Can someone recommend an FM antenna that works with old receivers?

Tom D

Can someone recommend a good 300 ohm FM antenna that works with old receivers? Or am I better off using the 75 ohm port? Do I need to get one of those 300 ohm to bnc type adapters and get a more modern antenna? I'm a little lost and could use some guidance.

I'm having trouble with FM stereo reception. Looking for something that doesn't run up my wall or install outside, and isn't an eyesore.

Thanks

Well it's going to be hard to find something invisible. A simple flat lead dipole tacked to the wall behind the stereo usually works great for moderately close stations.

I use recycled TV rabbit ears for FM, they work similarly to the flat lead dipole.

You don't need anything fancy or digital or HD or powered/amplified unless you have special conditions.

And use whichever input the antenna fits, and if there isn't one it fits, you will need a small Balun transformer to convert.

Look for a TERK (or similar) amplified indoor antenna, it should include a balun to use the 300 ohm connection, if not they're pretty cheap.

Can someone recommend a good 300 ohm FM antenna that works with old receivers? Or am I better off using the 75 ohm port? Do I need to get one of those 300 ohm to bnc type adapters and get a more modern antenna? I'm a little lost and could use some guidance.

I'm having trouble with FM stereo reception. Looking for something that doesn't run up my wall or install outside, and isn't an eyesore.

Thanks

What are you using now? What have you tried? Is this ground level, upstairs, basement, high-rise...?

What are you using now? What have you tried? Is this ground level, upstairs, basement, high-rise...?

Right now I'm using a loop style antenna but I cant be sure that it is even doing anything. There are no labels on it and it was laying around. It might be for AM only. Stereo is upstairs at the moment.

I'm just trying to get a local station that's close by to come in stereo. My Yamaha CT810 picks up great, but I can only get it in mono on an old Marantz SR7000g. The Marantz shows it has full signal strength but wont lock in to stereo and attaching the antenna I have makes little to no difference.

Look for a TERK (or similar) amplified indoor antenna, it should include a balun to use the 300 ohm connection, if not they're pretty cheap.

Ill have to look into this, might work for what I need at the moment, Thanks.

I have one of these in the loft/attic: https://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-30-2435-OUTDOOR-OMNIDIRECTIONAL/dp/B00DHHOZBI

It would probably be better mounted outside the house -- I live in an area of marginal FM reception -- but it's fine for the rare times I listen to FM.

Depending on the reception quality in your area, something as simple as this might be fine: https://www.partmaster.co.uk/product.pl?pid=340159

Ideally yes I would like an Omni antenna like that and stick it in the attic of the garage and then wire the room with the stereo but right now I'm looking for an easier solution.

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!!!

The circular antenna is in fact an AM antenna. It will not do much for FM.

Sometimes even a single wire (about 3-4 ft. long) attached to one side of the 300 ohm inputs or the center conductor on the 75 ohm input will pick up FM.

If all you've tried is an AM loop, try rabbit ears, or a folded dipole. Until you get some, try 30" or so speaker wire hanging down or threaded up behind a cabinet.

Last edited:
You have heard this already: "Rabbit ears"

These work great.
They far outperform the simple T-shaped dipoles that come with most receivers.

Could be an equipment issue since you are showing full signal strength. Try the simple wire. After that you may need some repair work.

I've had good luck with BIC beamboxes. A simple, but effective little box, that is passive... basically there's nothing to go bad - as long as it looks OK, it should work! They show up on eBay pretty regularly - usually around $20

Last edited:
Not if you get those cool old 50's atomic rabbit ears
23932752408_3724ec3ecc_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom