REO Speedwagon -- Hi Infidelity

You may be right. I always thought of these guys as country boys who decided to rock it while allowing their rural/country/Midwest roots to flavor their work. (Think: 1973's "Ridin' The Storm Out.")

Of course, that is just my feeling. I may be hearing something in the twang that really is not there in the music. Thanks for noticing that point.

The great, flat central plains of Illinois had and have a penchant for country-tinged rock. In addition to REO, the fertile crescent of Urbana-Champaign / Decatur / Bloomington-Normal / Peoria yielded Head East, Roadside Band, and Appaloosa.

I was in college and "worked" at our campus radio station when this was released. It would be an understatement to say there was a great deal of anticipation for this album. Our station philosophy was to play what the commercial stations weren't. We had a few on our staff that had this in heavy rotation the first week by which time the commercial stations were all over it. Just as well. We were done with it by then. It was OK, but wore out its welcome quickly.

Well engineered album that sounds great in LP format. The vinyl has the wow factor you are looking for as demonstration record that shows off your system.

Friday Night Fights!

Kevin Cronin vs. Gary Richrath = Jack Bruce vs. Ginger Baker = Dennis DeYoung vs. The Rest Of The Band

Ain't Rn'R fun?:D

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Perahaps a bit too "pop" for some but I like it.

Yes, I do recall that was the point at which I missed the days of watching REO Speedwagon playing in cornfields at local college keg parties throughout the midwest. Nothing like their earlier performances.

I have the album and bought it brand new back in early '81 in time to put it on cassette for a trip to Florida in April.

I was a young man. Still enjoy it now and then.

As to the "Midwestern twang" of the Kevin Cronin. . . he does have an unusual voice for someone from Illinois or the Midwest in general I think. Always sounded a bit nasal to me, but is his style.

"Midwestern twang". . . ?:scratch2:

I may take umbrage with that. . .. :D

That album always reminds me of a particularly pleasant 1984 summer day that I spent listening to High Infidelity with a particularly pleasant young lady.

A. That's why I'll never get rid of my records.
B. Class of '79 here also.
C. My rule: when the ladies were in the car they chose the music.

yes 79, high school.. it was on super heavy rotation, as well as playing live here in NW oHIo, like enough....when it was
not playing it was Styx Come sail away...over and over...........We were really ready for the 80's

I bought this album when it 1st came out. Loved it as a kid. A couple years ago I found a half speed mastered version and was thrilled. Totally still love this album. I know the music is on the cheesy side, but it brings back good memories.

I dont like this album as much as thier 1984 record,THAT ONE I LOVE!!!

Every song also............

I was 13 when this came out and everyone bought it. This past summer i saw them for the first time (was never much of a fan) and was completely shocked at how much I enjoyed them. I've since gone back and listened to not only this record again but many for the first time. I absolutely love 'You Get What You Play For', especially 'Like You Do' and 'Golden Country".

This album is my third-favorite REO album, and I love it. My #1 and #2 favorites are the album that came right after this: Good Trouble, and the last album with Gary Richrath on it: Life As We Know It.
I love how Hi-Fi starts off with a low feedback from Gary's guitar. The vocals/lyrics/overall song presentation are extremely confident, and Kevin Cronin is one of the best songwriters (and singers) I've heard. His pronunciation is always clear, and you never have to wonder what it is he's singing.
My favorite song on Hi-Fi, is, without a doubt, Tough Guys, which enjoyed a great deal of success on the air, amidst darkness from everywhere: Running With the Devil, Not Talking about Love, tunes from Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and "AC/DC".
Tough Guys was one of the biggest coups des tat in pop music history. It was a direct jab at all the bands of the era that felt the need to project a "big and bad" image. I have a special place in my heart for Tough Guys.
It is my opinion that Take It On The Run (written by Gary Richrath) is one of the most well-crafted tunes ever, and although it is one of the earliest of the genre, is the best rock ballad I have ever heard. Gary's solo is a case study in how to create a compelling and meaningful solo. Tenderness and determination are in equal supply in this song, and I think that is one of the reasons it works so well.
Shakin It Loose, like Tough Guys, is another high-flying rocker. While a tiny bit more sedate than the later Let's Be Bop (or the earlier Back On the Road Again), it was classic REO, especially in concert.
I enjoyed very much the 1950's flavor of In Your Letter.
Although I hate it when I hear the word "love" supplanted for "sex", Keep On Loving You is still a masterpiece. Follow My Heart, Wish You Were There and Someone Tonight always satisfy, and show Kevin's remarkable songwriting talent.
The music to Out Of Season should have been re-written with a snappier line and more hooks, with perhaps a comic edge, because of the several other tunes on the album that had a sad tinge to them.
REO created a much more controlled sound with Hi-Infidelity than on their previous albums with Kevin Cronin and Bruce Hall. Speaking of Bruce, I think he and Kevin is one of the best vocal duets in rock (hear chorus on Shakin' It Loose).
Kevin Cronin's exemplary showmanship and talent shine brightly on Hi-Infidelity. With a rythymn section of Alan Gratzer and Bruce Hall, there was only one way this album was going: Up.

Last edited:
Hey now....there's nothing wrong with the bands you mentioned. They might not be your favorites, but dismissing their performance and songwriting skills because they differ from REO (certainly a great act) is displaying an uninformed opinion.

Even though I liked this album at the time of it's release, I have come to see it as a portent of the demise of REO. They went from a rock band (157 Riverside Avenue, Riding The Storm Out, Back On The Road Again) to a pop band (Take It On The Run, Keep On Loving You). And even though Kevin Cronin was definitely an amazing vocalist, my favorite song was Back On The Road sung by Bruce Hall.

Even though I liked this album at the time of it's release, I have come to see it as a portent of the demise of REO. They went from a rock band (157 Riverside Avenue, Riding The Storm Out, Back On The Road Again) to a pop band (Take It On The Run, Keep On Loving You). And even though Kevin Cronin was definitely an amazing vocalist, my favorite song was Back On The Road sung by Bruce Hall.

The LP does sound pretty good albeit over produced as had become the trend at the time. The album was easy to make fun of probably because many of us had seen them in rocking harder in concert, but for me personally it was hearing "heard it from a friend who..." ad nauseum on every radio everywhere I went for so many months.

Riding the Storm Out is a very good album but I do love REO TWO, especially the tune "Like you Do". There are some other gems but overall the earlier period exemplifies a modestly talented band finding their sound whereas with Hi Infidelity, the producers forced their sound.

The LP does sound pretty good albeit over produced as had become the trend at the time. The album was easy to make fun of probably because many of us had seen them in rocking harder in concert, but for me personally it was hearing "heard it from a friend who..." ad nauseum on every radio everywhere I went for so many months.

Riding the Storm Out is a very good album but I do love REO TWO, especially the tune "Like you Do". There are some other gems but overall the earlier period exemplifies a modestly talented band finding their sound whereas with Hi Infidelity, the producers forced their sound.

They, like many bands, were victim of the "heavy rotation" syndrome. REO rocked just as hard on the H-Fi tour and subsequent tours as they did before-hand. Gary wrote Take It On The Run, and its still my favorite rock ballad. The song actually MEANS something (has cohesive, coherent lyrics), and that's more than I can say for a lot of tunes.
"Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend"? If you haven't had your heart ripped out by actually experiencing something like this, then it maybe can seem contrived.
If Lay Me Down had appeared on the Hi-Fi album, you'd object to it.
I think Good Trouble rocks a little harder than Hi-Infidelity, but with the volumnous airplay of tracks on Hi-Fi, I think we were all glad to see REO getting the recognition that they long-deserved.

Back
Top Bottom