Polk 1.2s for $450 a good deal?

msg1975

I'm picking up a pair of Polk 1.2s for $450 tonight. I'm still not sure if they're the earlier or later version. I haven't seen a set sell here in a long long time, and nothing on the bay has sold recently either. Just a $3k pair listed forever.

Anyone have an opinion on worth? I can still back out, but considering the other players in the field for $450, this sounds like a great deal.

My plan is to drive them with a Sony N77ES 200wpc amp. I also have two Sony N9000ES amps that I can bridge to 200 WPC that I could use instead. I'm concerned they might be underpowered with 200wpc.

Why do I get the feeling that you're jesting with me?
Most likely because you allready know that they are worth far more then 450.00 as far as being under powered at 200 wpc no worries I have ran them at 35 wpc and they sounded great.

Regards Snow

If they haven't fallen out of the back of a speeding pickup truck then that's about 1/3 of their present going rate. What are they worth.......if you have the right room and right electronics driving them they just may be lifetime keepers chasing away all contenders like mine have for the past several years.

Well, I'll report back tomorrow. But it isn't a joke. Just had self doubt.
As motorstereo said they are very nice speakers and they will beat the crap out of speakers costing much more, if for some odd reason you don't like them sell them for double or triple what you paid no way to lose at 450.00 if they are working and look even semi decent.

Regards Snow

Geez, if you don't get them tell me where to get them, I'll drive there myself and get them no questions asked!

Get them.

I've tried TONS of different amps with various SDAs and they sounded their absolute best from a 1962 Fisher 800b tube receiver that was just benchtested at 18 wpc.

They're very efficient speakers. SDAs just need high current. Your Sony will do just fine.

Well, I was delayed a day, but they're finally in the back of my truck. And for the $450. One rubber surround is damaged, and a small tear in one grill. But otherwise they look great. They're 1.2tls with original tweeters. The sale included the interconnect cable and original manual.

The first thing I learned about them is that they're really heavy....

Anyway, the seller had to take down his CL ad. He was getting 20-25 emails a day. He stood by his word and sold them to me even though he was apparently offered more money. I had replied first to his ad (within 15 minutes) and had committed to buying them.

I'm looking forward to getting them set up.

Congrats looking forward to pics and yes they are almost 200 lbs each so a handfull for one guy.

Regards Snow

O.M.G. I thought I knew what a virtual soundstage was, but I really had no clue.

I couldn't wait for my buddy to come over tomorrow to help get the speakers in. So I did it myself with a handtruck. It wasn't easy, but it was doable.

I have some nice speakers. I've had some nice speakers. The house is currently full of Polk LSi series, and I have my Rectilinear Mini IIIs. I've had Cerwin Vegas, Sansui, Bose, B&W, Paradigm, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. But I've never heard a set of speakers as nice as these. I listened to them in the dark for a few hours with a multitude of different types of music. I could swear there were instruments playing where there were no speakers. Playing Dark of the Moon, there were cash registers and clocks ringing all over the room. Listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D, I could swear there was a full Orchestra in front of me. Tchaikovsky's Overture of 1812... I have no words... I listened to some Hank Mobley, and Keb Mo, and Miles Davis. It was a whole new experience.

I'm so happy that I bought these.

Congrats on landing those fine speakers for a great price and tl's to boot:thumbsup:. I can just bet the seller was getting lots of offers for more money and could've easily gotten it.

That's awesome. Congrats on the most desirable of all the SDAs and some of the best speakers ever made. Sounds like you're already experiencing the SDA effect in full, but just in case, be sure you have them setup according to Polk's recommendations. 6-12" from the front wall, 3' open on either side, at least 6' apart (preferably more).

In fact, if you haven't already, you should spend some time looking at The SDA Handbook: http://www.vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf

There will be plenty of people recommending you jump right in and spend 4x what you paid for them to upgrade them in all sorts of ways. Of course that's up to you, but after going down that path myself (and considering you have the newest version with the best tweeters), I would simply grab another woofer off ebay for $30 and just sit back and relax. In my opinion, the upgrades are fun to do, but expensive with not much auditory return on investment. And if you ever want to sell them, no one will want to pay for your upgrades. They'll pay for what the stock speakers are worth. Which in this case, however, is far, far more than what you paid.

Welcome to SDA land: A magical place where you'll be shunned by your audiophile buddies as listening to a gimmick, where there are more misconceptions about power, current, and efficiency than you can shake a stick at, and where "necessary" upgrades somehow turn already world-class speakers from ho-hum dumpster fires into amazing dragon slayers.

Just enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom