1st Press or Repress you choose for me please.....

daza152

Hey guys here's a unique way to look at collecting out of the ordinary, I have a list of 1st pressing albums from the 90's I love and want but not able to get them all as 1st pressings and will need to buy as a reissue/repressing and need your help. Please give me your opinions on whether or not the albums listed should I get as a 1st pressing or reissue based on price and quality of sound . thanks

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese dreams
Beck Odelay
white Stripes Elephant
Radiohead The Bends
loveless My Bloody Valentine
Blur Modern Life is Rubbish, Parklife, Self Titled
Ryan Adams Gold
Alice in Chains Dirt
Stome temple pilots Purple, Core
In Utero Nirvana
jeff Buckly grace
Dookie Green Day
Nuetral Milk Hotel In the Aeroplane over the Sea
Stone Roses self Titled
The Doors self titled

Thats about it for now if you can give me some sound advice on what to do or issues that I should look at please let me know, thanks.

daza

I would not worry too much wether the LP is a reissue or a repress from the same master, as long as its an official release and not a garage copy, but more as if the record was remastered wich affects much more the sounding of an album and you may like or not.

Usually I've found "recent" 90s LP to be of great quality, on heavy "180g" vinyl mostly and they do sound fine.

I would not worry too much wether the LP is a reissue or a repress from the same master, as long as its an official release and not a garage copy, but more as if the record was remastered wich affects much more the sounding of an album and you may like or not.

Usually I've found "recent" 90s LP to be of great quality, on heavy "180g" vinyl mostly and they do sound fine.

What ben_ says. Plus, much of the music in the 90s was issued primarily, if not entirely, on CD on first issue, so finding a first LP press of some of those releases is going to be difficult anyway. If I were starting out with an LP collection today, I'd stick with new reissues, because they'll tend to be clean and pressed on quality vinyl. Even the Doors LP is going to sound just fine on a reissue.

daza, Personally I think you'v been brainwashed with internet chatter that generalize first pressing are the best sounding.

We've been though this a number of times and nothing could be further form the truth. Each title needs to be evaluated, a 60s record could have 30 different mastering and 100 pressings matrix numbers. A pressing from the mid 80s could be what the general consensus feel is the best sounding, and a collector will feel the first press is the most valuable.

The Doors self titled or any studio album by the Door's we would look to Analogue Productions remasters at 45 speed 200g records. They are absolutely stunning and there is nothing out on vinyl that would beat their sound quality.

daza, Personally I think you'v been brainwashed with internet chatter that generalize first pressing are the best sounding.

We've been though this a number of times and nothing could be further form the truth. Each title needs to be evaluated, a 60s record could have 30 different mastering and 100 pressings matrix numbers. A pressing from the mid 80s could be what the general consensus feel is the best sounding, and a collector will feel the first press is the most valuable.

The Doors self titled or any studio album by the Door's we would look to Analogue Productions remasters at 45 speed 200g records. They are absolutely stunning and there is nothing out on vinyl that would beat their sound quality.
I'm not even sure what kind of coin would be needed to find a clean original pressing? Can't be cheap, or easy.
I don't own either an original or the AP, but I gotta say a nice reissue(like the AP) would be the way to go.

daza, what kind of pressings are out there for that Ryan Adams?
Finding an original can't be that hard. And if you can't, I'm not sure a reissue would be much different.
I know there was a pressing that had red and blue vinyl, and one with clear vinyl, but me thinks that is just getting into 'collector' territory.

Thanks to all you guys for your opinions that I value so this has certainly saved me litterally thousands haha. and I appreciae that very much!!!

or the Doors self titled 50th anniversary deluxe limited edition 3CD + 1LP set this should be a nice issue? is it safe to say the anniversary editions on most albums are pretty good?

Back
Top Bottom