer shows in the past few years. With that said, Alice Cooper a month or so ago was a win. Ozzy and Black Sabbath, original members was a win. Heart - so so, Cheap trick, great guitar, vocals weak, REO Spudwagon- NO!, Rick Springfield - NO! Deep Purple - No Vote, very uneven, some spectacular songs, some were ouch. YES, either variant - NO! Kid Rock - YES! The Rolling Stones - NO! The Late Tom Petty - No Vote, uneven. KISS - Still worth seeing (First saw them when I was 13. My date "fell asleep" so I have a soft spot, but most others would say NO! Parliment Funkadelic (bootsy, delbert, george, et. al.) - YES, a lot of younger guys. Joe Bonamassa - Heck Yes, everytime!

Shoot, most of the arena and ampitheter shows really aren't worth the $$$ anymore. The sound sucks, the food and drink is overpriced. I love live music and will go to a bar or club in a second to hear live music.
It seems my final vote is NO! save your money and support young and new bands, artists and groups.

Joe Bonamassa +1. He was rockin' Syracuse (Dinosaur BBQ) when he was 12 and I was doing radio there. The only geezers that perk me up are Fleetwood Mac and Eagles. That's just me but I came from pop radio...listened to it, dj'd it and programmed it

The cool ones often were cool for the same reasons they are dead now.. Burning it from both ends so to speak. The ones left alive probably took care of themselves, being less cool because of it. Of course exceptions in both camps and I don't require the musicians I listen to to be cool. Cool has little to do with the music.

OK - now that we have a little bit of a quorum. In general - they're not. The creative and inspirational fires have long gone out. They might be able to put together a fun and rousing nostalgia tour - but that's it. In the 1990's Neil Young was the Grandfather Of Grunge and Tom Petty doubled down on his original influences and the results just kept getting better and better. But these are the exceptions. The rest of these guys like Mr. Aerosmith - nope.

Metallica still deliver, esp. on stage. Others that still got it: Gov't Mule, Bob Halford & Judas Priest, (as you pointed out above) Neil Young & Tom Petty, (until his death) Chris Cornell,(as pointed out above) Richard Thompson, Black Sabbath (though rumoured to have entered retirement), Van The Man, several other acts. But sure there a slew in the Aerosmith category.

I cast no vote, since I can come up with so many examples on both sides of the fence--so it all depends.
Fair enough. I deliberately excluded an option for "Maybe", "Sometimes", "It Depends", etc., cuz I didn't want the poll to be swamped by a bunch of AK Kumbaya clicks. I don't think anybody seriously believes that they're ALL cool or ALL uncool.

I wish I could say "yes", but honestly I have to say "no". Rock Stars get older and older and once the day has come better not to perform anymore. Their music, however, will remain young forever, and this fact is decisive.

Fair enough. I deliberately excluded an option for "Maybe", "Sometimes", "It Depends", etc., cuz I didn't want the poll to be swamped by a bunch of AK Kumbaya clicks. I don't think anybody seriously believes that they're ALL cool or ALL uncool.
Well you sorta skewed the poll by posting that pic like you did....!
That one probably should retire.

Glad you appreciate my point of view--there are some that were cool back in the day, and still are--there are others that thought they were cool, but were just assholes, back then, and still are today, then there are the pathetic--they had their moment 30-40-50 years ago and are trying too hard to re-live that time, and it isn't working. In the last decade or so, I have gone to a lot of "reunion" tours, and some have been great, and others have just been pathetic. Perhaps the worst are the bands/artists that feel the need to release and tour a new album after a 30 year hiatus, expecting it to be as successful as their last hit--that more than often fails miserably and fans aren't there to hear that new crap--we want to re-live our childhoods too--play the old stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom