eBay question about unreasonable refund

Thocom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I sold a tuner about a month and a half ago on eBay, I listed it as, “nice condition with the exception of the Stereo lamp is out” very clearly.

The buyer received and left positive feedback.. all good, right?
Today I get a “defective item refund request” saying the buyer wants $100 bucks because the stereo light is out? WTH.

The only option I have is
1. Accept return
2. Refund buyer
3. Give partial refund
4. Send buyer a message.

I chose 4. Obviously. I said basically, what the heck, I put it in the description that the stereo lamp is out, you had the piece for well over a month and left positive feedback?

I haven’t heard anything back. I’m just afraid eBay will just automatically side with this guy who is trying to basically rob me and take the money from my account? I cannot find a way to speak to anyone at eBay about this. I suppose I will wait to hear back from the buyer..

You need to contact eBay NOW, not wait for things to play out.

Try this link: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?que...+issue+with+a+buyer&st=6&levelHierarchy=3a5a8

Scroll to the bottom, and (while logged in) select the Report a Buyer link in the "Misuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee or other policy violation" section. That should produce a link where you can associate the request with the item in question. I'd advise pushing past the automated process to actually calling eBay Support; once you get an agent on the phone, explain the details calmly. I would be surprised if they don't resolve this in your favor very quickly.

John

True

EBay is now better handling the scam buyers.

And, please also report the buyer here:

https://badbuyerlist.org/

Try this link: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/sr?que...+issue+with+a+buyer&st=6&levelHierarchy=3a5a8

Scroll to the bottom, and (while logged in) select the Report a Buyer link in the "Misuse of the eBay Money Back Guarantee or other policy violation" section. That should produce a link where you can associate the request with the item in question. I'd advise pushing past the automated process to actually calling eBay Support; once you get an agent on the phone, explain the details calmly. I would be surprised if they don't resolve this in your favor very quickly.

John

Last edited:

John

Thanks. I went through that process now and reported the buyer for making unreasonable demands, and stated that they were asking $100 for a lamp that I clearly stated was out in the description.
I got a “thanks for letting us know” and it states that it’s confidential.

I didn’t get any option to speak to anyone, but I guess it’s good that it’s now on the record with them?

Thanks. The person got a great deal, and this is most definitely someone trying to get over. I sold the thing for what I paid for it, it just wasn’t what I wanted in the end, so I sold it. Hopefully I don’t get burned. I don’t sell that much stuff on eBay, so thanks for the pointers guys.

You need to call eBay ASAP. Talk to a rep, and explain that there's a return case opened against you that you would like closed. Calmly explain why. Odds are they'll close it in your favor, which means any feedback left will be removed as well.

If the buyer responds tell him it is all or nothing have him send it back on his dime I bet he refuses.

Regards Snow

I had a buyer ask for a refund 85 days after the auction. Made up some story of not able to use until the day he opened the case. Called Ebay immediately and they said buyers have 30 days. They told me to reject any claim and tell him to pound sand.

Call ebay ASAP like has been suggested by others and explain to the person on the other end. They should see this as a clear case of their words to me once, "buyer's remorse" and side with you.

Barney

And I've a buyer asked for a full refund after, yes, one and a half year . Claimed that the phone card he bought turns out to have no money left! He even said he had already sent it back to the following (My) address. Want the money back as soon as possible!

$25 in total

Oh well....

I had a buyer ask for a refund 85 days after the auction. Made up some story of not able to use until the day he opened the case. Called Ebay immediately and they said buyers have 30 days. They told me to reject any claim and tell him to pound sand.

How long ago was that,the buyer currently has up to 6 MONTHS to claim not as described through PAYPAL,assuming that was the payment used.

The buyer can also do a charge back if paid with a credit card,if i remember correctly it's normally 120 days.

So, the buyer closed the return/partial refund request saying “sorry, mistook the wrong item”.. weird.

I think he was thinking I would just refund the $100 bucks without putting up a fight!
So, no harm no foul.. thanks all for the advice.

How long ago was that,the buyer currently has up to 6 MONTHS to claim not as described through PAYPAL,assuming that was the payment used.

The buyer can also do a charge back if paid with a credit card,if i remember correctly it's normally 120 days.

Just recently, Ebay's policy is 30 days and yes, Paypal is 6-months but the buyer did not go down that road and ebay suggested that I do not relay that onto him. He needed to do his research.

I think eBay is 45 days now. The thing about eBay vs Paypal now is that you can seriously file a claim on eBay, get denied, then file it with Paypal as well. Used to be against the rules, but not anymore. The only thing is that you're not allowed to win a claim in one place and then file at the other.

and stated that they were asking $100 for a lamp that I clearly stated was out in the description.

Stereo indicator lamp out can sometimes mean a burned out bulb. Other times the circuit that drives the bulb when a stereo signal is detected may be shot.

I just had a forced return. Guy claimed item did not work which is bull. It was an automotive trim piece with an option switch. The buyer wanted to add that option but he did not know that extra hardware is needed. I had to pay for return shipping plus my stats got dinged with a returned item.

Back
Top Bottom