Are Old Rock Stars Cool?

Are Old Rock Stars Cool?

• Yes

Votes: 80 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 56 41.2%

• Total voters
I cast no vote, since I can come up with so many examples on both sides of the fence--so it all depends.

It really does depend. More are not so cool anymore. Some lived hard lives and look really scary now. It helps if they act their age too.

I appreciate humbleness and musicianship, if they still have that then they're cool in my book.

I’ve seen and heard too many older rockers with hip replacements and voices that were shot. The answer is ‘no’ too being a cool old geezer.

There are probably exceptions but on the whole.....NO....not cool. The creativity and ability are long gone.

I enjoyed them back in the day but now explore newer music. Feel no need to keep riding the same old worn out horse.

can there be a maybe or depends? I mean Robin Trower, Paul Weller, Brian Ferry are ARE ALL COOL and older.
I spoke to that in an earlier post. If I put some inoffensive option like "Maybe" the AK "no attitude" Herd Instinct would oblige everyone to click on that and defeat the poll.

At a local 'music ' (not rock) fest we have had many older rock vets perform. The ones who act their age are still cool; Emmy Lou Harris - total class, Richard Thompson - owned the audience, David Lindley- had them rolling in the aisles, Leo Kottke- absolutely cast a spell...

Those who still think they can strut like they did decades ago are definitely not cool.

Sorry I couldn't cast a vote.

Not really sure.
I only recently started watching/listening to interviews of some of my favorite performers (60's-70's rock is where most of my favorites reside).
Man, some of them sound like blithering idiots when not performing. Not cool then, and probably not cool now.

I think I'll have to go back to knowing them only through their music...

Is Les Claypool considered old? Watch Claypool-Lennon Delirium on Front Row Boston. Very cool. The guy's a NUT. And a great bassist.

We saw Nick Lowe last night with Los Straightjackets backing him at the Birchmere. Mr. Lowe has aged gracefully by NOT pretending he is 40 years younger than he is. He has restyled many of his hits to suit his voice, tempermant and reflect his experiences. This reinvigorates the songs. He has written a couple of new songs as well. It was a truly enjoyable evening. I find him to be one of the few exceptions to the old rockers are disappointing truism. Stanley Clarke would be another I'd put in the category of still cool as he changes his backing band and includes young artists. yeah, it's mostly fusion jazz but the man can still play.

Some of the guys mentioned aren't really old rock Stars ...
Bonomassa is a newby, relative to all those other folks mentioned - born in 1977, he's only 40 ... meh.
Kid Rock? Not much older (born in '71) he's only 46s ... still YOUNG! - meh!
I love Kottke to death, and would see him next time through town, Cool, but he's not rock.
I still need to see Richard Thompson - Cool guy, whatever he is :)
I do have tickets to see Fripp and the current King Crimson next weekend ...
Fripp was born in '46 - he's 71, venerable, and probably cool ;) Heroes!
Then again, he's never done the guitar windmills and jumps of Pete Townshend ... and disdains the whole guitar god thingee

Last edited:
Maybe the truly great ones have gotten it out of their system and can accept (or even welcome) the authentic ravages of time -

After all - many of their heroes were the old blues guys.

I voted yes. I think the rock star tag versus musician tag can be a bit murky. I saw John Mayall perform when he was 70 years old and he was definitely cool.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom