Is there a value in this auction gear?

If they sell the pieces by themselves get the amp and preamp then if you have enough try for the tuner and TT but I can tell you that if I was at the auction 2k would not be enough because I would bid them up to 4k.

Regards Snow

Yeah, get the gear, worry about restoration later. Are there speakers?
There are some speakers, but not the ones he had hooked up. I do not remember what kind they were but they looked like the attached speakers. I do know this man spent mad money on audio.polk.jpg

I'd start considering my next bid once I crested $4000. But then again, I would want to win that lot. There are also many bidders that might not even start until it hit near there.

/so i would probably lose

Assuming the speakers at the location are positively identified as Polk SDA 1.2 those are well worth going for as well. Probably not the best match with the MC240 however...

Last edited:
Whatever you do, do not tell anyone your location and in the future do not give any specifics such as it is an estate auction nor post any pictures because others will google the pictures and look up estate sales in their area to try and outbid you on these items.

Regards Snow

I too would recommend stretching to get this stuff or at least part of it. You don't run across this stuff - I've been to scores of auctions, estate and garage sales, hundreds even, and have seen a grand total of one Mac tube amp (a 40, which was mono and needed a mate). Especially since you knew the owner and listened to it with him.

I wish you luck, rain, and severely stubbed toes that morning for your competitors. :bigok:

Whatever you do, do not tell anyone your location and in the future do not give any specifics such as it is an estate auction nor post any pictures because others will google the pictures and look up estate sales in their area to try and outbid you on these items.

I think "Felix" is already out of the bag on that count...:oops:

Run Forrest, run! If the tuner is working properly, an alignment should be $100 or less. Just be sure to find a competent tech. You can get help with that on AK.

I have owned well over a dozen tuners and I believe you will be very happy with that one. If not, please help it find a good home.

I too would recommend stretching to get this stuff or at least part of it. You don't run across this stuff - I've been to scores of auctions, estate and garage sales, hundreds even, and have seen a grand total of one Mac tube amp (a 40, which was mono and needed a mate). Especially since you knew the owner and listened to it with him.

I wish you luck, rain, and severely stubbed toes that morning for your competitors. :bigok:
Yup they do not show up often here either maybe big cities but not smaller towns, there is a lot to be said for just having to load it up and take it home too no worries about shipping costs or damage. I have bought everything Mc related that I have seen locally except for a package very similar a MC-240 C-22 MR-66 and 2 MC-30's for 6k which the fellow backed out on or they would have been mine too

Regards Snow

BTW @opusarlo - Welcome to AK.
wave.gif

I agree with much of the above, if you can get them for $2k then it's a great investment. I've had Mc gear and it is always "money in the bank".

However there is also the other side. My Son has lots of great gear, but can't afford to get it all in shape. He is constantly considering selling part of it to repair the rest of it, ... If you can get this gear at a great price but can't afford to get it going, you might want to just "flip" it. If it all works, you're golden there.

Another problem with this is you're very much tied to high-efficiency speakers (which typically is vintage stuff with weak LF response). I've had this too, huge EV to little AR, it is doable. However, as also an SX-1250 fan I choose the SX-1250 over some of my McIntosh because of the flexibility (and yes, it really is an excellent piece of audio equipment when properly restored) of having a 200wpc/4ohm capable amplifier. A 40wpc tube amp is nice, but high-power SS is nice too and very flexible.

If there is more than one other bidder in the room I bet starting bid is 2k. This is a prime example where you should throw a high first bid out there. If opening bidder starts it out at 2k you promptly bid 3k to cut to the chase. I think you could go to 4k and still be ok.

If there is more than one other bidder in the room I bet starting bid is 2k. This is a prime example where you should throw a high first bid out there. If opening bidder starts it out at 2k you promptly bid 3k to cut to the chase. I think you could go to 4k and still be ok.
Not to hijack this guy's thread, but I don't understand this at all. What if the other guy only has $1500 liquid? What do you gain by throwing out a high bid? What do you lose other than a few minutes by letting the bids proceed?

100 increment bids give lots of others to get on board. The amt will quickly be reached to 2-3k. I've won many of auctions by jumping the bid by quite a bit. I frequently can shut other bidders down.

I think with this auction either there will be 2 or more serious bidders or there wont be, if the serious bidders are there the one willing to bid the most is going to win if not it might go for next to nothing and certainly nothing to gain by bumping the bid up at the start. I have won thousands of dollars of gear before for less then 100.00 at an auction. Much is going to depend on if the auctioneer knows enough to start it out high or low and if it has a reserve. I can say with certanity that the winning bid will be either less then 500.00 or more then 3k likely closer to 5k if the Auctioneer or estate company took those pics they are either incomptent and or place no value on the gear because they would have cleaned them up and took better pics if they did so it might go for next to nothing if there is no audiophile or flipper there if there is plan on spending some money.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom