Buying 1ST Pressings....Today?

daza152

Hey guys, it was just occuring to me that rather than trying to buy 1st pressing of tbhe 1990's I should be looking at what albums are coming out today, and pick them up now for a good price rather leaving it for years and wishing I had bought them. Can anyone recommend what artist have produced work thsat should indeed be hard to get later on? The first one that comes to mind is Radiohead just look at The Bends and OK Computer, so the album A Moon Shaped Pool 2016 2-LP on White Vinyl is already at the point of being unobtainable for me $99US who else should I be looking out for? Thanks.

Daza.

You're overthinking this, buy the records you think you're going to enjoy and that you can afford. No one can really tell which ones will get expensive since it depends on so many factors.

As for Radiohead: The only pressing where I would dole out some serious cash is the In Rainbows Discbox Edition, those 45s kill everything. Other than that I'd just get the recent reissues on XLR and the OKNOTOK version for OK Computer.

Sorry my crystal ball is a lil' fuzzy today, let me see if I can make this out?

Yep, there it is. Ball says "Herb Alpert, Linda Ronstat.......oh wait Stadt, wooo almost messed that one up, and John Denver."

I just buy the new releases I want to listen to. I bought the new album Sleep Well Beast by The National a few weeks back. had a choice between two colours, and got the blue one that said it was limited on the hype sticker. It may go up in price, but I'll enjoy owning it and listening to it in the meantime. Life's too short to spend money on music one doesn't like.

You're overthinking this, buy the records you think you're going to enjoy and that you can afford. No one can really tell which ones will get expensive since it depends on so many factors.

As for Radiohead: The only pressing where I would dole out some serious cash is the In Rainbows Discbox Edition, those 45s kill everything. Other than that I'd just get the recent reissues on XLR and the OKNOTOK version for OK Computer.
I got the OKNOTOK album on black vinyl and might be able to score a A Moon Shaped Pool on white soon, other than that I'll wait I think for new re-releases like the OKNOTOK to come out and others like that sounds easier and they are all good to play and listen to too.

I'm fuzzy on the intent of this thread. Is it to pick up albums that will increase in value later on? If so, MoFi products are smart purchases.
Or is it to pick up albums from artists you like that may go up in price late on? Well then, just buy the albums when they are released. Everything pressed these days is limited.
If you are looking for investment opportunities, steer clear of vinyl, buy real estate or stocks!
Anyhoo...

if you are serious about this, go to your local distributor/reseller that handles these "new"
releases and pay to get a position at the top of the line.

and buy two, one to play and the other is an investment. keep one sealed. and find out
if they are truly first pressing (how do you know if they're sealed?).

make sure the collection of bands/singers are complete. nice to have all 17 pressings
rather than the last 4. and all in sealed pristine shape.

I would spread the luck and a wide range. think Radiohead will be an instant winner
30 years from now and with 50+ albums? (I can point to Lee wiley 1930s, Gogi Grant
1950's, Cat Stevens 1970s, all of which I like but wouldn't pay more than $1 per CD
or LP)

I have far better luck with classical and I suspect it will be as it grows in strength
in the 2nd and 3rd world countries as they emerge into the middle class. look at
the pianists and violinist out of China and Korea. playing works that have been
around for 200+ years.

but since this is a hobby, go forward and enjoy the music.

Back
Top Bottom