It feels like I am in heaven

Will be keeping an eye on this. Including what type of powersupply caps to use to replace the 8 big ones and the 2 double ones in the powersupplies. I wanted to use Fine Tunes for the 8 big ones however I think those will be too big for the X1 receptacles.....

Will be keeping an eye on this. Including what type of powersupply caps to use to replace the 8 big ones and the 2 double ones in the powersupplies. I wanted to use Fine Tunes for the 8 big ones however I think those will be too big for the X1 receptacles.....

Yes they are too big, just enough that makes it a non-starter, the replacements must be 40mm diameter.

I made templates, and measured again and again and jockeyed everything for position, but I still couldn't make it 'come right' using ~50mm replacements. :(

It would have been nice if it could have worked, but I am confident the ones I have chosen will get the job done, low ESR and High ripple current, and the all-important 40mm diameter, but not as tall as the old ones. I also wrestled with restuffing the 'Main 8' to keep that look - but that didn't work for me either.

Still some technical details to work out, but we'll see in the coming days how it all pans out...

Progress report.

One of the auxiliary PSU capacitors removed and opened.
IMG_2250.JPG

Replacement capacitors joined, paying close attention to polarity ;) and wires attached. I used multiple stands of thin wire for the +ve & -ve terminals as this is more manageable in a confined space, and a single thicker wire for the centre connection. I have also drilled three holes in the terminal disk to allow the wires to pass through and be soldered to the terminals.
IMG_2254.JPG

I was a bit concerned that I might have difficulty opening the can and preserving the rim so the capacitor can be re-sealed. What helped me here is choosing a screwdriver whose blade and shaft fitted in between the capacitor terminals, with a bigger screwdriver the terminals hindered opening the can considerably.

Last edited:
I still have the two original 10000uF/50V 4-pin Elna caps from an AU-317 (and 4 other BHC ones from a RB-981 Rotel, year 1996, which are now measuring ~7,430uF and have same dimensions of the old Elnas), I still want to do the same, fitting two new fresh smaller ones into the original cans, like you did.

Nice! I'm glad to see that there are others out there who are sticklers for details.

My wife just thinks I'm bonkers.:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom