Why Is Dark Side Of The Moon ..Pink Floyd ...Such A Great Album?

DSOTM is performed in its entirety at the "Pulse" concert, which I have on laserdisc and on the 2005 DVD release. The DVD brings me to near audio nirvana, and has done to several folks that have experienced in on my main rig, with the lights out and the big screen on. One day I will finish my home audio lighting synthesizer and get it installed in the room with the main rig.

I am a light man, and am challenged to produce an affordable "stage" lighting system for the living room. I have a functioning prototype, but a couple of the effects modules have yet to be fabricated and programmed. What I have already is hypnotic.

Enjoy,
Rich P

In large part you can thank radio. 1973 was the twilight of "progressive" or "free-form" radio...deep cuts, entire sides/albums, stony jocks w/appropriate commentary. Other than members of the "cognoscenti", the vast majority had never heard of Pink Floyd. Stations glommed on to the album and gave it incredible airplay. Tons of listeners said "I HAVE to have that!" and immediately went out and purchased their own copy. It was also responsible for the sales of a large amount of stereo gear. And the juggernaut began its roll. DSOTM is one of a handful of albums from that era that truly stands the test of time...as others have posted it still sounds fresh just shy of 45 years after release. Think of this: 45 years prior to its release Paul Whiteman was the cat's pajamas...don't think his catalog has the legs PF's does:)

Back
Top Bottom